SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best cheeseburger you ever had?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 14
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best cheeseburger you ever had? Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
This thread reminds me of the biography of Lee Iacocca where the chef at the Chrysler exectutive dining room was asked why Lee was always complimenting him on making the best hamburger..

He said it's not too hard when you start with 1/2 pound of Prime filet mignon!

That's funny because it was Henry Ford II in the Ford Excutive dining room and New York Strip when my grandfather told me the story. Ford said they had the best burgers there and his employee, Lee Iacocca, asked the chef to see how they were made.

For my best cheeseburgers:

The Doodleburger - Scill's Grill, Rogers City, MI
The Buckhorn Burger - The Buckhorn Bar & Grille, Trout Lake, MI

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trapper189,

Posts: 10912 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
Two that I remember best:

Jack Brown's Beer and Burger Joint in Harrisonburg, VA

And some walk-up burger stand in Los Angeles. The burger was cooked on a griddle, had just the right amount of crusty edge, with a couple of slices of melted American cheese on top, and put on a buttered bun that was just greasy enough to call greasy. No condiments. Just meat, cheese, bun and grease.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
My own, since they are made exactly the way I like them.

If you're talking about restaurant type, I worked at Bell Labs in Holmdel NJ back in the early 1960s. There was this really sleazy bar on Rte 34, called Molzone's -- you know the type, dirt parking lot, the whole wooden building tilted slightly to the left, pool table that had not been level for decades, if ever, slight odor of urine wafting over the place, but the bartender knew how to make a great burger.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30644 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
2001 or 2002, a joint in the Scottsdale Mall, ground level, near the parking garage exit. The chips were made on the spot as well. $15 for the platter, still a lot of money. I think the rolls were buttered then stuck in the salamander broiler thing.

I went back the following year but it was not there any more.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
The Fishing Bridge General Store, Yellowstone NP. It was everything I remembered from 1960s era diners. Grilled perfectly on a toasted bun with the perfect batch of fries washed down with a perfect fountain Pepsi.

Despite being a few years back, we still talk about it from time to time. It's not often one can be transported back to some lunch counter 50 years ago.

Fishing Bridge General Store

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
Jalama burger, served only at the Jalama beach cafe on the central coast of CA. Its an isolated beach and campground miles down a narrow curvy road off Hwy 1 south of Lompoc/Vandenberg AFB. People will drive hours on the weekends just to come there for a burger.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3446 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
Chubby’s in Waldport, Oregon, and I’ve eaten a lot of cheeseburgers. Nothing more than a roadside stand with a couple of picnic tables out front, but fantastic burgers and fries.

Posts: 1809 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
The best is the one I make in the backyard on the Weber. The next best was some hole in the wall place on the Oregon Coast that I'm not sure I could find again. Wendy's makes a really good cheeseburger as well.

Jim

Ding, ding, ding. Winner.

Never had a burger that was better than I made myself.
+1

Prime grade ground beef smoked at 225 on my BGE with only salt and pepper as seasoning. No darn eggs or bread crumbs to turn it into meatloaf either.

Topped with a slice of a high quality cheese purchased from the deli.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23218 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
I’ve had many really good cheeseburgers, too many to remember, many of them at Boll Weevil in San Diego, but I do recall the worst.

Intercontinental Hotel, Geneva, Switzerland. Working the currency exchange, it was $37 in real money! Just awful, weird lettuce, weird cheese, weird pickles, strange bun. I guess they felt like they had to have it on the menu, but their heart really wasn’t in it. But luckily, my mother in law was buying.

Possibly they looked at you funny when you picked it up to eat it. I watched a couple of blokes in an English pub eat burgers with knife and fork.

my Brother , his then wife, and my Mother did a euro tour in 2008, bus trip kinda thing,

one stop in or near Paris and they went into a restaurant to eat,
my Brother is a meat and potatoes kind of eater, no greens, not may veggies, and little to no understanding of anything but English,

he sees a sign at the entrance , big juicy hamburger, and under it the sign said Bitburger,

so he ordered on,

Mom said the look on his face was priceless when they put a tall glass of beer in front of him, then asked him what he wanted to eat,,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
When I lived in the Twin Cities, years ago, there was a chain of restaurants named "Embers". I frequented one of them on Central Ave, just south of I-694. The Emburger Royal, a bacon cheeseburger, was the best that I've had. It featured a proprietary BBQ sauce, and the top & bottom bun was perfectly grilled (that makes a big difference).

As for the worst – I spent a summer in Frankfurt, Germany. The German food was great, but I was really craving a good hamburger. Finally found a place that had an "American Hamburger" on the menu. Turned out to be kind of a meatloaf patty on a kaiser roll. Did not hit the spot. Frown

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8933 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Wife and I are craving burgers now. She's off to the market now to pick up some ground beef for lunch. Wink

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
local version of What A Burger is damn tasty,
Roy's Big Burger in Lakeside is good too,

Carytown Burger and Fries does an outstanding burger,

all in RVA,

in Charlottesville, Riverside ,
excellent burgers , really good fries, and just a hole in the wall, (think it used to be a 7-11 )

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Honestly, it was a Burger King Triple Whopper. But I brought it home and added my own sharp cheddar and Tobasco to it.

....that's like competing in the 'stock sedan' class using a custom modified '34 roadster

quote:
It isn't rocket surgery to make a truly fantastic hamburger.

agree....yet there are times when something truly special emerges above & beyond mere 'fantastic'

For this thread I discount the 'burgers' I've truly enjoyed that have something extra beyond the bare 'cheeseburger'; places with fried eggs/ham/condiments extraordinaire/etc are in a 'super modified' category.

Will be pondering what 'best cheeseburger' I've ever had & post later.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Wife and I are craving burgers now. She's off to the market now to pick up some ground beef for lunch. Wink

LOL. Sig Forum is not here just to inspire you to buy more guns!

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Drive thru pickup would be Whataburger
Sit down place would be at The Tin Cow.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
The Ruth Chris here in Alpharetta. One day I swang by for a lunch. The special that day was burgers but they were made from their ribeye steak meat. That had been ground in-house. Sweet Jesus that was a good burger.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
Drive thru pickup would be Whataburger
Sit down place would be at The Tin Cow.

Tin Cow is the second best, best is done medium rare on my BGE with Bacon/Avacado Salsa and Havarti cheese

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
I have had a pretty good cheeseburger at La Select on St Barths - named the original "cheeseburger in paradise" (although some say the song references Tortola, whatever). It was good.

Tough to place an absolute "best" - but for day in day out pretty damm good, Five Guys works for me.

Cheeseburger with lettuce, mayo and jalapenos with fries and excellent peanuts while I wait.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
Just hit one of my two favorite places over the weekend on probably my last cycle ride of the season, and happned to take a pic...the iconic Dick's, a burger landmark(s) chain here in the Seattle area...my pick of the menu is the orange-foiled Deluxe:

The other is Herfy's, which is another local NW chain (which also has great fry sauce).

I've had many fancier cheeseburgers at more upscale and boutique places, but I can't say that they've been any better than these two simple chains.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
The best cheeseburger I ever had was grilled for me by Eddie Belfour on the deck of his house, the meat had been prepared by his live in gourmet chef.

As far as the best I've ever had commercially, I'm an In-n-out fan.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post