Notify
Tools

Lidl and Aldi Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
This should be interesting!

They are building a brand new Lidl (German grocery chain) near us. It just so happens that an Aldi is going into a closed supermarket building not a half mile away, it was a nice building but the store (Acme) just never made it in that location.

We shop weekly at the existing Aldi near us and like it for what it is and I vaguely remember Lidl from my time in Germany 20+ years ago.

I wonder if both can exist so close to each other like that?

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
Seems lidi is going up market here in the US.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
When I lived in Germany, I always preferred Lidl over Aldi. I had no idea they were coming to the US. I've been going to Aldi for years but they are the only one in town.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7058 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Looks like Lidl has its headquarters in Arlington, VA and plans it first set of stores in VA, NC, and SC. They have one planned for Chantilly while there is an Aldi in Chantilly. Maybe they will use the vacant store next to Aldi or the old Kmart store near by that is presently getting an upgrade and is large enough for Lidl.

List of stores for VA:

Virginia — 33 stores

Bristow
Chantilly
Charlottesville
Chester
Christianburg
Culpeper
Danville
Dumfries
Fredericksburg (4 stores)
Hampton
Lake Ridge
Leesburg
Manassas
Mechanicsville
Newport News (2 stores)
Norfolk
Richmond (8 stores)
Roanoke
Suffolk
Virginia Beach
Warrenton
Woodbridge

Locations in other states:

http://www.businessinsider.com...ons-in-the-us-2017-2

Nothing like more competition and weekly sales to save money.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:

Culpeper

This new store is probably less than an quarter of a mile from the Aldi, which are both right next to little Mexico aka. WalMart. It's funny how so many places can be stacked on top of each other, even in a relatively small town. Can't wait for Lidl to open though. Looking forward to some goodies I haven't seen for a while.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:

Looking forward to some goodies I haven't seen for a while.

I hope they carry this, the best little cup of rice pudding ever.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I can't believe how good the Aldi brands are, and how inexpensive. We are shocked every time we go. Their quality destroys the Giant house brands and the price is a fraction of theirs. For example, they sell clones of Girl Scout cookies like Tag--a-longs and Samoa's that are as good or better and $1.39 a package.

Haven't tried Lidl, but the store they are building is huge by comparison to Aldi's which are small. Frankly, that's part of what I like about Aldi. Easy to find stuff and get out, no lines.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Giant has a union so their prices are really high. I only shop there for their sales items like corn in the summer time.

Aldi has Brussels sprouts on sale for 99 cents at times, carrots, and other produce. They started taking credit cards last year and I am sure it helped their business.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
quote:
Originally posted by 41:

Culpeper

This new store is probably less than an quarter of a mile from the Aldi, which are both right next to little Mexico aka. WalMart. It's funny how so many places can be stacked on top of each other, even in a relatively small town. Can't wait for Lidl to open though. Looking forward to some goodies I haven't seen for a while.

So when is the planned opening of Lidl? I go by there every two or three weeks.

Map:

https://www.google.com/maps/di...9685385!2d38.4869771

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
..it was a nice building but the store (Acme) just never made it in that location.

People just don't buy that many anvils these days.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Looks like 3 Lidl heading this-a-way. Aldi is about 4 miles from me and currently closed for 1 month to expand (double in size). Don't know where the Lidl is going.

There are only a few things I buy at Aldi.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
Looks like Lidl has its headquarters in Arlington, VA and plans it first set of stores in VA, NC, and SC. They have one planned for Chantilly while there is an Aldi in Chantilly. Maybe they will use the vacant store next to Aldi or the old Kmart store near by that is presently getting an upgrade and is large enough for Lidl.

List of stores for VA:

Virginia — 33 stores

Locations in other states:

http://www.businessinsider.com...ons-in-the-us-2017-2

They missed at least one NC location a bit, the store is opening in Morehead City not Havelock (about 12 miles away). Its about a half mile from (and half way between) Harris Teeter (high end) and Wal-Mart. Be interesting to see how they fare, out here in the sticks.

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
So when is the planned opening of Lidl? I go by there every two or three weeks.

Not quite sure. Was just through there last Saturday and they have the structure up but still working on the parking lot. I'd say it'll be opening in the next few months though. Maybe June...Maybe. Just read an article that says end of 2017 but I think they'll be ready before that. I just found out that the distribution center is going to be by the Luck Stone Quarry on Rt. 3 though. Pretty interesting.

What brings you through Culpeper every few weeks? Do you have family in the area?

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:What brings you through Culpeper every few weeks? Do you have family in the area?

I have another place in Waynesboro so I go by Culpeper.

Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I've shopped at the Aldi in Sterling, VA on occasion. Everything I've heard says that Lidl is opening a store in Ashburn later this year. The construction is well under way, even though it's not on the list.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post

Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
..it was a nice building but the store (Acme) just never made it in that location.

People just don't buy that many anvils these days.

Always nice to start off the day with a big laugh and sipping a cup of coffee (just not at the same time!). Big Grin

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
Looks like 3 Lidl heading this-a-way. Aldi is about 4 miles from me and currently closed for 1 month to expand (double in size).

Our Aldi just finished an update/upgrade. And Lidl is moving in here as well.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
I can say that Publix and Walmart have lost a big part of my business over the last few years to Aldi.
Mostly based on price to shop. I still go to Publix for thing I can't get at Aldi.
It will be interesting to see if Lidl will take business away from Aldi.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
My family went to the Aldi near us, one time. I was not impressed with the moldy fruit they were offering. The store reminded me more of a warehouse.

I'm looking forward to what Lidl has to offer.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post