SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Colorado: Bill Signed Legalizing Switchblades & Gravity Knives
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colorado: Bill Signed Legalizing Switchblades & Gravity Knives Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Congrats, Coloradoans!

I would like to see Washington legalize them also. Looking into it recently, they further stiffened their laws in 2014 to include prohibiting manufacture of auto knives. So stupid. How a switchblade is ANY more dangerous than any other knife is totally beyond me.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Congrats, Coloradoans!

I would like to see Washington legalize them also. Looking into it recently, they further stiffened their laws in 2014 to include prohibiting manufacture of auto knives. So stupid. How a switchblade is ANY more dangerous than any other knife is totally beyond me.

Especially when I can deploy my Emerson CQC-8 faster due to the "wave" feature.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I gave mine to a working street cop on this forum about five years ago after I retired. Woot! Now I can replace it legally. I've been carrying Emerson Waves since. Don't think I'll mention this to the missus.

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Any reason to not consider a Benchmade 6800 of some variety?

quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
Just click folders and check the automatics box, that will get you there.

Thanks, but it isn’t loading properly at the moment. I’ll check later.

Benchmade knives are sweet. BUT, they will not support autos purchased by civilians.

Posts: 5127 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
For those looking for a well-made and reasonably affordable option (or just the Czech version of a Swiss Army swithblade - that still cracks me up), take a look at the Mikovs.

http://www.mikov.cz/en/28-KNIV...KNIVES-PREDATOR.html

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
quote:
Tennessee okayed switchblades recently, whereas Virginia outlaws them. (Everything is outlawed in VA.)

Virginia actually passed a bill legalizing them this session. But McAwful vetoed it. We probably don't have the votes to override next month.

I didn't catch that news here in Va..thanks for posting it,although its not good news... Confused

How are butterfly knives classified in Va? To me ,butterly knives are more useful than auto knives.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
This one's extremely well made and heavy duty with a wicked opening. Z-knife

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Nice to see the updated map. That's more in line with what I'm currently aware of.

However, I don't carry my automatics across state lines due to myriad nonsensical laws from one town to the next. Knife laws are STUPID!

In any event - When those of you in CO are able, this is a very economical, very sturdy auto. I love mine.

http://www.bladehq.com/item--K...tomatic-Knife--27374

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Storm thanks for the link.

I have to start for one here in California see how they allow

4.California (maximum 2″ blade length limitation)

Any idea where I can start looking for a mini??

I may have found it

http://www.benchmade.com/autom...es/impel-family.html

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
I can see it now Big Grin

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prep, Confirm, Roll
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
Benchmade knives are sweet. BUT, they will not support autos purchased by civilians.

You are mistaken sir. I have a benchmade auto getting overhauled by the factory as we speak.

They just require that it is sent to them through an authorized dealer. Then they return it to the dealer who in turn returns it to you. Easy peasy.

NRA Certified instructor,
and Range Safety officer

OpSpec Training http://opspectraining.com
Grayguns - http://grayguns.com

Posts: 3172 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
quote:
Tennessee okayed switchblades recently, whereas Virginia outlaws them. (Everything is outlawed in VA.)

Virginia actually passed a bill legalizing them this session. But McAwful vetoed it. We probably don't have the votes to override next month.

If I understand things correctly(that's a big if) they actually aren't illegal in Virginia. They are kinda like radar detectors. You can own them, you just cant use them. Basically you can own them, but you cannot carry them, even openly on your belt. Cannot be on or about your person.

Which effectively makes them useless except for collectors and guys who want to sit on the couch and play with them while watching the tube.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tank Fisher down in Texas makes a heck of an automatic. More specializing in traditional patterns, and excellent quality.
http://www.tbarkcustomknives.com/

Posts: 403 | Registered: November 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
Nice to see the updated map. That's more in line with what I'm currently aware of.

However, I don't carry my automatics across state lines due to myriad nonsensical laws from one town to the next. Knife laws are STUPID!

In any event - When those of you in CO are able, this is a very economical, very sturdy auto. I love mine.

http://www.bladehq.com/item--K...tomatic-Knife--27374

That is a pretty decent price for an auto-knife. Plus, Kershaws are one of my favorite folding knife makers. Most autos seem to be overpriced, IMO.

quote:
Originally posted by ontmark:
Storm thanks for the link.

I have to start for one here in California see how they allow

4.California (maximum 2″ blade length limitation)

Any idea where I can start looking for a mini??

I may have found it

http://www.benchmade.com/autom...es/impel-family.html

You're Welcome.

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
In celebration and anticipation of the new Colorado knife laws, I ordered a Microtech UTX-85 with 3.1in blade.
The blade will be satin, not black.

I can't carry it until August, but I want to be ready.
Not a bad price either, 200 dollars.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31419 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of btgoanna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Microtech UTX-85

I carry that exact knife everyday
I think you are gunna love it Wink

Posts: 832 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: November 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
That's a nice looking knife, lbj. Looks like a fun toy.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107459 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
Nice lbj, I'm looking at a Microtech Troodon or a Benchmade Adamus. As I understand it, the outdoors community are who got this passed in Colorado. Opening a knife one handed when your other arm is snagged up is quite handy.

Posts: 4010 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Thanks for this notice. I will now be looking for an auto: Any suggestions, members?

ProTech GodFather or GodSon

Posts: 10781 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of other types, but they are double edged and hence illegal for everyday carry.

Basically the new UTX-85 replaces my standard pocket knife (in August).

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31419 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post