SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency : Year IV
Page 1 ... 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 ... 912
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Trump Presidency : Year IV Login/Join 
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
It now appears Andrew Cuomo (brother to Chris, son of Mario) is the Democrat presidential "hopeful" du jour. The lame stream media is hyping the current governor of New York as Joe Biden's replacement for the Democrat nomination.

Haven't we heard this all before? Hillary. Avenatti. Warren. Bloomberg. Flash-in-the-pans, all of them.

I'm not anti-New Yorker (I love Donald Trump!), but none of these poltroons from the Empire State do anything for me other than make me reach for the barf bag.

Schumer. de Blasio. Nadler. AOC. Cuomo.

What a basket of deplorables, to borrow a phrase.

Cuomo in particular, offends me with his speech, mannerisms, and worst, his holier-than-thou attitude.

Get the fuck off the stage, nitwit.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
"Big Beautiful Wall" Big Grin

Posts: 5301 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jarcher
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
How many deaths are acceptable?
- some idiot reporter to the President this afternoon

And President Trump handled it very well. There was another twit reporter demanding to know where he came up with the Easter goal and demanding to know if it was about his reelection. I think he could have handled that one a little better. Leaders set goals, often lofty goals. If the doctors had their way we would all be living in saran wrap for the next year. It's up to Trump to pick the balance between the virus and the economy.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Edmund Burke, 1729 - 1797

Posts: 2106 | Location: Charleston, SC US | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I've been involved in health care for over 50 years; first in health services administration for the Dept of HEW as it was then; then in medical school, medicine and cardiology training, and over 30 years of practice and sometimes research and administration.

What I've seen over the past week or so with the President's Coronavirus Task Force is something I have never seen before, and I must say it is quite breathtaking in its scope, execution, and transparency.

We have seen the US government be put on the equivalent of a war footing, and reaching out to--and being reached out to by--private industry. Not only the health care industry, but manufacturers and suppliers who have found innovative ways of meeting a critical and urgent need for medical and safety supplies and equipment.

We have also seen normally mired-in-molasses bureaucracies including the CDC and FDA being turned into nimble-footed servants of the public need, really stepping up--a little too late, quite frankly, but at least they have stepped up--to meet the sense of urgency pushed on them by President Trump.

With the singular exception of Democrats in Congress (and maybe DeBlasio), the political world has set aside rancor and we've seen Democrat partisans such as Gavin Newsom and Andrew Cuomo working hand-in-glove with the President, and giving him credit for his exceptional managerial skills in this crisis.

We have also seen the President and the Task Force responding to the red flag warnings raised by those outside of the public health community about the looming catastrophe for the economy and society if the current stringent restrictions are not altered to allow people to return to work.

About a week ago I was one of those who expressed frustration that there didn't seem to be a plan for getting the country back to work; now there is a plan, it is flexible, it will vary from one area of the country to another, and it will take account of important new developments such as the use of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin which have raised the possibility of rapid and effective cures of Covid-19; and potentially also their use in prophylaxis against disease for health care workers and family members of patients.

So despite some early missteps, I am more than satisfied to see the progress being made; and delighted at these daily briefings at which the science, politics, and economics of the crisis are discussed in a very transparent way.

The President has taken bold actions; he and his Task Force have dragged the Federal bureaucracy into showing the same sense of urgency; the private sector has stepped up with innovation and generosity not seen in decades; and the public has largely complied with the guidelines and restrictions needed to stop the spread of the epidemic.

I'm very proud of what President Trump has done for us.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well...President Trump should have just thrown it right back in the idiot reporter's face!

"Apparently a 0.02055921% mortality rate is acceptable to you, Mr./Ms. Fake News reporter".

H1N1 virus April 2009 thru April 2010:
deaths / # of cases = mortality rate
12,500 / 60,800,000 = 0.02055921%

Math ain't hard...

It would appear this was acceptable to Onumb-nutz during his "reign"...he didn't lift a gd finger and the press didn't say a f***ing word.

So if COVID-19 tops out at 75,000,000 cases in the U.S., then it would appear the Fake News Media had better be willing to accept a 0.02055921% mortality rate or 15,420 deaths.** The U.S. currently sits at 65,797 cases and 935 deaths. I still say the numbers are not going to top the Swine Flu numbers of 10 years ago.

** Note: I am not wishing death on ANYONE nor am I making light of the situation. I am merely pointing out that the Fake News needs to take responsibility of the outright HYSTERIA it has created over the past 4-5 weeks.

quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
We have seen the US government be put on the equivalent of a war footing, and reaching out to--and being reached out to by--private industry. Not only the health care industry, but manufacturers and suppliers who have found innovative ways of meeting a critical and urgent need for medical and safety supplies and equipment.
I was listening to Mike Gallagher this morning on the way home from playing tennis (yeah...screw Harris County's "Stay-home-work-safe" ORDER. Pfffft). Mike Lindell, of "My Pillow" fame, came on and said his factory has been re-tooled and starting today, will manufacture up to 40,000 masks per day. I believe he said these masks were going to go primarily to the front-line healthcare workers. I think that is absolutely outstanding!!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I've been involved in health care for over 50 years; first in health services administration for the Dept of HEW as it was then; then in medical school, medicine and cardiology training, and over 30 years of practice and sometimes research and administration.

What I've seen over the past week or so with the President's Coronavirus Task Force is something I have never seen before, and I must say it is quite breathtaking in its scope, execution, and transparency.

We have also seen normally mired-in-molasses bureaucracies including the CDC and FDA being turned into nimble-footed servants of the public need, really stepping up--a little too late, quite frankly, but at least they have stepped up--to meet the sense of urgency pushed on them by President Trump.

With the singular exception of Democrats in Congress (and maybe DeBlasio), the political world has set aside rancor and we've seen Democrat partisans such as Gavin Newsom and Andrew Cuomo working hand-in-glove with the President, and giving him credit for his exceptional managerial skills in this crisis.

We have also seen the President and the Task Force responding to the red flag warnings raised by those outside of the public health community about the looming catastrophe for the economy and society if the current stringent restrictions are not altered to allow people to return to work.

About a week ago I was one of those who expressed frustration that there didn't seem to be a plan for getting the country back to work; now there is a plan, it is flexible, it will vary from one area of the country to another, and it will take account of important new developments such as the use of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin which have raised the possibility of rapid and effective cures of Covid-19; and potentially also their use in prophylaxis against disease for health care workers and family members of patients.

So despite some early missteps, I am more than satisfied to see the progress being made; and delighted at these daily briefings at which the science, politics, and economics of the crisis are discussed in a very transparent way.

The President has taken bold actions; he and his Task Force have dragged the Federal bureaucracy into showing the same sense of urgency; the private sector has stepped up with innovation and generosity not seen in decades; and the public has largely complied with the guidelines and restrictions needed to stop the spread of the epidemic.

I'm very proud of what President Trump has done for us.
Great to hear from a person with a very appropriate background. As an amateur, armchair, medical authority Big Grin I have to agree with your comments on a number of your points.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, great post sjtill. Thanks for the condensed version of what industry and .gov are doing. I should get it from the news, but here on the west coast it is all Orange Man Bad.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Joey D
3/25/20

No description provided

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7652 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Boy, did we ever need a man like Trump!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: recoatlift,

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
Boy , did we ever need a man like Trump!!
I concur. I cringe when I consider what our situation would be if Hillary had been elected.

flashguy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: flashguy,

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
I found this interesting, albeit infuriating...

LINK

Back in my school days, I wasn’t so much a procrastinator as a procrastination artist.

I remember cramming together some pretty dodgy papers over a long weekend back in college. Armed with little more than coffee, my iMac and some textbooks, I could churn out about 20-ish pages of half-readable pap between Friday evening and the Sunday midnight deadline.

Not that it was any good. In one case, stuck for a hook, I compared two philosophers to professional wrestlers and went from there. I think the philosophers were Nietzsche and Kierkegaard; I can’t remember the wrestlers. The paper inexplicably got an A-, presumably more because of entertainment value than academic merit.

I suppose with some aides and a lot of high-test coffee, I could probably get a bit more than 20 pages done, although with a bunch of people involved, we’d all have to agree with one another. It’s not something you can scale up infinitely to the point where a bunch of people cramming can get a commensurate amount of work done. Eventually, you run into diminishing returns.

All of which is to say that shenanigans need to be called on the idea that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer and the Democrats came up with a 1,119 COVID-19 relief bill over the weekend.

They didn’t. What they did was take a bunch of Democratic plans that have been percolating for a while and throw them into a bill one Republican senator described as a “Disney World wish list.”

quote:
Rachel Bovard

Pelosi's #COVID19 bill is 1,119 pages and contains provisions for "conducting risk-limiting audits of results of elections" so yeah it's really very focused on the crisis at hand.

Pelosi’s bill didn’t contain just that; it was a veritable cornucopia of stuff the Democrats have been looking to implement for a while that had nothing to do with fighting the coronavirus threat or helping America recover economically from it.

At least one Twitter user — author and writer Brian Cates — noted emphatically that this had very little to do with the problem at hand:

quote:
Brian Cates
Guess what?

PELOSI'S BILL IS OVER 1,000 PAGES LONG.

And it's one long Leftist Progressive wishlist.

There is NO WAY they threw this together over a weekend.

Pelosi & Schumer must have PLANNED this bait and switch for over a week.

That’s not inaccurate.

In fact, the third-ranked House Democrat reportedly more or less admitted this on a call with the Democratic caucus.

House Majority Whip James Clyburn told his colleagues the bill was “a tremendous opportunity to restructure things to fit our vision,” according to The Hill.

At least he didn’t try to hide it.

Now, see if you can identify a few of these items in the Democrats’ bill, per Fox News, as being part of the Democrats’ prior legislative longings.

Take, for instance, student loan forgiveness.

The bill would eliminate “a minimum of $10,000 of federal and private student loan debt for each indebted borrower.”

No, it’s not what Elizabeth Warren called for during her presidential campaign, but it certainly sounded like something that had its genesis more in dogma than in the vein of economic recovery.

Here’s another thing that sounds extremely iffy: forcing states to adopt same-day voter registration, another long-time Democratic wish-list item.

Apparently, they’re admitting their own voters can’t get their stuff together enough to register before Election Day. There’s no evidence that this will be necessary given the exigencies created by coronavirus, but it’s certainly convenient.

So, too, is the legislative command that forbids states from “imposing additional conditions or requirements on the eligibility of a voter to cast an absentee ballot such as notarization or witness signatures, and prohibits requiring identification to obtain an absentee ballot.”

Furthermore, companies that accept federal assistance must give their employees a $15-per-hour minimum wage.

Want to kill off small businesses that are asking for government assistance? That’s a perfectly acceptable way to do it.

But hey, it’s essentially a backdoor way to force American small businesses to sign onto the liberal agenda. Who cares about helping these businesses out? They’re not suffering right now. This isn’t a recovery bill or … oh, wait, no, that’s totally what it is and this is tone-deaf and brain-dead.

Environmentalist clap-trap? Yeah, it’s in there, too.

Airlines which accept government money must “offset their carbon emissions and reduce their overall emissions by 50 percent by 2050,” according to the bill.

Airports are also incentivized to trade in old equipment via a “cash for clunkers” program.

Companies which receive benefits must disclose diversity stats, including the “number and dollar value invested with minority-and-women owned suppliers … including professional services (legal and consulting) and asset managers, and deposits and other accounts with minority depository institutions, as compared to all vendor investments.”

There’s also $11 billion for a U.S. Postal Service bailout.

Airlines which receive aid must have a union representative on their board.

The Obamaphone program would receive a new infusion of cash.

The plan expands a bill that allows for a “pension funding relief for a number of community newspaper plan sponsors.”

Oh, and there’s also $35 million in there for the Kennedy Center, because what the heck?

All of this came as Republicans and Democrats in the Senate had been hammering out a deal:

quote:
Matt Whitlock
The Senate canceled recess to work at breakneck speed because people need help now.
Pelosi waltzes in after the House has been on a week long vacation and says they’re going to do their own thing and the Senate’s Monday urgency is arbitrary.
Just wild.

This wasn’t a random thing. It couldn’t have been.

You don’t put together an 1,119-page bill in a weekend — unless, of course, this was just a wish list that had been sitting, in various parts, on the shelf before this.

Even then, it doesn’t just get put together in two days. It’s not an iffy paper about two philosophers with pro wrestling thrown in.

It’s nothing that simple — not in Washington, where something like this reeks of malice and forethought.

As I write this, legislators are trying to hash out a deal. One prays they will, and fast.

However, this should be about recovering from the economic damage COVID-19 hath wrought. This isn’t the time to start remaking America.

Pelosi and the Democrats apparently lack shame, especially at a moment when the economy desperately needs Republicans and Democrats to come together on a sensible recovery bill.

They also lack the ability to realize when people are going to see through piffle. Nobody can look at this bill and reasonably conclude this was something put together in a weekend.

Yet, Pelosi had the shamelessness to warn Republicans on Tuesday not to put “poison pills” in a recovery bill.

“I think there is real optimism that we could get something done in the next few hours,” she said in an interview with CNBC.

“If it has poison pills in it — and they know certain things are poison pills — then they don’t want unanimous consent, they just want an ideological statement.”

I don’t know if that’s straight-up gangsta or just an utter lack of self-awareness.

Either way, this is an unserious response to the most serious crisis our nation’s faced since the 2008 economic collapse.

Instead of trying to prevent another economic collapse, Pelosi and the Democrats put forth legislation that was basically a poison-pill cookie.

Voters ought to be reminded of her last-minute wish list come this November.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3138 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Most importantly will the President sign it or veto it and tell everyone on national tv the real reasons why

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
A hunch, intuition.

Good chance Trump is gonna get rid of Anthony Falci at one point, like Jeff Sessions, etc. This guy, since the AIDS scare back in the 80s, is a media whore, loves talking in front of TV cameras and audiences. Tonight he was interviewed by a basketball player, with folks like Barrack Obama and other celebrities checking in. A guy who thinks the present lockdown is not enough.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
"Make The Economy Great Again!"

Even if it's not stated openly, that's what this November's election will be about. The choice then becomes this:

TRUMP: Brought us out of a stagnant economy into the best economy seen in decades. He can do it again.

BIDEN: Part of the team that took us into a stagnant economy we had to endure for eight years. He'll do it again.

Of course, that all depends on Biden, who doesn't seem to know where he is, what he did after leaving the Senate (did you hear the latest? He became a professor -- straight from his mouth!), what day of the week it is, and that he's busy dealing with the pandemic (how? by changing his adult diaper?).

So, the Dems are desperately seeking a person to replace him and way to do so without it being completely obvious. Thus, Andrew Cuomo's frequent appearances on CommieTV. But he's not without baggage either (as it's being revealed), so it's going to be up to Trump to MAKE THE ECONOMY GREAT AGAIN.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jarcher:
quote:

And President Trump handled it very well. There was another twit reporter demanding to know where he came up with the Easter goal and demanding to know if it was about his reelection. I think he could have handled that one a little better. Leaders set goals, often lofty goals. If the doctors had their way we would all be living in saran wrap for the next year. It's up to Trump to pick the balance between the virus and the economy.

Listening I realized how tired and stressed I was. Just the idea of making progress, of seeing some areas open up.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Sleepy Joe is now a Professor?

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I see the Michigan Governor, a potential VP candidate, is not losing any chance to get in the national spotlight.

Given her recent orders and past BS I doubt she'll get reelected anyway.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
I see the Michigan Governor, a potential VP candidate, is not losing any chance to get in the national spotlight.

And not missing a single opportunity to take pot-shots at Trump.

quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Given her recent orders and past BS I doubt she'll get reelected anyway.

She wasn't doing half bad for a bit. Except for the politicizing thing. Then she off the deep end.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I hope this pork-laden democrat agenda-driven bill gets veto'd

its full of everything the dems have always wanted but couldn't get in other bills

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope it gets veto'd too.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post