SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question For The Precious Metals Experts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question For The Precious Metals Experts Login/Join 
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted
For the last 10 years or more, I have been collecting American Silver Eagle Coins (ASE). Up until this year, the markup has been at most 2 bucks per coin. Why is the markup in 2021 over 10 bucks? And, more importantly, will this incredibly expensive markup always be this high from now on?

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10711 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
varied availability of physical versus spot(paper price) - thus price over spot is far higher for real, physical silver.

Posts: 513 | Location: SEMO | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I am not an expert.

I've been watching mass interest in new persons interested in accumulating physical precious metals. Silver is the most approachable.

I'm in that camp also.

I listened to a long podcast some time back with a bunch of the larger silver distributors and suppliers (like APMEX) discussing low availability, and artificial influences historically in keeping silver prices down. I didn't understand most of it, but they all agreed that the silver market is changing.

I don't buy to hold and sell later, as a means of making money. I'm buying for other reasons, largely related to distrust of places where most people park their money, and what I see as a coming wave of persecution of certain peoples, of which I believe I will be among.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
AK, I'm like you -not thinking of buying low and selling high - just wanting to have something to barter with when the dollar crashes.

About ten years ago, I wanted to get something for my nieces and nephews on their birthdays that would be different, so I bought them some ASEs. Since then, I have helped them get un-circulated ASEs from every year starting in 1986. I wanted to continue the idea and buy them some 2021 ASEs. But, the fee is almost 12 bucks. That amounts to $120 just for the retailer's markup, and that seems ridiculous since I am accustomed to paying only a couple of bucks over spot per coin.

As of today, every silver coin retailer I have checked online (approximately 20 sites) has 2021 ASEs IN STOCK.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10711 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Physical supply is less than the current demand.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This will not last forever. Like all commodities, metals run in cycles and are currently in a bull market. No way to tell how much longer it will be before it starts turning down again, too many variables right now.

Posts: 817 | Registered: February 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Right now the “market” knows the dollar is over valued and the capital markets are really jacked up.

Sadly, I don’t think the voters are educated enough to support reform to the capital markets.

Posts: 5746 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
And,there’s not enough PM for the big boys to go in. Just doing a 7MM/year buy takes all kinds of hoops

Posts: 5746 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's exactly what is occuring with ammunition. Lots of demand, not enough supply. It will balance out and go back eventually. However, it is possible that the premium you would pay now for physical gold or silver (vs paper) is less than the appreciated future price with no extra add on cost. Many think that is the case, that's why they are buying now.

You'll see the same thing with Ford trucks. They won't have any to sell, so you'll be paying full sticker price, or more for a while until supply catches up. (not enough computer chips)

Posts: 1925 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post