SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What if Red Dawn (1984) happened today? How do you think your state would fare?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What if Red Dawn (1984) happened today? How do you think your state would fare? Login/Join 
posted
I was eating some granola for breakfast and turned on Red Dawn(1984) for some entertainment and I pondered what would happen today. We are assuming that things happened and it has reached a point, like in the movie, where the invasion happened and that is where we are at.

For Colorado I think they have been so invaded by Californians and Lib Texans that they would welcome them with open arms, get them registered to vote, and then enroll them in welfare programs. ha ha ha, but really folks.

Here in Texas I believe Austin would be lost cause but the rest of the state would be a thorn in the side of any invaders.

Houston Texas, if the heat don't kill ya, the skeeters will.

Posts: 359 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I honestly think it would be a bloodbath for any invading army anywhere in the United States.

Between the prevalence of arms and ammo even in the most heavily restricted locales, the fact that we do have a ton of folks who are at the very least passable rifleman and combine that with our criminal elements that include some vicious gangs with folks who have no value of life their own or anybody else’s.

A military victory would be next to impossible and would likely be one long bloody quagmire. Just think of the morale hit knowing that every house might have a redneck with a lever gun and something to prove. That shit would get old quick.

Now a cultural coup........well that’s another war.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Don't know about this fictional movie, but I'm certain that today, Admiral Yamamoto of the Imperial Japanese Navy would not say, "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." Instead, he'd say "the people in the cities of the west coast are pussies."

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10905 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Well, he might say it today, but there is no proof of him ever saying it 77 years ago.

He was too busy blowing planes up, with John McCain, on the USS Forrestal.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Dead before they hit the ground.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Not particularly well. The internal looting and killing for the first day or three of winning some extra loot and wimmens would not position us well for the coming weeks.

I'd like to think while I was in TX that was better, but in north DFW area probably not. Rural Texas, probably better for survival but not enough people in a concentrated area.

Mississippi. sigh

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12404 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
I live in Florida. We are still a free state. For the moment.
At last count we had about 2 million concealed permit holders. This is about 10% of the total population of the state.
I know not everyone carry's but that gives you a good idea about how many gun owners we have. It would also depend on how many people would be willing to fight.
I think we would do just fine.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
It would be a turkey shoot.
Imagine if every red blooded AR15 owning American got the green light to arm up and go shoot some commies. We'd run out of commies before most of us could even get there.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
The invaders would probably fare about as well as the last time a foreign country tried to invade Alaska.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I don't think it would go very well. Those that believe in Patriotism and the 2nd Amendment would be trapped at work away from their arms and unable to resist, while the no-good POS Libtards wouldn't care. They would just want to make sure they'd still get their free shit.

So IMHO, the "invaders" would be able to establish some strong-holds before a resistance could be mounted.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
It would be a turkey shoot.
Imagine if every red blooded AR15 owning American got the green light to arm up and go shoot some commies. We'd run out of commies before most of us could even get there.

... like arriving late to the most popular garage sale in town

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I think AZ is in pretty good shape. Lordy, there are a lot of serious guns in private hands here.

Posts: 3523 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
In general I think much of Las Vegas could be made a mess, but rural Nevada is more like Utah, Idaho, & Montana. I don't think anyone could get a toehold there, including homegrown GDCs.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
What if it was slowly happening already? Wink

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Not sure about MD, probably the Western part of the state would do OK. PA, except for Philly and I’m talking only the city b/c the burbs are well armed, would be a nightmare for any invaders. Same for DE, WV and non-northern VA. There’s plenty of hunters in the mid-Atlantic, not to mention recreational shooters, that I wouldn’t want to plan against them on their home turf.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Well, he might say it today, but there is no proof of him ever saying it 77 years ago.

And I cannot imagine his even saying it.

Invading the U.S. would have been a monumental undertaking even if it involved only a limited incursion, but very little of that would have been due to men’s grabbing their 30-30s and 22s to man the front lines. Even if there had been the number of firearms and men willing to use them that mythology suggests, what about the other logistical requirements of fighting a war even 77 years ago? Then, as now, very few gun owners had massive stocks of ammunition, and protracted battles consume ammunition at a high rate. A box or two sufficient for hunting could have been used up in literally a few minutes against a highly trained and well equipped invading army.

At the start of the process of defending their South Africa homes against invaders some 50 years before Pearl Harbor, the Boers were in a similar situation: Lots of guns, but many were unsuited for warfare and they were chambered for many different cartridges. Their leadership quickly realized that to be successful in defense, they needed a lot of ammunition and needed commonality in caliber for both the ammo stocks and their rifles. That’s why they bought thousands of Mauser rifles and millions of rounds of ammunition.

And of course marksmen, guns, and ammunition were not the only things that were necessary to fight a war even 77 years ago.

For a very enlightening look at America’s preparedness—and willingness—to fight at the beginning of our involvement in World War II, I highly recommend The Darkest Year: The American Home Front 1941-1942 by William K. Klingaman.

But worse for the armed defense of the nation against a military invader would be the spirit and willingness of those available to do it. This forum’s membership is far better armed and is probably more willing to defend themselves than the average American, man or woman, and yet there have been plenty of indications in my opinion that not even all of us would be willing to hop into our Toyotas and Hondas and drive hundreds of miles to join a fight. Guerrilla warfare? Sure, that would be possible and would probably occur to some extent, but with how many participants?
And don’t forget that the U.S. and a few of its civilized allies fight against guerrillas very differently than they’ve been fought by most countries throughout history. As a very minimum, when a military patrol gets fired on from ambush by shooters who can’t be identified by uniforms as members of a “legitimate” army, the response is to set the town on fire and round up hundreds of civilians as hostages to prevent a recurrence—assuming they’re not just shot on the spot as reprisal.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
That would solve two big problems I currently have.

1. Colorado is overran with granola crunching, hippie, california transplant, pussies. We can send them to the front lines with bouquets of flowers and use them as cannon fodder.

2. I would finally have a good reason to burn through a lot of old green tips. Cool

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
Start the invasion in NJ and head west... Wouln't even make it halfway across Pennsyltucky, facing the one million hunters for the antlered deer opener, let alone all firearms owners. Fucking bloodbath before they hit the Appalachians.

I like what Lincoln had to say:

How then shall we perform it?--At what point shall we expect the approach of danger? By what means shall we fortify against it?-- Shall we expect some transatlantic military giant, to step the Ocean, and crush us at a blow? Never!--

All the armies of Europe, Asia and Africa combined, with all the treasure of the earth (our own excepted) in their military chest; with a Buonaparte for a commander, could not by force, take a drink from the Ohio, or make a track on the Blue Ridge, in a trial of a thousand years.

I love it when PA gets lumped in as some sorta liberal haven... I can get a LTC firearms in about 15 minutes, all 'assault' weapons are A-OK, not to mention kids get the deer opener off from school. Go ahead, start talking shit/doing shit in some of the places I have been and lived in across the state. I had dyed in the wool folks from E. KY tell me, PA rednecks are the real deal... Believe it.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That film should win an award for Best Comedy.

As to your question, I live in Mississippi. No further explanation needed.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
They'd have a hard time of it in Missouri. So long as there's enough beer to last, it might even be considered a right fun party.

I just don't think any invaders would have much of a chance to make it this far.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post