SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What if Red Dawn (1984) happened today? How do you think your state would fare?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What if Red Dawn (1984) happened today? How do you think your state would fare? Login/Join 
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2tonicP220:
I love it when PA gets lumped in as some sorta liberal haven... I can get a LTC firearms in about 15 minutes, all 'assault' weapons are A-OK, not to mention kids get the deer opener off from school. Go ahead, start talking shit/doing shit in some of the places I have been and lived in across the state. I had dyed in the wool folks from E. KY tell me, PA rednecks are the real deal... Believe it.

I hate to break it to you, but even “liberal haven” states can have huge numbers of rednecks. Northern California, eastern Oregon, Colorado, hell - even upstate New York are full of them.

...that doesn’t mean your state as a whole isn’t a liberal haven.

Edit: I lived for several years growing up in north central PA.

Posts: 2323 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in Utah, were ready for just about anything here

Posts: 2753 | Registered: March 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5025 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Well, he might say it today, but there is no proof of him ever saying it 77 years ago.

No disagreement on your reply, in fact, it is a very good reply to the topic.

Mine was a synthetic parallelism.

Meaning, that no proof it was said, but if he were alive today, he "might" (be alive and able to say it, although unlikely as he never (was proven) to said it.

And the point was a way to make the statement in a way that might stick with people, who then may not "quote him" as a matter of fact.

Apologies for the drift.

(some days, I think out loud in type.)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43859 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
I love it when PA gets lumped in as some sorta liberal haven... I can get a LTC firearms in about 15 minutes, all 'assault' weapons are A-OK, not to mention kids get the deer opener off from school. Go ahead, start talking shit/doing shit in some of the places I have been and lived in across the state. I had dyed in the wool folks from E. KY tell me, PA rednecks are the real deal... Believe it.

Only Philly is a liberal bastion but the lefty Yorkers and Jersee-ites are moving into the state in droves and I fear Eastern PA will be doomed in a couple decades. Until then PA, its western and southern brethren would give an invading army a nightmare.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
I'm in rural South Carolina...we could use the excitement.

Posts: 1966 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rainman64:

They are coming through Texas first.
Everyday - thousands. Frown

BUILD THE WALL!

Posts: 22888 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Go to the sporting goods store. From the files obtain forms 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would depend on how determined the invaders were. If they killed everything that moved (i.e. Tokyo, Dresden, Nagasaki, Hiroshima) we wouldn't do well. It they tried to win our hearts and minds we'd win.

Posts: 7546 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big Difference, in 1984 not to many people owned those nasty black rifles & 1000 rounds of ammo!

Posts: 152 | Location: west Florida | Registered: July 08, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
It would depend on how determined the invaders were. If they killed everything that moved (i.e. Tokyo, Dresden, Nagasaki, Hiroshima) we wouldn't do well. It they tried to win our hearts and minds we'd win.

That’s a fantastic point, and one overlooked. Most individuals tend to look to past wars, and imagine that future ones will be the same.

Warfare has steadily evolved to be more violent, and blur the line between combatant and non-combatant. In many ways, the past 70 years post WWII have been more “police actions” than true warfare.

In the event of the next major conflict, I believe that the goal (other than forcing surrender) will be the complete annihilation of the opposing population, or expulsion of them from the lands that the victor wants to occupy.

Posts: 2323 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SecurityGeek
posted Hide Post
The patriot in me hopes that all Americans would always stand together against any aggressor, but the realist in me thinks that, especially given the current state of domestic affairs, a significant number of anti-gunners (and other “enlightened” souls who “know better”) would willingly sell out their gun-owning neighbors to save their own butts. Don’t care if it’s China, Russia, or aliens from deep space, cowards can always be counted upon to put their own self-interests over everything else. For that matter, I’m pretty sure at least some in Congress would cut their own deals and leave us to the wolves if it came to that. Somehow I don’t see Chuck Schumer or Occasional Cortex taking a literal bullet for anyone. They’d make the Calumet mayor seem like a guerilla warlord by comparison.

"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you was?"

- Satchel Paige

Posts: 194 | Location: Little Elm, Texas | Registered: April 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Meaning, that no proof it was said, but if he were alive today, he "might" (be alive and able to say it, although unlikely as he never (was proven) to said it.

I believe I understood your precise point, and do not disagree with you either.
My reaction to that commonly-repeated supposed quote has always been that Yamamoto was intelligent and knowledgeable enough to have been far more concerned about other problems with invading the United States than the possibility that the citizenship would grab their guns from behind their bedroom doors and a box or two of cartridges from their hunting coats to meet an invader like the Japanese army.

People who have never seen or at least studied modern military combat often have very naïve ideas about what it’s like. I don’t necessarily blame them because I did too when I was in my early teens, but I like to believe I got over that a very long time ago.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The current Oregon political regime would welcome the commie invaders with open arms and fully cooperate.

CCW lists would be given to the invaders, eagerly.

The main resistance would be in eastern Oregon.

There would be isolated pockets of resistance in the western part of Oregon. But these would not last long with the current regime ratting these pockets out.

At least with the large amateur radio population in the state, word would get out fast.

-.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.-
It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.

Ayn Rand

"He gains votes ever and anew by taking money from everybody and giving it to a few, while explaining that every penny was extracted from the few to be giving to the many."

Ogden Nash from his poem - The Politician

Posts: 1687 | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:
quote:

I hate to break it to you, but even “liberal haven” states can have huge numbers of rednecks. Northern California, eastern Oregon, Colorado, hell - even upstate New York are full of them.

...that doesn’t mean your state as a whole isn’t a liberal haven.

Edit: I lived for several years growing up in north central PA.

Ain't breaking nothing/teaching me anything new, folks in the know, or the audience here.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
California would be fucked.

We have tons of guns and plenty of patriots here. But the high population density of our metro areas would create a huge refugee problem.

As soon as food, power, and water distribution got disrupted you'd have an instant humanitarian crisis. It would take forever to empty out the millions of people from the urban areas.

If the populace got hungry and angry enough, there would be plenty of guns and ammo to fight back with though. An invading force would have a huge insurgency problem after a few weeks.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

They are coming through Texas first.
Everyday - thousands. Frown

BUILD THE WALL!

We aren't allowed to shoot

Posts: 5025 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mech
posted Hide Post
Portland and Seattle would probably welcome the invaders with open arms and signs like those poor souls atop the rooftops in Independence Day. Their sorry asses would only be saved by the military bases nearby. Go further out east or south from Seattle into the more suburban/rural areas and it would be a bloodbath as there still are a good number of patriots around.

All the invaders would need to do is drop a crap ton of kale into Seattle and Portland and they would be instantly pacified...

Posts: 1160 | Location: SW Washington, Support Sporting Systems! | Registered: March 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ain't breaking nothing/teaching me anything new, folks in the know, or the audience here.

Good deal. I hope PA always stays as you described it, but given the amount of people moving from NY/NJ/MD, the writing is on the wall.

Stay safe, and I’m hoping that you are right and I am wrong in this.

Idiot by birth,
Asshole by choice
posted Hide Post
An invading force could easily take hold of the major cities, but the rural areas would be a different story, and an invading force would come up against guerrilla tactics.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Georgia... 45 Minutes from everywhere....... | Registered: July 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post