SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Colorado: Bill Signed Legalizing Switchblades & Gravity Knives
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colorado: Bill Signed Legalizing Switchblades & Gravity Knives Login/Join 
Picture of Storm
posted
Two days ago, Governor Hickenlooper signed a bill legalizing switchblade and gravity knives. The bill will not go into effect until 90 days after the legislative session ends (likely around August 9, 2017).

I'm honestly shocked that this not only got through our Democrat dominated house, but that Hickenlooper signed it. But hey, it's a win for Colorado.

KnifeRights.org - Governor Signs Colorado Switchblade/Gravity Knife Ban Repeal

Information on the Bill:
LegiScan.com - Colorado Senate Bill 8

Here's some info on knife laws around the country.
KnifeUp.com - U.S. State Knife Laws

ETA: Previous maps removed, due to out of date information.

ETA: This looks like a more up to date map on auto-knives (switchblades) legality.

Map Source: American Knife & Tool Institute: State Laws Regarding Auto-Open Knives

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Storm,

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Damn Seems like them officials are smoking fuchen dope.

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
As if knives are less lethal than guns. Roll Eyes A lot of people believe this, however. How many times have you heard, for example, "The officer didn't need to shoot that guy! He only had a knife!"

Posts: 27929 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
I'm so happy.

So, so so happy...

I MIGHT hand Benchmade an olive branch. Oh yew 9100...i caint quit yew!!

Posts: 5130 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks for this notice. I will now be looking for an auto: Any suggestions, members?

I know: what do I have in mind?
A quality product with a sturdy blade suitable for utility use if required no more than 3.5 inches long that can be easily sharpened with a clamp-on guide (à la Lansky)—i.e., no double-edged daggers, etc.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Can someone tell me what a "gravity knife" is? Is it like a spring assisted side folder or something?

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
Can someone tell me what a "gravity knife" is? Is it like a spring assisted side folder or something?

Gravity knives are stupid.

Yall gotta get a microtech LUDT.

Or a hk auto something.

Side opener will be stronger than OTF.

Stick with US made and you will be happy.

Posts: 5130 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Thanks for this notice. I will now be looking for an auto: Any suggestions, members?

A quality product with a sturdy blade suitable for utility use if required no more than 3.5 inches long that can be easily sharpened with a clamp-on guide (à la Lansky)—i.e., no double-edged daggers, etc.

http://www.protechknives.com/k...des/emerson-cqc7.asp

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

You're Welcome.

Benchmade makes some pretty nice auto-knives (switchblades). Other than them, I'm not familiar with any other brands.

Benchmade Auto Knives

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:

Gravity Knife:
A gravity knife is a knife with a blade contained in its handle, and which opens its blade by the force of inertia or gravity.[1] As the gravity knife requires gravity or spinning motion to propel the blade out of the handle, it differs fundamentally from the switchblade, which opens its spring-propelled blade automatically upon the push of a button, switch, or fulcrum lever.[1] The main purpose of this opening method is that it allows opening and closing to be done one handed, in situations where the other hand is occupied. A major historical use has been in issue to parachutists to cut off their parachutes when tangled in a tree or in similar situations.

The gravity knife uses a button, trigger, or fulcrum lever to release the blade from both the open and the closed positions, and may use a side-folding or telescoping (out-the-front, or OTF) blade. While most military gravity knives utilize a locking blade design, other types may not mechanically lock open but rely instead upon friction to wedge the rear section of the blade against the interior of the handle.[2] Factory-made gravity knives have various types of buttons, triggers, and fulcrum levers, which usually are used to release the blade from both the open and the closed positions.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_knife

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
That's good news, but I wouldn't rely on whatever that website is for correct, accurate information.

I spotted a few errors on that map right off the bat.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
That's good news, but I wouldn't rely on whatever that website is for correct, accurate information.

You're right, the date on the source for those maps is 9/2013. I've added a link to a Knife Law tool on the same website.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:

Agreed. I don't buy that first map. IIRC, Tennessee okayed switchblades recently, whereas Virginia outlaws them. (Everything is outlawed in VA.) But I read these things on the internet, so who knows.

Posts: 27929 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
I MIGHT hand Benchmade an olive branch.

Is there some reason Benchmade needs an olive branch? (I am completely ignorant.)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
When they come available, THIS is the first one you get!

https://www.knifecenter.com/it...ndles-leather-sheath

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34108 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Huh? Switchblades became legal in Tennessee in 2014.

http://www.kniferights.org/ind...ent&task=view&id=250

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I've purchased many good custom autos from these folks at Arizona Knives. I posted a few that I have left in the last few pages of the Smartphone thread in the Gallery pgs 16-17, to include a Stellito, ProTech and one of my favorites a "Z" knife custom hand made by a fellow in GA. You can still find some of his creations by doing a web search. He builds some good sturdy autos.

LINK: Arizona Knives

Just click folders and check the assisted opening box, that will get you there.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: just1tym,

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Any reason to not consider a Benchmade 6800 of some variety?

quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
Just click folders and check the automatics box, that will get you there.

Thanks, but it isn’t loading properly at the moment. I’ll check later.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tennessee okayed switchblades recently, whereas Virginia outlaws them. (Everything is outlawed in VA.)

Virginia actually passed a bill legalizing them this session. But McAwful vetoed it. We probably don't have the votes to override next month.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
This one seems to have run under the radar.
Maybe that's why the measure passed?

In any case, yes, I got to order something.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31422 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post