SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    “Barracks lawyers” upset that Army Commanding General carrying M1911A1 in combat zone
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

“Barracks lawyers” upset that Army Commanding General carrying M1911A1 in combat zone Login/Join 
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted
How dare he carry something first designed and issued over 100 years ago; get with the times General! Sheesh Roll Eyes (Photos embedded in original article)

https://www.military.com/daily...Y#Echobox=1560525164

Once again, social media is fascinated with the type of weapon the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan uses.

This time, the attention is on Army Gen. Scott Miller's sidearm. On May 28, Afghan media tweeted pictures of Miller meeting with Afghan officials while holstering a .45 caliber M1911A1 pistol -- which the Army no longer issues to soldiers.

After Military Times reported that Miller is a former special operator who was likely issued the pistol years ago, some barracks lawyers took to Facebook to claim Miller should face non-judicial punishment for bringing a personally owned, unauthorized weapon to a combat zone.

One critic even claimed that Miller was "a good example of I'm above the law toxic leadership."

However, this is not a case of different spanks for different ranks.

Miller was first issued the .45 pistol in 1992, and it became his official general officer-assigned weapon in 2009, his spokesman, Army Col. David Butler, told Task & Purpose.

The general fires his weapons regularly and encourages other troops downrange to go to the firing range as well, Butler said.

This is the second time that Miller's weapon of choice has caused a stir. In November, he was photographed holding an M4 carbine while on his way to attend a meeting. This came a month after a gunman opened fire at a meeting Miller was attending, killing an Afghan police commander and wounding Army Brig. Gen. Jeffrey Smiley.

Some speculated that Miller was armed with a carbine as a result of the insider attack, but Butler said at the time that the general was simply carrying the weapon from his helicopter and he gave the M4 to another service member before meeting with Afghan officials.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
These damn lawyers got too much time on their hands,time to issue them weapons and sent to the front lines.
Maybe an 1860 Springfield 58 caliber mussel loader

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
When I was PL of PSD, we took the SCO to meetings with the afghans nearly daily. He always carried his M4 and M9 enroute, we walked there, but he always took his M9 with him into the meetings. I would ask if he wanted me in there with him. Sometimes he would and other times he’d say “nah, I’ll be fine.” I think it really came down to him not wanting to be the only American in the room surrounded by them.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
These damn lawyers got too much time on their hands,time to issue them weapons and sent to the front lines.
Maybe an 1860 Springfield 58 caliber mussel loader

Barracks Lawyers aren't real lawyers, they are usually troops who post bullshit on the internet. Used to be they started verbal bullshit but now they gots the Facebook.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
So general officers get a specific weapon assigned to them, instead of being assigned a weapon that's part of the TO&E of whatever unit they fall in?

Interesting. Did not know that.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
So general officers get a specific weapon assigned to them, instead of being assigned a weapon that's part of the TO&E of whatever unit they fall in?

Interesting. Did not know that.
Pistols, yes.

https://www.army.mil/article/6...ram_has_rich_history

http://www.nramuseum.org/guns/...fficers-pistols.aspx

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Honestly who gives a shit? He’s just doing what generals do, which is whatever the hell they want.

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Honestly, he doesn't look like someone you want to fuck with, regardless of the pistol or rifle he may be carrying.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
Honestly who gives a shit? He’s just doing what generals do, which is whatever the hell they want.
Yup...this right here. Bitchers gonna bitch... Roll Eyes

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
It used to be that General Officers were allowed to add to their uniforms and carry their sidearm of choice. Think Patton.

It may have changed after him, but General Officers still have a lot of leeway and the barracks lawyers can just STFU.

Posts: 33795 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
"Toxic Leadership" is a very distinct problem, and has literally NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING to do with what type of pistol a General carries.

Retards have wayyyy too much time on their hands if this is all they can find to complain about. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21844 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Apparently he's not too popular with the troops he commands.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
story makes no sense

says he was issued the pistol in 1992.

So how is it in 2019 - 27 years later - he still has the same gun?

the gun would have been unit property - not personal property

---------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
story makes no sense

Keep reading the next few words in the OP...

"Miller was first issued the .45 pistol in 1992, and it became his official general officer-assigned weapon in 2009"

If you'll then check out the link provided by RHINOWSO, it's explained that Generals are able to request issue of a pistol from the General Officer Management Office, which is then issued to them by the Anniston Army Depot and becomes their individually issued pistol (not unit property) for the remainder of their career, plus they have the option of purchasing it when they retire.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not that it matters, but the one crappy pic I could find kind of looks like a Springfield Armory hammer with the enlarged loop they use. Curious what it is now.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
People should be happy that THIS general is carrying a weapon and is able to defend himself and others when needed. It should not matter what he is carrying, but that HE IS carrying. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Patton would have driven them nuts....

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
story makes no sense

Keep reading the next few words in the OP...

"Miller was first issued the .45 pistol in 1992, and it became his official general officer-assigned weapon in 2009"

If you'll then check out the link provided by RHINOWSO, it's explained that Generals are able to request issue of a pistol from the General Officer Management Office, which is then issued to them by the Anniston Army Depot and becomes their individually issued pistol (not unit property) for the remainder of their career, plus they have the option of purchasing it when they retire.

No I read / know all that. Still doesnt make sense - as written.

They are inferring the exact serial numbered gun he was issued in 1992 - 27 years ago - is the same one he was 'granted' as a GO in 2009. Use of the words 'THE .45 pistol' ' is specific... Using words 'A .45 pistol' would be non-specific...

I am aware of the fact GO's can have their own private pistol. And that makes sense for a lot of reasons.

And I think it's outstanding he selected a .45 as opposed to a 'ceremonial' model / caliber.

But I'm saying the article makes no sense because a lot of the years they reference he was NOT a GO.

It's just a poorly written article.

-------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
The internet is open to almost anyone and almost anywhere. I've always wondered how many extremists/ANTIFA are posting just to stir the pot.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Apparently he's not too popular with the troops he commands.

The way government works. You can misappropriate millions of dollars. If everyone loves you, nothing happens. If everyone hates you, termination for coming to work half hour late.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post