SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are you running a museum?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are you running a museum? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Thank you Arc. Sometimes it seems like the old revolver/semi or 9mm/45 wars around here. Both shooters and accumulators benefit the shooting community. I fall into both categories. I have a number I carry and shoot, some I shoot, some I look at, and some I just store. And I love them all.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
Shoot em and learn to shoot them all well. Museum pieces belong on walls and not in a safe.

That said, there's no wrong way to collect is there?

Posts: 3999 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dubya
posted Hide Post
The Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh was an Indian "holy man" who came to the US about 1980 and moved onto approximately 64,000 acres in Oregon. Misguided rich followers made him the largest single owner of Rolls Royces in the world with 93. He would have a dream and have most painted to match the dream...covered in clouds, covered in fish or snake scales...each car different. And, like the gun question each of these cars mostly had a couple hundred miles on it. He was aiming for 365 Rolls.

EXCEPT, one rather plain looking bullet and bomb proof car with tear gas canisters under the running boards (I saw this and and all his cars as they were trying to sell them (he as deported or such in 1984) in 1985 (I think) in a warehouse in the small Dallas suburb I live in most of the time). This bullet proof Rolls got all his use, 100s of thousands of miles, and, like your safe queen guns, the rest remained unused.

The used vs safe queen guns make me think of this. We all have typically have one daily driver firearm. And, going through those 93 Rolls was amazing. The 80s were like that - it was a different time. A time as different as the 60s and 70s. Amazing times are a changing my friend... Smile

Sons of the Republic of Texas, NRA, TSRA
God Bless America

Posts: 4075 | Location: The Great Lone Star State, Texas | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dubya:

Anyone who would paint a Rolls like that should be flayed.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Comes down to time and money?

Those with more guns are likely wanting more time.
Those that shoot every gun they have are likely to want more money for guns.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
Great post/thought arc. I shoot all mine. Though not near as often I would like. I haven't come across one I could just sit aside and forget about it.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes and no. I consider myself a shooter and try to get out every weekend. I have a few pistols and rifles I shoot most of the time. Then I have a few pistols and rifles that have been shot only a few times.
That being said, I have 4 pistols that have not been shot by me at all. 2 are BNIB Colt revolvers that are roughly almost 40 years old. 1 is a Browning 380 that the previous owner put a magazine through and then let sit for a few decades. The last one is a full Italian Beretta 92A1.
Why don't you I shoot them? The only one I can answer that question on is the Beretta. I have a Brigadier that has been my main focus for a few weeks with parts swapped inside and outside. I also have an older Vertec on the way so it's likely the 92A1 will sit with the Colts and Browning.
You collect? I'm fine with that. You shoot? I'm fine with that too. To each his/her own.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't tell someone else how to drink scotch, unless it's your scotch. After that, you're still being a dick if you don't let someone have some ice.

An excellent point and analogy.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I shoot everything I have, some gets much better treatment. I have no problem with those who want to admire them as works of art though.

Every time I hear of those pristine guns put away I'm reminded of the photos from Australia, with the classics being destroyed.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have always joked in the shop that having a gun unfired is like having a woman unkissed. What's the point?

Two things bring me to tears. The unconditional Love of God,the service of the United States Military,past,present,and future.

I would rather meet
a slick-sleeve private,
than a hollywood star!

Posts: 2334 | Registered: February 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
Great post arc. I totally agree. And your post bridges easily from the gun discussion into life philosophy.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I really like something I started the habit of buying a spare with the intention that it is for my youngest child. I, sadly, foresee the day when this "collection" might be beyond legal means for our future generations.

I hope I am wrong but there is so much that is unavailable today that was when I was a kid. I just don't want my kids to miss out. (It also fits nicely into the one is none two is one mindset).

I fall into both categories as well because thankfully I have never been in the position that I could only get the next gun if I sold a gun. I don't golf or boat (besides kayaks and small sailboats) so I have no expensive hobbies so I buy something shoot it for a while or a long time and then it ends up back in a box in the back of the safe. The guns that keep getting shot are on hooks in the front. So I can see both sides.

Posts: 7346 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I have one gun that I do not shoot-a John Wayne commemorative rifle that I bought when my youngest son was born 36 years ago. I have one of each model of 13 of the 14 handguns I carried in my career. My Cowboy guns. My hunting guns. My skeet and trap guns. My tactical rifles. And quite a few Sigs. And ONE Glock. I like to shoot all but one and it seems like I am always cleaning something. But I do love just looking at all of them. (Except the Glock, which I keep in a dark corner of the safe in a black bag). My only regrets are those guns I let get away over the years....

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
(Except the Glock, which I keep in a dark corner of the safe in a black bag)

It's good to keep that one separate. It is evil and will corrupt the other guns.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
If I really like a gun or type of gun sometimes I will buy a double of it. Shoot one hold on to the other.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
even if they are wrong ? Big Grin
do you realize how many people that are wrong ,are on the innernet?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Are...MARSHALL
Picture of armedmd
posted Hide Post

Build a man a fire and keep him warm for a night, set a man on fire and keep him warm the rest of his life.

Posts: 1893 | Location: WV | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
If I really like a gun or type of gun sometimes I will buy a double of it. Shoot one hold on to the other.

^^^^
This.Me.

But one other group emerges, those that trade guns more than they shoot them. Smile

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love my Marlin 1894 Cowboy pistol caliber rifles so much I bought FIVE of them. I shoot them all. When I like guns I buy multiples so they don't "wear out". But my guns seem to wear out more sitting in a safe and occasionally getting rust or dust on them.

I really want to shoot the shit out of all of them but no time.

Posts: 1179 | Registered: June 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I'm a shooter, except for one gun.

My Luger will be 100 years old in about 6 months. For the most part it is a safe queen. If I'm going shooting with someone who's never shot one before I'll let them put a magazine through it. I usually find lighter loads and sometimes they stove pipe and I'm ok with that. I see no reason to risk breaking, or shooting out a firearm that has historical and collector value.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post