SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SWAT team went to mayor’s house with a warrant – and he opened fire at them
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SWAT team went to mayor’s house with a warrant – and he opened fire at them Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Meth head at 69 is unlikely. His booking photo belies some issues though.

Posts: 17294 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
OK. The MAYOR of the burg has a history of drug use, violence, OWNS GUNS, lives in a 3200 sqft waterfront house. Accused of practicing medicine without a license. Why not just call him and tell him to turn himself in? He would call his lawyer, who will tell him to turn himself in. I'll answer my own question:"What's the fun in that?"

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Take him down as he walks into City Hall?

Posts: 11034 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Why don't we hear as much about SWAT raids going after gang bangers, dope dealers, etc.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6330 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He has a history of other violations as well. My goodness fish and wildlife violation!! From Tampa Bay Times last year:

Meanwhile, Massad, 66, who won re-election unopposed in April, also is dealing with a misdemeanor citation from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission on a charge of "landing, harvesting, or possession of snook." Commercial harvest or sale of snook is prohibited in Florida between May 1 and Aug. 31.

Posts: 17294 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
I hate no knock warrants and wish we'd never use them.
If we assume the news has reported what happened accurately, then this absolutely was NOT an immediate entry search warrant (often improperly called a "no knock"). So your comments on "no knock warrants," have no relevance to this incident.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
OK. The MAYOR of the burg has a history of drug use, violence, OWNS GUNS, lives in a 3200 sqft waterfront house. Accused of practicing medicine without a license. Why not just call him and tell him to turn himself in? He would call his lawyer, who will tell him to turn himself in. I'll answer my own question:"What's the fun in that?"
First, they were supposedly serving a SEARCH warrant, not just an arrest warrant. So if you follow the 'call him up, and ask nicely plan,' he would likely destroy some, or all, of evidence they were trying to seize.

Second, if they follow the 'call him up, and ask nicely plan,' he might not cooperate. Maybe he'll run, maybe he'll kill himself, maybe he'll kill others, etc, etc.

I don't know if the cops did the right thing, as there is too little known about the incident, but wildly assuming they got wrong is also ridiculous, when again so little is known.

Regardless, since they had a SEARCH warrant, your idea would have likely resulted in the destruction of the evidence they were trying to seize.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:
Why don't we hear as much about SWAT raids going after gang bangers, dope dealers, etc.

They may shoot back a little more.

Posts: 1801 | Location: Possum Kingdom, TX | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
he had had previous encounters with the police and was known to be armed,.

Isn't that MORE reason not to send the SWAT team to his door?
I dunno about you, but I got more guns at home than anywhere else.

Posts: 21127 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
He has a history of other violations as well. My goodness fish and wildlife violation!! From Tampa Bay Times last year:

Meanwhile, Massad, 66, who won re-election unopposed in April, also is dealing with a misdemeanor citation from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission on a charge of "landing, harvesting, or possession of snook." Commercial harvest or sale of snook is prohibited in Florida between May 1 and Aug. 31.

One of the famous Snook Crooks.

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
I'm assuming that since he is mayor, he goes to city hall on a regular basis, where he may or may not carry a weapon, but isn't carrying a rifle or have access to a lot of ammo. At that point, in the parking lot, or his office, you serve him with the search warrant and/or arrest warrant.

Unless he has said something we aren't being told, I'm thinking practicing medicine without a license and a fishing violation aren't SWAT worthy. Someone breaking my door down pre-dawn would probably get me to pick up a weapon, even if they claimed to be cops by yelling.

Posts: 1506 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
The $100k question everyone needs to ask is..."Do these early morning no-knock raids create far more problems than they solve?" From my perspective, the answer is 'yes' given the number of shootings they've prompted over the years. There are other ways these types of arrests could be performed that would be far less likely to provoke an armed response. Hell, I'm a huge LE supporter, yet I might be prompted to open up with my home defense AR if someone forced their way into my home in the wee hours of the morning.

Don't get me wrong, this mayor is likely a real scumbag given his previous offences. But the police need to re-think how they're doing business so as to prevent more of these shootings.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
OK, so I'll say this, I have one BURNING question that nobody has addressed.

What the hell kind of door did he have? It defeated a battering ram and most likely breaching slugs (It said an officer "tried" to use a shotgun on the lock, but then it says they "swung the door open"). That's a door I want to look at for my own house's security.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:
OK, so I'll say this, I have one BURNING question that nobody has addressed.

What the hell kind of door did he have? It defeated a battering ram and most likely breaching slugs (It said an officer "tried" to use a shotgun on the lock, but then it says they "swung the door open"). That's a door I want to look at for my own house's security.

Most likely a Dade County approved impact door (hurricane). Here in Florida insurance is about 1/2, if all of your openings meet Dade County hurricane codes. An impact door will not come off of the hinges, even if you pull the hinge pins because the hinges have clips (in the jam area) where the door has to be in the open position in or for it to come off of the hinges. Below are the minimum impact tests the door has to meet, I have seen impact doors that FAR exceed the strength of this test.

1. The Missile Test (impact requirements)
Large Missile (structures up to 30 feet)- 2×4 missile weighing 9 pounds shot from a canon at 50 feet per second – two impacts
Small Missile (structure from 30 feet and above)- Ten 2 gram steel balls cannon test at 89 mph – three impacts

https://cgiwindows.com/helpful...uirements-approvals/

Chances are, if any one of us woke up in the middle of the night with someone shooting a shotgun at our front door, we'd all be armed as well. The fact that he surrendered after shooting 2 shots, probably means at that point he realized it was the police and not armed intruders.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
What the hell kind of door did he have?

Being on the coast of Florida, probably a quality impact rated hurricane door.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15737 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
quote:
If we assume the news has reported what happened accurately, then this absolutely was NOT an immediate entry search warrant (often improperly called a "no knock"). So your comments on "no knock warrants," have no relevance to this incident.

Meh.

WAR ON DRUGS reference- Check
NO KNOCK WARRANT reference- Check
MILITARIZATION OF THE POLICE reference- Check

Quit stepping on people's mellow. There can be no other answer except that the Cambridge Police acted stupidly. Smile

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37120 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
quote:

Meh.

WAR ON DRUGS reference- Check
NO KNOCK WARRANT reference- Check
MILITARIZATION OF THE POLICE reference- Check

Quite stepping on people's mellow. There can be no other answer except that the Cambridge Police acted stupidly. Smile

You forgot JackBootedThugs - Check

I'd add it to your quote in an attempt at humor, highlighting it of course.

But the Jr-G-man indicated that hurts his sensibilities and is 'dishonest', and I know he's mad cuz SCOTUS said he can't get any more free money. Razz

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would it not be easier to simply pick a guy like this up on his way to work? Or somewhere outside of his own home where a SWAT Team is not required? If they have a search warrant for his home - can't they search it without him there. (after he is arrested)

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
. . . I know he's mad cuz SCOTUS said he can't get any more free money. Razz
Jokes like that show how little you know, because the recent ruling on asset forfeiture had zero impact on the federal government.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
Would it not be easier to simply pick a guy like this up on his way to work? Or somewhere outside of his own home where a SWAT Team is not required? If they have a search warrant for his home - can't they search it without him there. (after he is arrested)

Yes. Then when he fires those shots in public and hits an innocent person just walking or driving in the area or he grabs a hostage, then you’ll be asking why they did not try to arrest him confined to his own residence.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25458 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post