SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Importing a car?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Importing a car? Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
Note: this is more a curiosity question than anything I'd practical consider.

How does one go about importing a car into the US, particularly if it's a make that has no presence in the US?

Like if a guy wanted a mini SUV with a diesel engine like a Dacia Duster or a Peugeot 3008....

Can they be legally imported to the US? I assume it's expensive, if so. Could you get the in through Mexico? I've seen a photo of a Dacia Duster in California that was presumably brought up from Mexico.

Obviously it's not practical, especially for something that's got near equivalents on the American market, but how do you do it if there's an itch you have to scratch or you're just so disappointed in gaps in the American market you need to import?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
It’s really not worth the effort unless it’s an antique. https://jalopnik.com/here-are-...o-the-uni-1682067632

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
BMW had a program but I heard they are phasing it out. You could fly over to Germany pick up your car, drive around and do a vacation then they would ship it to the USA for you.

Since it was through BMW it had all the problems worked out and the car was already US compliant.

Importing it all yourself would be a hassle.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
25+ years old is the easiest, as it'll be exempt from a lot of the federalization that a newer car will require.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15285 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Do a search for importing a grey market car. This was very popular a couple of decades ago but I'm not sure it's a practical thing to do today.

The European delivery program others have mentioned is new USA legal cars done through the manufacturers system.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can find a good bit of info online. For example, it’s a popular topic for older, non-US Land Cruisers.

As noted above, the 25-yr-old threshold is significant.

I’d love to buy a new 70-series LC from Australia and have it imported. But, the reality quickly pops that fantasy. Might be easier to just move there!

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read about someone trying to do this several years ago and it was such a hassle and so expensive that the person gave up. It's a shame, there are some really cool and interesting cars that we'll never see over here.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3524 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
BMW had a program but I heard they are phasing it out. You could fly over to Germany pick up your car, drive around and do a vacation then they would ship it to the USA for you.

Since it was through BMW it had all the problems worked out and the car was already US compliant.

Importing it all yourself would be a hassle.
My younger brother did that with his first car, a VW Jetta, and my Mom did it with a BMW. It isn’t really what the OP is asking about though.

If you’re over there, you take delivery of your US spec car, usually ordered in the US, drive it while you are there, then leave it with an importer. They store it for a while, then ship it to you. I think the time period had to be six months after initial delivery, but can’t swear to that. Anyway, you are importing a bog standard, made for the US market car, but it is now considered used, so you save on taxes.

The OP is looking for something a little more interesting (and probably expensive).

Posts: 6914 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Being able to get through EPA BS seems to usually be THE MAIN issue.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:

IIRC, this ^ and the safety bits,

I think you can basically import anything you want, as long as you don't ever plan on driving it on a public road (as in good look getting it licensed)

you see a lot of small Asian made pickups for sale for farm use type stuff only,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
particularly if it's a make that has no presence in the US?

Charlie Babbitt made a fortune at this. Almost.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
the 25 yr standard is the main guideline that for the most part can't be circumvented. Unless it's a show car, a race car or a one of a kind special car, you most likely can't get it certified for registration in the US. I have seen a few people that imported cars to the USVI. From there the EPA/DOT just rubber stamp the import and there are none of the issues everyone else as stated. I don't think it's really a legal loophole, but it does exist.
I have wanted to import a newer car from overseas, but since it is not US spec, it is way too expensive, and/or prohibited to do it and wouldn't make it worth my while.

Posts: 478 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
This information is probably too old to be useful, but I worked in Barcelona from May 1977 to October 1978.

During that time I bought a Mercedes Diesel sedan and a BMW motorcycle.

When it was time to return home to the U.S., I just turned everything over to the company that packed and shipped my household goods.

No hassle at all, I paid a few hundred bucks in import duty for the vehicles. Way less than I expected.

Only problem was a ding on the roof of the Mercedes and a missing oil dipstick.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
As many have said, the 25-year rule is the easiest way to import a car. If you like Japanese-market-only cars (or versions of cars we have here, like diesel Toyotas, etc.) then take a look at the inventory for sale at this place in Richmond, VA: https://www.japaneseclassics.com/inventory/

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
ancient I know, in 1994 we bought an almost new Volvo 850 from an elderly couple who had personally imported it. Their story was, every few years they would go abroad to pick up their US spec car, drive around for a few months, then come to USA. The auto factory involved arranged shipping with the "touring company".

Note that was 26 years ago. They said they could make enough on the US value, to pay for their trip expenses & drive a new car around for part of the year.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
ancient I know, in 1994 we bought an almost new Volvo 850 from an elderly couple who had personally imported it. Their story was, every few years they would go abroad to pick up their US spec car, drive around for a few months, then come to USA. The auto factory involved arranged shipping with the "touring company".

Note that was 26 years ago. They said they could make enough on the US value, to pay for their trip expenses & drive a new car around for part of the year.

I think the OP is talking about non-US-spec cars.

Seems most Euro dealers are ending their European Delivery programs for US-spec cars, too.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15285 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
If it’s not 25 years old, it can be a pain in the ass, to a total loss if Homeland Security seizes it. Yes, it happens more than you think. DHS has taken more Nissan Skylines, than poor driving from dumb kids.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:

That is the main issue, but there are other little petty things as well. For example, the speedometer has to be modified to show mph, instead of kph. It can show both.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just buy one from a reputable importer like japanese classics.

https://www.japaneseclassics.com/

All their vehicles come with all the correct paperwork and a legit transferable title.

Of course, you have to deal with right hand drive on most of their stuff but you can actually call and request a specific vehicle for them to look for.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
If it’s not 25 years old, it can be a pain in the ass, to a total loss if Homeland Security seizes it. Yes, it happens more than you think. DHS has taken more Nissan Skylines, than poor driving from dumb kids.

Probably due to some of these so-called importers not paying attention to the actual model year of the specific car, or not caring enough to do the research. Word gets out that a particular model is finally available and these bozos start buying the car across the entire model run instead of just those cars for the year that qualifies for the 25-year exemption. I recall there were some R32 GTRs seized a few years ago because they were still a model year or so short of qualifying. Now that the first production year R34 GTR qualifies, probably the same thing will happen again...assuming they can even get anything out of Japan right now.

-MG

Posts: 1979 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post