SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    San Bernardino victim's families suing social media companies
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

San Bernardino victim's families suing social media companies Login/Join 
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted
I don't think this is going to stick, but anything to reveal the stupid bullshit at Facebook and Twitter is A-Okay by me.

quote:
The families of the victims of the 2015 San Bernardino, California, mass shooting filed a federal lawsuit Wednesday against Twitter, Facebook and Google, accusing the companies of knowingly supporting ISIS.

According to the lawsuit, filed in federal court in Los Angeles on behalf of their attorneys, the families of Sierra Clayborn, Tin Nguyen and Nicholas Thalasinos, all of whom were killed in the terror attack, claim the two social media platforms and one search engine provide the terrorist group with support and a platform to grow.

"For years, Defendants have knowingly and recklessly provided the terrorist group ISIS with accounts to use its social networks as a tool for spreading extremist propaganda, raising funds, and attracting new recruits," the families said in the lawsuit. "Defendants are information content providers because they create unique content by combining ISIS postings with advertisements in a way that is specifically targeted at the viewer."

link

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16658 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I disagree. Let the aloha sandbar mofos and trolls post whatever they want. Their digital profile makes it easier to drop a bomb on their house.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21099 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Jibbus-jabbus, but maybe this will see more interest.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31419 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I don't see this going anywhere. Even if they could prove "knowing support," I don't see how they could show any proximate cause.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
It has been a while since I was involved/paid attention, but it used to be the case that if an ISP or related service provided a communications platform and did not involve itself in the content, it wasn't liable for the content. (Stretching the analogy, but think about holding an electric company liable for what folks did with the energy they provided.). On the other hand, if the service did monitoring/censoring of any of the content, then it was responsible for all the content. The laws may well have changed by now, but if not, the families may not be completely insane for trying it on...

Posts: 6909 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
It doesn’t surprise me as much as it used to, but I do always find it interesting to see how many people in this day and age believe that lawsuits are the way to cure so many of this country’s problems.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post