SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Amazon Dot?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amazon Dot? Login/Join 
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted
I bought/sent one to my brother, thinking he might like it.

My wife got me one for Christmas. It's actually pretty cool, and I'm having more fun with it than I thought I would.

Any other members have one? Tips, advice, or skills?

I don't have any smart home features, so I just listen to music, set timers, ask the occasional Chuck Norris joke...

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I'm tempted to get one myself and the $50 for the dot almost has me reaching for my wallet ... I was intrigued with the Amazon "Echo" but wasn't going to pay the $139, ($199 IIRC when they first came out)

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5706 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
That thing practically records everything said in the room and saves it to the cloud.

No. Thank you.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I've had an Echo for about a year now. Picked it up when Amazon was running a deal on them.

I use mine to play music and get weather. I like the new dot that you can connect to speakers for better sound.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
That thing practically records everything said in the room and saves it to the cloud.

No. Thank you.

Since I am not discussing plans to take over the world or reciting my credit card numbers, it doesn't really bother me if the device records me and my wife talking what to have for dinner.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:

Since I am not discussing plans to take over the world or reciting my credit card numbers, it doesn't really bother me if the device records me and my wife talking what to have for dinner.

Neither am I, but I prefer to make the NSA work for their information, thank you very much.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Youngest (engineer) son got one. Pretty cool. It learns when you ask it questions. It may not be able to answer the first time around, but it will retrieve the info from the web and have it ready the second time through.

Wife liked it and thought it was fun and she is a total iPhone screwing up/computer breaking Luddite. Maybe she can't hurt this device, so I got her one on the way.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

No. Thank you.

So the extent of your private conversations is what's for dinner? I find that hard to believe.

But I'm paranoid by nature, so...

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Have had the Echo since it came out, it's pretty cool. We use it in the bedroom for the music, to set alarms, and to ask for the weather.

A friend sent us a Google Home for Christmas, and I coincidentally bought a Chromecast for the living room TV. The Google integration between devices is slick. I can tell my phone to start a song downstairs on the Home, or tell the Home to play a music video from YouTube on the Chromecast, etc.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
It works through your Wi-Fi (and Bluetooth locally), and responds to voice commands you have pre-programmed. It uses your Wi-Fi connection to do exactly the same thing you would do with your computer keyboard. If you believe your wireless connection is not secure (speaking to the NSA fears), you should increase security or stop using it. The type of wireless device on your network is irrelevant. Broadcasting wirelessly is not risk-free, but many of us accept the risks for the convenience, with all the precautions we can install. Problems arise when we have insufficient security installed, or none, or worse, aren't even aware of the risks.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
If you want Google/Amazon/Facebook/NSA/whoever to be mining all of your conversations and data, go for it. I'm with Balze on this one, not a chance in hell you'll find one of those in my home.

My sister thought it would be fun to get an Alexa a few months back. She discovered that Alexa "learns" from you. Your likes, dislikes, music preferences, food preferences, previous searches, etc.... Even being the big government pinko commie progressive that she is, it freaked her out and she got rid of it.

Me? I like my privacy.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
What's the difference between the Echo and the Dot?

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
SIG Forum would be a good place for NSA to mine conversations, should they choose to do so. Smile

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

My sister thought it would be fun to get an Alexa a few months back. She discovered that Alexa "learns" from you. Your likes, dislikes, music preferences, food preferences, previous searches, etc.... Even being the big government pinko commie progressive that she is, it freaked her out and she got rid of it.

Me? I like my privacy.

Those that have privacy issues do you use Amazon, any streaming music services, order food online, use a grocery store card.

Unless you are paying in cash and using no store cards that privacy ship sailed long ago.

Grocery stores have been mining your shopping habits for years even before Amazon or Facebook where even thinking of doing it. They make you use their store card to get the best prices. Every time you scan that card they are tracking your purchases.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kx90:

http://www.androidcentral.com/...which-should-you-buy

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kx90:

Echo is a larger device with a (pretty good) built-in speaker. Dot is about quarter of the size of the Echo, with a not-as-good speaker. The Dot can be connected to an external Bluetooth speaker of your choice for better sound quality; Echo is strictly Wi-Fi. They both operate identically - you give it a voice command to take some action: make a purchase (through Amazon), tell you the weather or time (anywhere), perform math calculations, read Wikipedia articles, read news from whatever organization you set up, send a shopping list to your phone, set an alarm or timer, read a recipe to you while you're cooking, tell you when Cary Grant died, identify state capitols, tell you the distance to Neptune, play music (from a wireless device or the Internet), tell you a joke, or virtually anything else you can incorporate into a question or command that you might perform with your computer.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Wife won a dot at the company christmas party which was great as I got to return the Echo to Amazon and save $140.

Big difference is size the Echo has a large speaker for the money the dot is the way to go.

It responds well to commands we used it to play holiday tunes for the family christmas dinner at the house. Not much more yet, my guess is it will go to the side and not get used a ton.

If the NSA is tagging our conversations it's
not going to learn much. Probably be significantly bored...

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
SIG Forum would be a good place for NSA to mine conversations, should they choose to do so. Smile

Difference is you have to consciously type something into SF, or even FB or Twitter. Something sitting there listening to your every word: Not so much.

No thanks.

I found out that Google, bless their hearts, had enabled Google Now to be listening all the time on my phone. Put an end to that, too.

(When my not-so-smart watch dies: The Google Now launcher will be removed entirely or disabled right after I un-install Android Wear.)

quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
Those that have privacy issues do you use Amazon, any streaming music services, order food online, use a grocery store card.

Unless you are paying in cash and using no store cards that privacy ship sailed long ago.

There's a slight difference between your shopping habits being profiled and every word you speak in the "privacy" of your home being monitored.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

Me? I like my privacy.

Grocery stores have been mining your shopping habits for years even before Amazon or Facebook where even thinking of doing it. They make you use their store card to get the best prices. Every time you scan that card they are tracking your purchases.

Huge difference between me googling "baby diapers" and getting an advertisement for Pampers on every website I visit, and me having a private conversation with my wife in my home about having a baby and then getting bombarded with ads for baby stuff. That's a line I don't want to cross.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:

Difference is you have to consciously type something into SF, or even FB or Twitter. Something sitting there listening to your every word: Not so much.

No thanks.

I found out that Google, bless their hearts, had enabled Google Now to be listening all the time on my phone. Put an end to that, too.

(When my not-so-smart watch dies: The Google Now launcher will be removed entirely or disabled right after I un-install Android Wear.)

quote:

There's a slight difference between your shopping habits being profiled and every word you speak in the "privacy" of your home being monitored.

Neither of these devices "listen" to anything you say unless you activate them with a voice command, just like my car GPS works. Yes, they could be secretly bugged to go straight to Joe Biden's email with Dragon transcription. All several million users. CIA could be tagging my picture window with a laser pickup. Aliens could be farming my thoughts (other than the aliens I already know about). Life is risky. Choose wisely.