SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Lockheed Martin's fusion reactor?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lockheed Martin's fusion reactor? Login/Join 
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
Ok, I read the article (can't say I understood it all), and I couldn't find anything that answered the major (IMO) concern with these: Can these be modified into weapons such as fusion bombs?

Currently, fusion bombs require an atomic fission bomb to create the intense heat and pressures to create a fusion reaction (in a hydrogen bomb, for example, a 20-40KT first stage atomic bomb would provide the 'kick' to drive the fusion reaction, that could yield multiple Megatons of destructive power). They have been trying to figure out how to make fusion bombs without the first stage atomic device for years, but (as far as I've read) haven't succeeded yet.

Could this sucker be used to make a quick and cheap fusion bomb? I'm assuming not, as they are intending these things for commercial use (from the sounds of it). I was just wondering if any physics dudes would have a dumbed-down explanation that I could understand. . .

It's a potential game-changer, though. It could be our big chance to negate a lot of the trouble that the Middle East has been causing us for the past 50 years. . .

It's easier to make a fusion bomb; just get it to supercriticality and it explodes.

A working fusion reactor would require changing the fusion level up or down depending on power requirements and maintaining that level. That's a lot more complicated.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
The problem with a fusion reactor has always been getting the hydrogen/helium/lithium plasma to a high enough temperature long enough for fusion to take place so you can extract enough thermal energy to get a net positive power output. A fusion bomb (aka "Hydrogen bomb") needs the energy from a fission (aka "Atomic bomb") to do this. Short of knowing the math behind the design, I'd say it would be highly unlikely, bordering on impossible to make one of these reactors into a thermonuclear bomb. That's not saying it couldn't be made to overload and explode like conventional high explosives.

I truly hope this works as advertised. It has been the holy grail of nuclear science for over 60 years.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I surely hope they can figure it out...I own quite a few shares of LM stock, and it's been quite good to me! LMT was at ~$91 on 1/3/2013 and closed at $338 yesterday, plus they have a good dividend yield!

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:

It's easier to make a fusion bomb; just get it to supercriticality and it explodes.

A supercritical mass detonation from U235 or Plutonium (P239?) is a fission reaction (Little Boy and Fat Man). Fusion is the second stage of a thermonuclear reaction (the heat triggers fusion; hence the 'thermo' part).

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21846 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:

A supercritical mass detonation from U235 or Plutonium (P239?) is a fission reaction (Little Boy and Fat Man). Fusion is the second stage of a thermonuclear reaction (the heat triggers fusion; hence the 'thermo' part).

Yes, I figured you knew that part already - the power from the fission explosion is what is used to cram the fusion components together to start the fusion process. The difficult part once you get to the fusion process is maintaining and controlling the level. "Thermonuclear" just means any
nuclear reaction (be it fission or fusion) that occurs at very high temperatures. It doesn't just mean fusion.

ETA: I see where you are correcting me. I was using the term supercriticality for the state when when two nuclei are fused together whereas the term is used for fissioning. I don't have an equivalent term for fusion except maybe fusion.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post