SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What if Red Dawn (1984) happened today? How do you think your state would fare?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What if Red Dawn (1984) happened today? How do you think your state would fare? Login/Join 
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:
quote:
Originally posted by 2tonicP220:

Ain't breaking nothing/teaching me anything new, folks in the know, or the audience here.

Good deal. I hope PA always stays as you described it, but given the amount of people moving from NY/NJ/MD, the writing is on the wall.

Stay safe, and I’m hoping that you are right and I am wrong in this.

I hear ya. As a kid I loved going to the Poconos to fish, and simply enjoy a very beautiful part of the state. Thought I would even move up to those parts some years back, but heard as you mention about the decline, gangs, cost of living and taxes... Stayed in the SW part... You know the very epicenter, and actual place referred to as clinging to God and their guns.

Shit, an army would have a hell of a time simply defeating the lower quarter of my state, w/o lots of CAS, tanks, artillery, and other armour. You stay safe too in WA state, and hope your way of life carries on in the Eastern part.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
GA, we good

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Longbow_06:
An invading force could easily take hold of the major cities, but the rural areas would be a different story, and an invading force would come up against guerrilla tactics.

This. Either way a ground force is never invading the US. If anything they'll lob 50 nukes at us.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20818 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The present Russian Army is estimated to have 1,027,000 active and 2,035,000 reserves.
The USA is estimated to have over 300,000,000 arms in private hands and some say the number is twice that.
Even if they could solve the logistics and sent everyone they had.......
But since this is pure fantasy, think of how much surplus Russian weaponry we'd have when it was over.

Posts: 9501 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
One of the things we also should consider is the number of military personnel with recent combat experience at home. There's a fair number of folks out there with plenty of training and experience that would make a resistance movement highly effective.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Alabama: "We dare defend our rights!"

Post-invasion day one: Governor declares a state-wide holiday. ALL businesses close and all personnel are available.

Post-invasion day two: Air quality alert for blue-grey smoke state-wide.

Post-invasion day three: Barbecue, Conecuh Sausage, and beer for all!

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Like most gun friendly states, West Virginia wouldn’t have to worry about buying fertilizer for some time.

Given that the US has an extremely good early warning infrastructure, I doubt a force large enough to cause concern would make it through much of our territorial waters. If someone were able to pop off an coordinated EMP attack nationwide, it might go differently. A sudden loss of all power and communication to spread the word that an attack was underway might allow the foreign power to gain footholds...if the military systems weren’t hardened enough. In an EMP event, other Americans would be a larger concern until the big picture became clear.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15570 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
All the liberals would be turning in their conservative neighbors for free shit. Besides that it would be game on.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4834 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
Enough EMPs deployed and the interwebs and cell bet taken down the vast majority of the current populace would beg for mercy, if the invading force didn't wear uniforms with big red stars on them and instead dressed like US first responders or US military, with a lack of communication, it could be a problem of who is friend or foe. See: Invasion U.S.A. If the US had a common easily identified enemy, even the liberals would take up arms and stick flag magnets on their cars. See: 9/11/01.

Posts: 2516 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
I think AZ is in pretty good shape. Lordy, there are a lot of serious guns in private hands here.

Except all the illegals would join forces with the invaders Smile

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having revisited the movie summary, I have doubts that our local high school team handles automatic weapons as well as the average North Korean invader. I especially wonder about the cheerleaders and their ability to mow down North Koreans who seem to be waiting in line to be executed. I am not too sure that in their tactical advantage high school class they learned the basics of taking and holding the high ground.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
I don't think it would go very well. Those that believe in Patriotism and the 2nd Amendment would be trapped at work away from their arms and unable to resist, while the no-good POS Libtards wouldn't care. They would just want to make sure they'd still get their free shit.

So IMHO, the "invaders" would be able to establish some strong-holds before a resistance could be mounted.

I agree with you. Also I don't think it would be paratroopers coming down, it would be thousands of missiles followed by by bombs.
I think that kind of borage would break the spririt of many.
On the other hand, a few individuals will rise, don't think it would be that many people, war is very ugly in real life.

Posts: 1178 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
I think AZ is in pretty good shape. Lordy, there are a lot of serious guns in private hands here.

Plus some serious ordinance at hand....(Big Sandy event next week)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eV8N0bUzA0

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Invading the U.S. would have been a monumental undertaking even if it involved only a limited incursion, but very little of that would have been due to men’s grabbing their 30-30s and 22s to man the front lines. Even if there had been the number of firearms and men willing to use them that mythology suggests, what about the other logistical requirements of fighting a war even 77 years ago? Then, as now, very few gun owners had massive stocks of ammunition, and protracted battles consume ammunition at a high rate. A box or two sufficient for hunting could have been used up in literally a few minutes against a highly trained and well equipped invading army.
It wasn't a state at the time, but Alaska was a US territory and the Japanese did invade and hold part of Alaska's Aleutian Islands for a year. They were very concerned about further advances into Alaska so fjords leading to places like Seward and Whittier they built artillery positions at the fjord entrances that you can still hike to today. Occupying remote, sparsely populated islands didn't turn out to be much of a victory, but it did take American air power, naval power, and ground forces to reestablish control.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Just two words: West Virginia.

quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Like most gun friendly states, West Virginia wouldn’t have to worry about buying fertilizer for some time.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amc:
I'm in Utah, were ready for just about anything here

I get the feeling it would be like opening day of the deer hunt - 10 hunters shooting at 1 animal.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VictimNoMore:
Just two words: West Virginia

Isn’t that four words, West by God Virginia?

Posts: 6917 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I suspect the resistance wouldn't be as vigorous as most think. Most people don't have it in them.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I suspect the resistance wouldn't be as vigorous as most think. Most people don't have it in them.

Agreed and i'm sure they are bringing artillery, air assets and armor. Since its a red dawn thread, we know they are going to check 4473's. So when the Cuban Colonel see's the weapons from the 4473's It's on like donkey kong. I ain't going to a reeducation camp.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depends on the goals of the invaders. If it is merely to make the USA ineffectual throughout the world without wanting to or caring to "hold and control" then just cook off a few nukes internally creating havoc. This would allow for the looting and rioting to start and for a good bit of time we would be fighting a bit of a civil war. Thus, the "invasion" would be successful.

Now, if it was an all out, uniformed, conventional attack with limited goal of holding just the coasts, that could be somewhat successful for a time. But why?

The "fly in the ointment" is all the Nuke power plants east of the Mississippi (and the west coast). Any occupying force would need not only secure them, but to keep them safe. If half of them melted down during the invasion, most of the area east of the Mississippi would be uninhabitable for about 10,000 years.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post