SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Auto AC freon question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Auto AC freon question Login/Join 
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted
Service rep at local dealer says that the freon used in vehicles now tends to evaporate INSIDE the system. This requires perodic adding new freon to keep system working.

Never heard of such a thing until today.
Any auto AC techs have anything to sahy about this?

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4133 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CT Dakota
posted Hide Post
Not with the new systems, old R12 systems used to leak through the lines. The new systems are sealed.

Posts: 1162 | Location: SW Florida,USA | Registered: September 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
Of course it evaporates inside the system, that is what the evaporator does. Evaporation is part of the operation of an A/C system. However, if the system is sealed, there should not be any loss of refrigerant.

Sounds like a bullshit sales tactic to extort more money from customers. I would have no problem reporting him to management.

Posts: 5197 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
He’s full of it. It’s a sealed system. You don’t need to add or change out the Freon unless you have a leak. That guy needs to be reported to the manufacturer.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shifferbrains:
Of course it evaporates inside the system, that is what the evaporator does. Evaporation is part of the operation of an A/C system. However, if the system is sealed, there should not be any loss of refrigerant.

Sounds like a bullshit sales tactic to extort more money from customers. I would have no problem reporting him to management.

I've actually heard that the some of the evaporation can be recovered through condensation. That is likely some kind of ET, Zombie, Telekinesis, etc. BS though, best to just trust the tech with a 11th grade education.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're adding Freon, you have a leak.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
He's just getting you ready for R1234yf. Eek

Come to think of it, you'd better bring your own tube of KY. Wink

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8214 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by Shifferbrains:

I've actually heard that the some of the evaporation can be recovered through condensation. That is likely some kind of ET, Zombie, Telekinesis, etc. BS though, best to just trust the tech with a 11th grade education.

Yeah I think I heard that too. Wink

Posts: 5197 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
BS. I'd stop him cold.

Posts: 9140 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
He's just getting you ready for R1234yf. Eek

Come to think of it, you'd better bring your own tube of KY. Wink

Ha ! Nice.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
My AC doesn't seem to be as cold during hot days than it used to be. If it takes 10 years before you need to get topped off, then for me I'd get it topped off. But if you need to do that regularly, then I'd agree you've got a leak. But I'm AC incompetent.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I drive a 2001 Ford F150 truck in Orlando (i.e. hot place) and the AC still blows nice and cold after all these years without it ever having to be recharged, topped off, whatever. I think the guy you're talking to is blowing smoke.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Freon does not “wear out”. If your system is low it has a leak. Period. If it is one year old or thirty years old, if it needs to be “topped up” it is leaking. It may be a slow leak, and it may work for another ten years after a “top off” but rest assured it is leaking.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
If your tech finds evaporation, you need to find a new tech.
He's either lacks knowledge or honesty.

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
I just had to replace the refrigerant or rather the lack thereof in my old Outback. It was blowing hot air, after taking the 'hi' and 'Lo' lines off it was apparent the O rings were flattened out and needed renewal.

New O rings, couple cans of R134A and I'm back to cold air blowing.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mrprovy
posted Hide Post
Refrigerant systems are sealed and only need to be topped off if there's a leak or other problem.

For those that are "not as" cold, rule of thumb is outlet temperature 20° lower than outside ambient (after the car is cooled down, system is in recirculation mode, and fan on low). Refrigerant level isn't the only thing that will alter the performance; as the vehicle ages and you begin to experience slightly degraded performance, check the evaporator for damaged fins or blockages (in the radiator as well).

Posts: 62 | Location: New Yorkistan | Registered: April 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
Evaporation is the process of turning a liquid into a gas. Evaporation is a major part of the operation of an A/C system, without evaporation you have no cold air.

The A/C system is fully sealed. The refrigerant it pumped from the compressor(in gas form only) through the condenser that reverts the refrigerant back to a liquid as it cools. From the condenser it goes through a metering device(accumulator/orifice tube or a receiver-dryer/expansion valve setup).

From the metering it goes through the evaporator where the hot air inside the car is blown across the evaporator and the heat is absorbed by the refrigerant inside the evaporator through convection. This process causes the refrigerant to evaporate. What is left is cold air to come out of the registers.

Finally the refrigerant in gas form goes back to the compressor to complete the cycle and begin again.

The Rep. is implying that the refrigerant is evaporating inside the system and is being lost. We all know this is BS if the system has no leaks and is sealed. Talk to his manager so he doesn't prey on those that will buy his BS.

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neel:
I just had to replace the refrigerant or rather the lack thereof in my old Outback. It was blowing hot air, after taking the 'hi' and 'Lo' lines off it was apparent the O rings were flattened out and needed renewal.

New O rings, couple cans of R134A and I'm back to cold air blowing.

This. Also, the mineral oil that was used with R12 seemed to do a better job of keeping the system than the synthetic they use with 134a.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CT Dakota:
Not with the new systems, old R12 systems used to leak through the lines. The new systems are sealed.

All systems are sealed.
Refrigerant can permeate through hoses.

If they require refrigerant, you have a leak.... period.

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My grandfather used to claim his whiskey evaporated from the bottle, too.

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post