SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are you running a museum?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are you running a museum? Login/Join 
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
A very perceptive piece.

As was yours, sir.

I was a 'collector'. Predominantly revolvers, deep blued older rifles, shotguns. Had multiple specimens of ones I liked, usually one NIB, one or more slightly used and one to shoot. Acquired pretty much everything I'd drooled about growing up having a single mother and two brothers and knowing blocks of government cheese and ketchup sandwiches.

My best friend, an older fellow, cued me into shooting and proficiency, where I had always thought I had been. He pointed out variety may be the spice of life, but having one gun for each purpose and being able to drop a projectile into a perps eye socket at his chosen range held a satisfaction all of it's own.

I am of the same mind with women. Jihadis wish for 72 virgins when they die. I wish for two 35 year olds that know what they are doing.

I do not bash collectors. I recently met whom I consider one of the nicest gentleman and 'curator' I've had the opportunity to bump into - and it was solely by accident. He showed me things that I never thought I'd see in my lifetime, let alone touch. A Sturmgeweher, every model of Galil you could imagine and 6 more. Firearms we have all only read about. You could spend a lifetime with him and never know it all, the places, people and things he has experienced. He saw the light in my eye - and he knew he had someone who would truly appreciate his life's work.

I never bash someone for their avenue in firearms, other than the obligatory ribbing we all occasionally do.

Thank you, Arc.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I have a lot of safe queens that I seldom if ever shoot. It wouldn't occur to me to criticize someone who thinks just the opposite and shoots the hell out of everything they own. I don't get it...why would I care what someone else does with their firearms?

Maybe I don't get out enough.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5039 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post