SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommend a dog training collar.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommend a dog training collar. Login/Join 
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted
We've got a Boston Terrier rescue who's a little bit of a problem child. We've tried a bunch of stuff, and I think it's time for a collar. There's a bunch on Amazon with four stars. I think I'd like something rechargeable that he can wear all day since a big issue is him getting out the door.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
So are you looking for an invisible fence kind of deal or a manual one you can use?

I use the "Petrainer 100% Waterproof and Rechargeable Dog Shock Collar 330 yd Remote Dog Training Collar with Beep/Vibrating/Shock Electric E-collar" from Amazon.

They have worked great - you can do tone / vibrate / e-stim (both are adjustable in strength). My dogs (2 x Great Danes) are so used to them now they run over 3 acres and a tap of the vibrate sends them running directly to me or home.

Only time I need to juice them is if they get the scent of something from the woods and decide to make a break for it or they get into it with each other. Either way it only take a slight tap for a shock and it's over.

ETA - they are rechargeable and come with 2 units and 1 controller. I only use them outside now but did use one on the younger dane inside for a couple of months. The charge lasts a good week if you aren't using it all the time - but even if you are it should easily last a couple of days.

My only concern would be the size of the unit if you have a really small Boston (it's about 1"x1"x2"). I had a 35# beefy Boston that it would have worked great on, but if you have the tiny sized one you might need to look into a smaller collar (not sure what those might be).

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We've used this one "PetTech PT0Y1 Dog Training Shock Collar, Rechargeable and Weather Resistant, 1000 ft Range" (Amazon) for 1 1/2 years and it has been great. Reading through the negative reviews though I'm afraid there may be a low-IQ limit to it's effective use. (Certainly wouldn't apply to you though.)

Posts: 1349 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
I've only used Tritronics for my labs. You might be able to get a refurbished older model from Collar Clinic.

And, if you have not worked with E-collars before, I'd recommend getting a book on Collar conditioning/training. It's not hard to ruin a dog with an E-collar if not used properly.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Define "training collar."

I have a boy Brittany who would run for a couple hours after opening the door or window (yes, he figured out how). My wife had enough and bought a shock collar. After setting the collar`s limits and putting flags in the yard per the directions, we set the collar to maximum shock value.

She (I was having nothing to do with it as I knew the dog since he was a week old) got the boy to come out to her. The collar beeped its beeps the shocked him. Never heard that boy howl like that before. Frown

Now the plus side; the boy has only ran out the front once and then immediately returned. He hears the beep and he runs to the kitchen (where the transmitter is located).

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Call these folks.
https://www.gundogsupply.com/

Be sure to read the info on how to properly use them and watch the videos. They are NOT a magic training device that just trains your dog with the push of a button. Used improperly you could do a lot of damage.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 220-9er,

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:
I've only used Tritronics for my labs. You might be able to get a refurbished older model from Collar Clinic.

And, if you have not worked with E-collars before, I'd recommend getting a book on Collar conditioning/training. It's not hard to ruin a dog with an E-collar if not used properly.
Is there a book you suggest?

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:

My wife has always trained with Tritonics (now owned by Garmin). They sell dummy collars too, so you can leave one on while the main one is charging. You should never put a collar on and then make a correction (shock) right away, or the dog becomes "collar aware", and will stop the unwanted behavior as soon as the collar goes on. You want to surprise them with a correction they don't associate with the collar or you. Best is to have it on at least an hour before and after any correction.

Tritronics has collars with different shock levels, for variable corrections with one dog or for different sized dogs. She highly recommends using it to shock the palm of your hand before using on the dog. This gives you a good idea of what the dog is feeling. It is not painful even at the max, but more of an "unpleasant" feel.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I am not opposed to e-collars, but they require training for the handler. It is extremely easy to ruin a dog and possible to injure it with improper/inappropriate use. I would recommend working with a trainer who is experienced with them.

I recommend Dogtra collars - never had an issue with one. Look for one that has high resolution of adjustments. It is easy to get too much stimulation if the adjustments aren't fine enough.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
Picture of thomjb
posted Hide Post
+1 with 220

Thom

"Tulta munille!"
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
SAF Life Member

Posts: 2835 | Location: SouthWest IN | Registered: August 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dallas239:
quote:

Is there a book you suggest?

Go to Collar Clinic's site on the Training tab. Lots of links there to pubs and videos from the various manufacturers of e-collars.

Collar Clinic Training

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
I like the pet safe brand. They have a high and low tone that is used for positive and negative reinforcement. I've found that people understand that concept well and their usage of the shock part is much lower.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
my small maltese would get out of his collar like it was nothing. got a command collar from amazon. he hasn't gotten out of this one.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
One main key is, the dog has to be trained to know what is expected of him/her. A remote collar is not to take out frustrations with an untrained dog.

There are at least rudimentary instructions with most collars. I strongly reccomended one with a vibration or ‘page’ feature.

My collar of choice is Dogtra. I hardly ever use ‘stimulation’, mostly ‘page’. When stimulation is used, it’s at a mild level. It’s not so much a painful shock, but an uncomfortable stimulation, yes, I’ve tested it on myself.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/FINISHE...-ebook/dp/B0054G73VY

The Finished Dog is an excellent training book, including use of e-collars. The writer is who helped me train my lab and Scottish terrier.

He recommended and I use Sport Dog collars, but that had mostly to do with wanting to have a pretty long range for the lab with hunting use, and being rugged and waterproof. For short range, yard uses, there are several that will work.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
One main key is, the dog has to be trained to know what is expected of him/her. A remote collar is not to take out frustrations with an untrained dog.

There are at least rudimentary instructions with most collars. I strongly reccomended one with a vibration or ‘page’ feature.

My collar of choice is Dogtra. I hardly ever use ‘stimulation’, mostly ‘page’. When stimulation is used, it’s at a mild level. It’s not so much a painful shock, but an uncomfortable stimulation, yes, I’ve tested it on myself.

Agreed. There is a progression that is needed. Dogs learn the commands while on a lead, close to the owner, then gradually more distractions are used. Collar is introduced while still on lead as well, but not used. Once a command has been mastered on the lead, then using it off lead, but still very close. If a dog does not answer a command, “NO” is given, followed by a repeat of the command (Here, Heel, Sit, Fetch, etc). If the dog still does not follow a command (that you know he understands), then “NO” with a shock is given followed by a repeat of the command. My lab is a 1 or 2 on the dial for my transmitter, very low level. I’ve used it on myself, its a mild tingle really, not pleasant, but not painful either.

Also, it is necessary to remember that dogs have a pretty short attention span for learning new things, especially as young puppies. 10 minute sessions several times a day will work much better than a 1 hour session daily.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Beat me to it. Having an e-collar is one thing. Knowing how to properly and effectively use it is another thing all together.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Dogtra 1900s that works great. It has a vibrate,nick and constant settings. The shock can be set from 1 to 127. The batteries last a long time before needing charging.

Since I trained my dog on it the vibrate works 99% of the time unless he really gets distracted.

He no longer chases geese or deer.

3/4 mile range and waterproof.

Posts: 12660 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Dogtra Fieldmaster 1. Buy once, cry once. Electric collars work incredibly. You won’t even have to shock after a couple of times, you’ll hit the page/bzzzz button instead and they know what it means.

Training documentation, buy yourself some Leerburg DVD’s.

http://leerburg.com/dvd.htm

I’d recommend the puppy 8 weeks to 8 months, establishing pack structure with the family pet and basic dog obedience. You can watch chapter by chapter and focus on one thing at a time.
I’d call them as they used to discount the dvd’s Buying multiple.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would teach him obedience, so he would mind you no matter what or when.

If you do not have the ability to do it yourself, find a training class with a good reputation and get your dog in it.

Just my 2 cents.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post