SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are you running a museum?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are you running a museum? Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted
In my continuing series of things I'd like to see put to rest, I'd like to offer this:

There are many types of gun owners, but they can indeed be divided into two groups. People who shoot, and people who curate.

What I'd like to say, is don't shame someone for one, or the other.

Are you compelled to stack your safe with unfired guns? Great, just don't insist other people are nuts for actually using something meant to expel lead at high speed. Are you compelled to use everything you buy like you've just stolen it? Great, don't take a piss at people who enjoy preserving something.

You're both right, you can both go to the prom.

I'm firmly in the "shoot it" camp, but for folks who want to stare at boxes, you do you. I'd just like both camps to stop taking a piss.

About the only time you'll win my support, is with the "bubba," when someone just rains ingnance on a fine rifle or handgun. Even at that point, they will either realize their error in time, or join The Lost. Still, it's their gun, so you don't have to shoot or store it, so relax.

Don't tell someone else how to drink scotch, unless it's your scotch. After that, you're still being a dick if you don't let someone have some ice.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
I have 4-5 guns I haven't shot yet. And several I've only shot once. And several that I've shot a ton.

Basically I don't have the free-time to go shoot as I please as I once did (almost 2 year old and a 4 month old).

Somehow I still find the time to buy guns, though. Smile

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
I wish this forum had a "like" feature so I could like that post.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1541 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Agreed!
I always believe that what others do with their money and possessions is none of my business until I'm asked.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
A very perceptive piece. I will point out, though, that there’s another reason for buying and storing rather than buying and shooting that doesn’t involve the urge to curate: Some people buy and accumulate rather than shooting because they don’t have much opportunity to shoot.

I know that because I was in that group for many, many years. I have been fascinated by guns to one degree or another since adolescence and every new version that appeared captured my attention. I also indulged in much “What if …” musings. If there was any possibility of being invited to a white tie affair, nothing but a PPK would be appropriate. On the other hand a J frame in a minimalist holster would be perfect for a business suit. I owned various rifles and enjoyed impressing my friends and acquaintances with the same model 29 that Dirty Harry used. I even thought how cool it would be to own a safari rifle even though I had no more interest in going on an actual safari than free-climbing El Capitan.

I kept buying those guns because that was a way of indulging my interests when I couldn’t shoot—and that was more often the situation than not.

Finally, however, it became possible to shoot virtually as much as I chose to. That didn’t turn me into a shooter rather than a gun accumulator overnight, but it was the essential first element of the process. Today I consider myself to be a shooter. I worry more about my ammunition stocks than what’s in my safes except for a very few individual guns. I upgrade my equipment like sights because I genuinely believe it will improve the shooting in some way. My greatest regret about guns today is that I have many that it will be far more difficult to dispose of properly than they were to acquire in the first place.

I’ve been all types gun owner I’ve identified, curator, accumulator-by-default, or shooter, and I can only say I’m happy that I was able to become the shooter type before it was too late.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I almost only buy guns that I want to shoot. Unfortunately, finding the time can be problematic. Plus when I do find time, I feel I should concentrate on my self-defence guns, which leave even less time. Add in cleaning time, and familiarization if the controls are not my usual, and I have many more safe queens than I should. I am neglecting them.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Not having the time is a legitimate excuse, so say I who has a 3yr old.

It's OK to have a life.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have the financial ability to buy guns to have, but not be completely familiar with in case I really need to use them.

I sure can admire someone who does have a fine collection!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I now fall into that category although not by choice

when I moved out here my goal was to simplify my life, and thats been anything but simple - actually its gotten slightly more complicated

the only 'stuff' I've been able to do since I moved here was take the CC class at Diamondback and drool over a few items at the counter

I wouldn't call what I have a curable collection, more like a motley bunch of nicely machined metal parts but I wish I could go shooting again

time...just not enough of it

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53175 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree. I'm a gun "nerd" like I'm a beer "nerd" (as opposed to "snob"). I like all kinds of guns (and beer), but I never look down on someone else's (reasonable) choices or preferences. By reasonable, I mean no "Bubba" hatchet jobs and at some point the 10+ accessories from China on a single AR gets to be a bit much.

My wife and I went to a Rum tasting dinner and the head expert basically said however you like your spirits is fine. Want to mix a premium Rum with coke, that's great. Drink it neat, fine as well. That's my attitude for guns, beer etc.

I find the more I learn about a topic and the more my skills progress, the less I care about what others do and the less judgmental I am. Just a function of confidence and security.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UpTheIrons
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of Glocks and a Sig that I bought in the last two year and still haven't shot. They were used when I bought them, though.

The last year and a half has been my busiest in my professional life in many years. Even my days off have been filled with family things or outright vacation time.

I am maxed out on accrued time at work and have been told to use it. I could get in some range time, but right now its hotter than all get out here and the range STILL has a line at opening time.

Maybe this fall I'll have the time, I hope!

“I used to be totally into Steve Vai and Joe Satriani and other shredders, and I tried to emulate what they did and really grow as a guitarist,” Mr. Hanneman said in “Louder Than Hell.” “Then I said, ‘I don’t think I’m that talented, but more important, I don’t care.’ ”

Posts: 1726 | Location: Arizona Territory | Registered: February 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do both. I have guns I have not shot and guns that I do shoot regularly.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Agreed!
I always believe that what others do with their money and possessions is none of my business until I'm asked.

Exactly this. If someone wants to drink 20 year old single malt with Diet Coke, or do burnouts with a rare car....its their money!

I shoot all of my guns, except one that is over 120 years old. And I plan to shoot that at least once.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Just agree with everyone on everything they say that way no ones feeling get hurt.

Posts: 22899 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devil's Advocate
Picture of Holger Danske
posted Hide Post
I'm in the boat of young kids, little time for shooting. I also have some of what SigFreud mentioned -- an element of "it'd be cool . . . maybe one day."

But more specifically, I'm finding myself with a number of what I'll call "legacy" weapons -- pistols and long guns passed along from grandfather, father, and FIL, all of which I very much appreciate and hold a sentimental connection to, but some of which would not be something I would have chosen -- because of caliber, weight/length of barrel, etc. So some of these do not get taken along on my very limited range time. In fact, some I've never even fired. I feel kinda bad about it, but the things that I've bought are the things I tend to use (with a couple of exceptions, like the Garand and soon to arrive M1 carbine, both of which I would have bought anyway). And I don't have unlimited storage space, so I'm reluctant to buy something that is close to something I have inherited, which fills the role, but, again, not exactly what I would choose. For example, I have Granddad's pre-29, five-screw, six-inch .44 mag -- it's cool, but it's huge. My inclination is a three- or four-inch .357. So what, many will say, the more the merrier, but as I said, I don't have unlimited room, and I don't really like having things around that I don't use. First-world problems, right?

I'll hang on to them with the hopes that at least one of my three boys will have an interest in them -- but will I be putting them in the same position I am?

________
Homo sum: humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 1080 | Location: Baton Rouge | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10 November, 1775
Picture of MarinetoRN
posted Hide Post
Nice post Arc!

SiGArm'd

P220ST X2, 1911 Revolution, P245, P229 RTTEQ/ST .40 X2, P226ST, Mosquito
Other weaponry not SIG

Glocks are ugly.
I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders.

Posts: 2471 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: August 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have about 6 guns that don't get shot. Most due to age.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Sigfreund, I'd like to borrow that term,"indulging my interests". That's exactly what I'm doing with my firearms hobby. Whether I'm shooting, collecting, accumulating, modifying, researching, discussing, cleaning, or whatever. Just indulging my interestsWink

NRA Life

Posts: 1564 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Shooter. Tools and toys to me. I don't own any hammers I haven't swung.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20816 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had like 10 colt 1911 at one point. Interesting and uncommon variations, all had been shot by me at least once. Decided I didn't need more than than 5 so I sold half of them and I could live with 2. I have at least 5 .357 Smiths that I can think of off hand in various frame size and barrel lengths. I'd sell a few but mostly lazy. I acquired the bulk of the collection before marriage and escpecially before kids.

Now I like taking people shooting especially my 9 year old son. I get more pleasure out of seeing him smile when he pings the steel 10 of 10 times with a .22 auto and me being his magazine loader than my own trigger time. I shoot enough to stay sharp but I'd rather see him get proficient with various types of guns and improve his shooting skills.

Posts: 4760 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post