SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If you didn't require sustenance, would you still want to eat?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you didn't require sustenance, would you still want to eat? Login/Join 
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted
Obviously, this thread is in response to Para's thread about sleep.

But, way back in 1977, I asked my bass player, "Would you give up the pleasure of eating if it meant never getting food poisoning, no trouble with bowel movements and/or indigestion, no heart burn, hemorrhoid issues, and every other problem that comes as a result of eating?"

We were on a long trip to a gig we were doing, and we had a rather lively discussion about the question because we both had endured our share of issues - the issues that come with eating.

I was about 6 years younger than him, and he and I ended up with opposite answers. What say you all?

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10704 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you didn't require sustenance, would you still want to eat?

No.

Q

Posts: 26374 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Abso-damn-lutely.

I told the Doc: "I don't drink. I don't smoke. I don't do drugs. The Wife won't let me play with painted wimmen. All I got left is good food and good coffee."

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15223 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
I find food to be one of life's pleasures so definitely no. Sometimes I wish I didn't like it so much as I can stand to loose 40 lbs.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7507 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Abso-damn-lutely.

I told the Doc: "I don't drink. I don't smoke. I don't do drugs. The Wife won't let me play with painted wimmen. All I got left is good food and good coffee."

Sounds like a conversation I had. After the list of questions my response is - No I just like to eat.

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
As long as there is bacon, I'd still want to eat.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8350 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XinTX:

Beat me to it.

Posts: 2484 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I very much enjoy both cooking and eating, so yes.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
One of the three great joys of life

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HighZonie
posted Hide Post
I'll let you know after Thanksgiving dinner.

* Diligentia Vis Celeritis *
"Thus those skilled in war subdue the enemy's army without battle .... They conquer by strategy."
- Sun Tsu - The Art of War

"Fast is Fine, but Accuracy is Everything" - Wyatt Earp

Posts: 2900 | Location: Arizona Highlands - Pine Tree Country | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Hell yes. Food is delicious.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XinTX:

Bacon is the best reason for us being carnivores that I can come up with.

Posts: 11320 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Yes. Other than "famine food" eating and savoring every ingredient is pleasurable and comforting (the origin of "comfort food"). Bacon cooking and coffee brewing are the best "aromatherapy."

Posts: 27948 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Absolutely. We have tacos and BBQ here in Texas.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Once in a while, maybe. But if there wasn’t a hunger to drive the need to cook... plus hunger adds a desire to eat...

I guess, as much as I enjoy cooking and tasting food, without hunger, I would use the time more efficiently.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I would still eat. I'm fat because I like eating (and I'm good at it). Not because I only eat when I'm hungry.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
via Imgflip Meme Generator

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Abso-damn-lutely.

^^^THIS. The curmudgeon speaks truth.

Guy I worked with was once asked the definition of a good day. His response? "Good sex, a good meal, and a good s**t." Methinks he had a clear understanding of his existence.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NO. Now waiting for the thread about sexual needs. LOL

This could be a short Psych. course in Learning and Motivation. Now the chapter on human drives. Philosophical positions welcomed.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
-Dr. Phil to Ron White; "hey Ron you wanna come party on my Yacht"
-Ron White - Fuuuck Ya !!!

If you didn't require sustenance, would you still want to eat?

Fuuuck Ya !!!

________,_____________________________
Guns don't kill people - Alec Baldwin kills people.

Posts: 1308 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post