SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Laptop Help Requested
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Laptop Help Requested Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted
I have an ASUS laptop K53E, it's about 4 years old, and a good part of the keyboard has stopped working. I plugged in a regular USB keyboard and that worked for awhile. Now the K letter is stuck, it's not the external keyboard as I have plugged in several different external keyboards and the problem persists so I assume it's the laptop keyboard that's now royally screwed up.

I really don't want to buy another laptop at this time, so I'm thinking to get a replacement keyboard and try it. How hard are they to replace and where should I buy one? Will I need a special tool?

If that works I'll be happy until this fall and then buy a new laptop at Black Friday. Thanks in advance. Gene

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
ASUS laptop K53E

Not terribly hard to replace.
Can be a little tricky to make sure the ribbon connector is in solid.
The first placed I googled:
https://www.battery-adapter.co...cts_id/3997/vK53E-1A

YMMV

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I did some googling but just wondered about reputable sellers and quality parts.

I'll order one and give it back whirl.

I'm kind of getting the impression that many makes and models may use the same keyboard?

posted Hide Post
You might want to replace the CMOS battery at the same time if it has one buried inside like my asus A52F.

Posts: 512 | Location: Pearland, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Since you're going to replace the kb, why don't start by unplugging it and keeping the USB as main one until you get the part.

I would try the device manager first and disable the onboard keyboard, see if that cures your sticky K. By any chance is it dirty under the surface or may the connectors have suffered any kind of trauma?

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12106 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
How hard are they to replace and where should I buy one?

Not difficult at all. Just make sure you know how to open the machine up far enough to get to the screws that attach the keyboard. GOOGLE it if you need to learn how and work with a delicate touch.

The last one I replaced on a neighbor's kid's HP was about $30 OEM brand new to my front door so they're not really all that expensive.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Videos are showing some sort of tool prying up tabs to get the keyboard out. Is this some sort of specialized tool or will I likely have something in my home tools that will work?

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
I don't know anything about that specific brand/model of laptop, but I've replaced keyboards on Toshibas and IBMs. Fairly straightforward. Make sure not to damage the ribbon cable or the connector. IIRC the keyboards were ~$100 each when I replaced them.

If it were me, and you're ok with the external keyboard, I'd just take a small screwdriver, pry the key off the letter K, and remove the bits in there that make the connection. Probably some soda or coffee or something got in there and stuck it up.

If that doesn't work, then just unplug the ribbon cable and use the external keyboard, save yourself the funds.

While I like the idea of "disabling the onboard keyboard", I've never tried such, and am not entirely certain that it's possible. However, if it is, then it seems a good route to take.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aller Anfang ist schwer
Picture of Tavman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Videos are showing some sort of tool prying up tabs to get the keyboard out. Is this some sort of specialized tool or will I likely have something in my home tools that will work?

I use medium guitar picks for the tabs most of the time.

Posts: 1700 | Location: Fayetteville, AR | Registered: May 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Yea! Got it done. I used a very small flat tip screwdriver to release the old one. I had to fidget with the ribbon cable plug a bit to get it to work, but it was quick and easy. Thank you to all for your advise and encouragement.