SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dehumidifier options for small gun room
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dehumidifier options for small gun room Login/Join 
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted
I have a room that is roughly the size of a small walk-in closet, about 6' x 5' x 10' high, and I'm storing my firearms in that room. The room is a corner room, and I'm concerned about humidity in the room.

The room has no plug in, one light fixture (ceiling), and no plumbing through which I might send drainage from a room size dehumidifier. I would love to find an option that didn't mean I'm changing out beads all the time.

Anything I'm not finding that is an option? I could probably hijack a nearby plug in to tap into if necessary, but really want all options first.

Thanks for any help!

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
If you can run power there for an outlet, the largest (36") Golden Rod would work just fine to dehumidify a ~300 cubic foot space.

Depending on the light fixture, you might be able to retrofit it with an outlet adapter fairly easily.

If you can't get power, or don't want to bother, I don't know of any options other than cannisters of desiccant beads, which have to be baked to recharge fairly regularly.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I saw the dessicant can that is "rechargeable" in the oven. Says it's good for 36 square feet, which means I'd have a stack of 'em.

I thought about one of those screw in adapters that you can then plug things into, but would love to not redneck engineer it if possible.

Thanks for the input, looking at it with multiple sets of eyes is the goal.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I have one of these in the safe. They make bigger ones for rooms and closets.

https://www.eva-dry.com/produc...r-dry-system-bundle/

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
If the room is inside just leave the door cracked and turn on the AC. AIr conditioning removes humidity from the air to cool.

I keep my guns in a safe, in a closet, inside my air conditioned home and have never had an issue either in humid eastern NC or here in Texas.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Damp Rid used to make a good sized bag for small rooms or you can use a few of their smaller containers but it is hard to say what is best depending on your house humidity-HVAC or window units,wood frame/cbs construction,etc..

My biggest concern, and I am sure you have thought about it, would security of the guns themselves. Not just for ease of stealing but also in case of a fire.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
secure the Blessings of Liberty
Picture of rackrack
posted Hide Post
Eva-Dry makes portable renewable dehumidifiers. Plug it in when the beads turn dark. My wife uses the E-500 ($22.95) in her closet.

https://www.eva-dry.com/produc...pacity-dehumidifier/

Posts: 1453 | Location: NC | Registered: February 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
If you can run power there for an outlet, the largest (36") Golden Rod would work just fine to dehumidify a ~300 cubic foot space.

Depending on the light fixture, you might be able to retrofit it with an outlet adapter fairly easily.

If you can't get power, or don't want to bother, I don't know of any options other than cannisters of desiccant beads, which have to be baked to recharge fairly regularly.
This adapter would leave the power on for the golden rod and you'd be able to turn on the light by pulling the chain.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd start with a hygrometer to see how much of a humidity problem there is.

Then, considering that the humidity probably is too high, I'd add an outlet and use the smallest dehumidifier I could find. It shouldn't need to run very often, and occasionally you carry the bucket out and dump it.

I like to have a target to aim for.

Posts: 1345 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You probably have less of a problem than you think unless you're in a very old home , off the ground , etc.
As suggested , check the actual humidity and see how much drying you need .

Posts: 3970 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Appreciate all your replies and help!

Update: During my recent (forced) "snowcation," I did multiple projects around the house. Changed all the smoke detector batteries, built 2 new 6 gun vertical gun racks, built a new shelf in the gun room up high to help store gun scabbards and reloading supplies when not in use, etc.

Anyhow, I also realized that the light switch in the room was a source for power, and ran an outlet off the switch. So now I have power.

So my question is, now that I have power in the room, anyone have a suggested dehumidifier that actually works? I see lots of amazon stuff, but much of them have mixed reviews and questionable efficacy. I do wonder if I might just try to install a vent or two to allow air to circulate (now that I installed the outlet...)

-Dr. Adrian Rogers