SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency : Year IV
Page 1 ... 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 ... 919
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Trump Presidency : Year IV Login/Join 
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:
I hope it gets veto'd too.

It won't be...

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3476 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
WHY?!?

$3,000 for family of 4, $1,200 per adult
There is a one-time payments of $1,200 per adult, $2,400 per couple, $500 per child. Amounts begin phasing out at $75,000 for individuals, $150,000 per couple.
I personally don't need/want it.

$31 billion for education
Includes $13.5 billion for states to distribute to local schools and programs, $14 billion for universities and colleges.
I already pay taxes for my school district.

$1 billion for Amtrak.
Amtrak shoulda been shit-canned YEARS ago.

$20 billion for veterans
Includes $16 billion for treating veterans at VA facilities; $3 billion for temporary and mobile facilities.
Should be addressed in a TOTALLY separate bill. Has nothing to do with COVID-19. I support Veterans and honor them, but this is the wrong venue in which to do so.

$3.5 billion for child care and early education
Money for social programs includes $3.5 billion in grants for child care and early education programs; $1 billion in grants to help communities address local economic problems; $900 million in heating, cooling aid for low-income families; $750 million for extra staffing for Head Start programs.
Has absolutely NOTHING to do with the COVID-19 situation.

$2 billion for Native American communities
For health care, equipment schools and other needs.
Absolutely NOTHING to do with the COVID-19 situation.

$400 million for elections
Will help states prepare for 2020 elections with steps including expanded vote by mail, additional polling locations.
Bullshit...sounds like party money to me.

$150 million for arts
For federal grants to state and local arts and humanities programs; $75 million for Corporation for Public Broadcasting; $25 million for Washington, D.C., Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts.
There it is...gotta fund NPR somehow. NONE of that has anything to do with the current situation.

$93 million for Congress
Includes $25 million for the House and $10 million for the smaller Senate for teleworking and other costs; $25 million for cleaning the Capitol and congressional office buildings.
BULLSHIT...Molly Maid will do it for 1/4 that much.

That's all I have for now... Mad

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
WHY?!?

That's all I have for now... Mad

Well, if it's any consolation... I completely agree with you.

James Madison, the "Father of the Constitution," wrote, "If Congress can do whatever in their discretion can be done by money, and will promote the general welfare, the Government is no longer a limited one possessing enumerated powers, but an indefinite one."

Thomas Jefferson wrote, "Our tenet ever was ... that Congress had not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but were restrained to those specifically enumerated."

Frederic Bastiat observed that "when plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." You might ask, "What did Bastiat mean by 'plunder'?" Plunder is when someone forcibly takes the property of another. That's private plunder. What he truly railed against was legalized plunder, and he told us how to identify it. He said: "See if the law takes from some persons what belongs to them, and gives it to other persons to whom it does not belong. See if the law benefits one citizen at the expense of another by doing what the citizen himself cannot do without committing a crime."

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24100 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
what about the $400 million in 3 foreign aid packages....what does foreign aid have to do with helping American families

what about the Planned Parenthood line item?

this i all about the dems getting what they wanted but couldn't get it any other way

what about same day voter registration....

this bill has little to do with COVID19, and everything to do with pork

why should we have to take on this additional debt?

I truly hope that President Trump calls the dems out for the deceitful and shameful way they have manipulated this latest crisis

right now, perhaps the virus isn't the biggest threat to the long term health of the country

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53175 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Will the President sign it?

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38672 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
It's how sausage is made

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I hope he can stick it right back to them somehow! I'm fucking livid!

Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38672 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Just got this from a White house email:

NEW: House passes emergency relief bill

The CARES Act is headed to President Trump’s desk today! Following extensive negotiations between the Trump Administration and Congressional leaders, the House of Representatives finally passed the historic $2.2 trillion economic relief package.

The Senate approved the measure yesterday with a 96-0 vote.

What does it mean? American families, healthcare workers, and small businesses will get the economic support they need to get through this challenging time. That includes $1,200 payments to qualifying Americans, $100 billion in direct support for hospitals, and over $370 billion to small business owners to keep their employees on the payroll.

President Trump will sign the bill as soon as it arrives at his desk this afternoon.

Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I'm going to start adding in my nightly prayers my thanks and gratitude that I don't have children to worry about in future generations that will have to burden the load of our country's OUTRAGEOUS spending over most of my adult life. Just keep kicking the can down the road...that'll work.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
It's called "don't throw out the good for looking for the perfect". They whittled it down enough that the President will sign it, even though it has stuff in it he doesn't want.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
It's called "don't throw out the good for looking for the perfect". They whittled it down enough that the President will sign it, even though it has stuff in it he doesn't want.

flashguy

True

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
This ain’t gonna be good for inflation.
Shall I get your drum for you?

Posts: 107551 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Give me my free shit dammit...

The ink ain't even dry yet...
My daughter, working at home for a credit union, is already getting calls from people, complaining that they fear the bank will take the virus relief funds direct deposit money to apply on their past due accounts.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
It's how sausage is made
Nah, this is how manure is made. And Washington 'is' shit at this point. There are a number of liberal congress people and their staffs who need to be burned at the stake while broadcast on every network in the US.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
From yesterday’s tweet. That’s gold!

quote:
Yet your Governor, Gretchen “Half” Whitmer....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12411 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Donald J. Trump is the Man Cool. I'm gonna go do some shootin'.

"President Trump’s Department of Homeland Security released updated guidelines naming gun manufacturers and retailers as essential on Saturday, which means they are to stay open and operational nationwide during a Chinese coronavirus shutdown."

"The DHS guidelines list as essential:

Workers supporting the manufacturing of safety equipment and uniforms for law enforcement, public safety personnel, and first responders.
Workers supporting the operation of firearm or ammunition product manufacturers, retailers, importers, distributors, and shooting ranges.
The Second Amendment Foundation’s Alan Gottlieb commented on the DHS declaration, saying, “Every freedom loving American owes President Trump and his administration a very big thank you for protecting our Second Amendment Rights. This is another Trump promise made and promise kept.”

https://www.breitbart.com/poli...sinesses-nationwide/

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16688 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
Better tweet response..."Thank you for once again proving to all Americans what a complete un-American POS you are."

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
I know we're not supposed to pay attention to polls, but with regards to enthusiasm, I think this is noteworthy.

Biden consolidates support, but trails badly in enthusiasm: Poll - ABC News

Biden consolidates support, but trails badly in enthusiasm: Poll
Strong enthusiasm for Biden among those who back him over Trump is just 24%.

ABC News
Former Vice President Joe Biden has emerged as Democrats’ top choice for the presidential nomination in a new ABC News/Washington Post poll, but with only bare majority support within his party and a massive enthusiasm gap in a November matchup against President Donald Trump.

Indeed, strong enthusiasm for Biden among his supporters – at just 24% – is the lowest on record for a Democratic presidential candidate in 20 years of ABC/Post polls. More than twice as many of Trump’s supporters are highly enthusiastic about supporting him, 53%.

See PDF for full results, charts and tables.

Trump’s still-strong rating on the economy is another challenge for Biden. So is this: Among Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents who prefer Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders for the nomination, 15% say they’d back Trump over Biden in the fall.

In the nomination contest, 51% of leaned Democrats now prefer Biden vs. 42% for Sanders. That’s a vast 34-point gain for Biden since mid-February, with other candidates having left the race and endorsed him. Sanders gained 10%age points.

Yet even as he’s advanced in his party, Biden’s slipped against Trump in a November matchup. The two are locked into essentially a dead heat among registered voters, 49-47%, Biden-Trump, after a slight Biden lead, 52-45%, in February.

Biden does better vs. Trump among all adults (Democrats are less apt to be registered), 50-44%. That’s a slight lead, but it was more solidly significant in February, 52-44%.

Enthusiasm

Perhaps the Democrats’ biggest risk is under the surface, in Trump’s big advantage in backers who are “very” enthusiastic about supporting him. Strong enthusiasm for a candidate can help boost turnout on Election Day, a must-have particularly for Democrats, who rely more on motivating less-frequent voters to come to the polls.

While trailing Trump by 29 points in high-level enthusiasm, Biden makes up some of the difference with those who are “somewhat” enthusiastic. But he still trails Trump by 12 points in the combined measure, 74 vs. 86%.

There’s déjà vu in these results: Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton found herself in largely the same position four years ago. She, too, had a slim lead among Democrats for the nomination and ran essentially evenly with Trump among registered voters. And she lagged in enthusiasm, with a low of 32% very enthusiastic in September 2016. Biden is 8 points under that mark now.

Bad as Biden’s enthusiasm score is, we’ve seen worse: As few as 17% of former Republican presidential nominee and Arizona Sen. John McCain’s supporters were very enthusiastic about his candidacy in 2008, and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney saw 23% in 2012. The poor omen for Biden is that Clinton, McCain and Romney all lost.

Issues

As noted, Trump is aided in this poll, produced for ABC by Langer Research Associates, by his ratings on the economy. Despite deep economic impacts of the coronavirus crisis, 57% of Americans approve of his handling of the economy, a new high in ABC/Post data. And Trump leads Biden in trust to handle the economy, 50-42%. (As reported Friday, 48% also approve of Trump’s handling of the job generally, another career high.)

Trump and Biden are even in trust to handle the coronavirus outbreak, 45-43%. Biden comes back to lead by 13 points in trust to handle health care more generally, 52-39%.

Groups

The clearing of the Democratic field hasn’t led to much change in the profiles of Biden and Sanders supporters, but there’s a magnitude shift for Biden. Seniors and black voters have been good for him in the past, but with significant shares interested in other candidates. They’ve coalesced: Eighty-three percent of Democratic and Democratic-leaning seniors prefer Biden over Sanders, up 63 points from February; two-thirds of blacks say the same, a 34-point increase.

Eighty percent of Sanders backers say they’ll vote for Biden against Trump; as noted, 15% say they’d back Trump. (This is familiar: Twenty percent of Sanders supporters said they’d vote for Trump in spring 2016.) For context, 15% of Sanders supporters is 6% of all leaned Democrats, and Trump won 8% of Democrats in 2016. Still, Biden wants all the in-party support he can muster.

Further, among Sanders supporters who say they’d vote for Biden in November, a mere 9% are very enthusiastic about doing so. More, but still only 49%, are “somewhat” enthusiastic.

Even among those who support Biden for the nomination, his very enthusiastic support against Trump is just 39% (with an additional 50% somewhat enthusiastic). That’s dwarfed by strong enthusiasm for Trump among his supporters, including a peak of 81% among strong conservatives and broad majorities of Republicans, seniors and rural residents.

On the issues, men favor Trump over Biden to handle the economy by an 18-point margin, 56-38, while women split between the two. Nearly all Republicans, three-quarters of conservatives, and 72% of white men who don’t have college degrees – core Trump groups – also pick him on the economy, but here they’re joined by 20% of liberals and a third of racial and ethnic minorities.

It’s essentially flipped with health care, with Biden leading Trump by a slight 8 points among men and 16 points among women. Outside the Democratic core, most seniors, 12% of Republicans, 28% of conservatives and three in 10 non-college whites pick Biden on health care.

Differences in trust to handle the coronavirus outbreak reflect customary partisan divides. Majorities of whites, conservatives and rural residents pick Trump on this issue; most racial and ethnic minorities, college graduates, urbanites and liberals go with Biden.

Methodology

This ABC News/Washington Post poll was conducted by landline and cellular telephone March 22-25, 2020, in English and Spanish, among a random national sample of 1,003 adults. Results have a margin of sampling error of 3.5 points, including the design effect. Partisan divisions are 30-24-37%, Democrats-Republicans-independents.

The survey was produced for ABC News by Langer Research Associates of New York, N.Y., with sampling and data collection by Abt Associates of Rockville, Md. See details on the survey’s methodology here.

Christine Filer and Gary Langer contributed to this report.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
This came from my "2nd" dad, U.S. Army (Ret.) COL. I asked him if he could get a source, but he said he got it from another friend. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find a source, but if this needs to be deleted, Para, please feel free to do so.

A list of the PORK Madame Pelosi crammed into the spending bill...

• No voter ID to get a ballot, & anonymous “ballot harvesting” pg 650
• $300,000,000 for Migrant and Refugee Assistance pg 147
• $10,000 per person for student loan bailout
• $100,000,000 to Nasa, because, who knows why, maybe they hope they’ll find aliens to help us?
• $20,000,000,000 to the USPS, because why the hell not, maybe they worried about mailing a virus?
• $300,000,000 to the Endowment for the Arts / because you need better entertainment in quarantine?
• $300,000,000 for the Endowment for the Humanities/ because no one even knew that was a thing
• $15,000,000 for Veterans Employment Training / for when the GI Bill isn't enough
• $435,000,000 for mental health support / thats a lot of suicide hotlines
• $30,000,000,000 for the Department of Education stabilization fund/ because that will keep people employed
• $200,000,000 to Safe Schools Emergency Response to Violence Program/ in case people read the bill?
• $300,000,000 to Public Broadcasting / NPR has to be bought by the dems
• $500,000,000 to Museums and Libraries / Who the hell knows why, maybe to look up the black plague?
• $720,000,000 to Social Security Admin / but get this only • 200K is to help people. The rest is for admin costs
• $25,000,000 for Cleaning supplies for the Capitol Building / I shit you not it's on page 136
• $7,500,000 to the Smithsonian for additional salaries
• $35,000,000 to the JFK Center for performing Arts/we can’t go now….but someday...
• $25,000,000 for additional salary for House of Representatives/ you knew they would slip in something for themselves!!!!!
• $3,000,000,000 upgrade to the IT department at the VA/ get, but now?
• $315,000,000 for State Department Diplomatic Programs/ they can do an awesome newsletter with that
• $95,000,000 for the Agency of International Development/ to help people who have a government that is broken
• $300,000,000 for International Disaster Assistance/ we have a disaster here folks….hello
• $90,000,000 for the Peace Corp pg 148
• $13,000,000 to Howard University pg 121
• 9,000,000 Misc Senate Expenses pg 134
• $100,000,000 to Essential Air carriers pg 162 This of note because the Airlines are going to need billions in loans to keep them afloat. $100,000,000 is chump change
• $40,000,000,000 goes to the Take Responsibility to Workers and Families Act. This sounds like it's direct payments for workers. Pg 164
• $1,000,000,000 Airlines Recycle and Save Program pg 163
• $25,000,000 to the FAA for administrative costs pg 165
• $492,000,000 to National Railroad Passenger Corporation (Amtrak) pg 167
• $526,000,000 Grants to Amtrak to remain available if needed through 2021 pg 168 (what are the odds that doesn't go unused)
Hidden on page 174 the Secretary has 7 days to allocate the funds & notify Congress
• $25,000,000,000 for Transit Infrastructure pg 169
• $3,000,000 Maritime Administration pg 172
• $5,000,000 Salaries and Expensive Office of the Inspector General pg 172
• $2,500,000 Public and Indian Housing pg 175
• $5,000,000 Community Planning and Development pg 175
• $2,500,000 Office of Housing