SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Lockheed Martin's fusion reactor?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lockheed Martin's fusion reactor? Login/Join 
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted
If this became reality it would be epic gamechanger!

Lockheed Martin has quietly obtained a patent associated with its design for a potentially revolutionary compact fusion reactor, or CFR. If this project has been progressing on schedule, the company could debut a prototype system that size of shipping container, but capable of powering a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier or 80,000 homes, sometime in the next year or so.

Link to full article.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1906 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I heard about this a couple of years ago, but considered it a bit pie in the sky. If it works its a HUUUUUGGGGEEEE game changer.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
It is certainly cool, but is it cold?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
It is certainly cool, but is it cold?

And will it fit in a DeLorean?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31436 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
If it is truly a working fusion reactor, one of the biggest game changers will be no radiation or radioactive waste. Everything else is gravy.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15573 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
It would truly destroy mankind. Can you imagine the whole world prosperous, modernized and industrial. Oh don't get me wrong, it'll be good for a while...

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
It would be a rough start. The world fossil fuel economy would collapse. Wars would begin.

Same as usual, but worse for a bit.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
They have committed massive R&D dollars and will look first to recoup and turn a profit on those dollars. Nothing will change overnight and they won't be a cheap alternative to fossil fuel for a very long time. Think along the lines of the big pharma model. People still die all over the world from diseases that we handle easily here with expensive drugs.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
But can they squeeze it into a back back and let it fuel my energy beam Gatling gun?! Big Grin

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8849 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
does it have a magnetic field when running strong enough to trap a T-X Terminator so you can get to the chopper?

Posts: 23438 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
LV-426. Just sayin'...

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Our goals for work are due in a few days. I am currently working on mine. I work in IT, so I have stuff like, further my Python programming skills, close tickets in a timely manner, move soms Production apps to the Cloud, etc...

I can only imagine a goal...Get fusion reactor operational!

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I hear Musk has an operational Arc Reactor coming out soon...

Posts: 23438 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
It’s applications are quantum. If only we could solve the puzzle of clean, cold fusion...

Posts: 13811 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Ok, I read the article (can't say I understood it all), and I couldn't find anything that answered the major (IMO) concern with these: Can these be modified into weapons such as fusion bombs?

Currently, fusion bombs require an atomic fission bomb to create the intense heat and pressures to create a fusion reaction (in a hydrogen bomb, for example, a 20-40KT first stage atomic bomb would provide the 'kick' to drive the fusion reaction, that could yield multiple Megatons of destructive power). They have been trying to figure out how to make fusion bombs without the first stage atomic device for years, but (as far as I've read) haven't succeeded yet.

Could this sucker be used to make a quick and cheap fusion bomb? I'm assuming not, as they are intending these things for commercial use (from the sounds of it). I was just wondering if any physics dudes would have a dumbed-down explanation that I could understand. . .

It's a potential game-changer, though. It could be our big chance to negate a lot of the trouble that the Middle East has been causing us for the past 50 years. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Awesome.

Getting closer to heaven:

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9154 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I want one.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Electricity will be too cheap to meter.

https://public-blog.nrc-gatewa...story-of-the-phrase/

Posts: 12679 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
If my memory serves me, we went from the Manhattan Project to dropping the first atomic bomb in about 5 years. That was fission.

We’ve been working on fusion for decades and the last I read, we could make a reaction last a minute.

I think we’re a long ways away.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
Our goals for work are due in a few days. I am currently working on mine. I work in IT, so I have stuff like, further my Python programming skills, close tickets in a timely manner, move soms Production apps to the Cloud, etc...

I can only imagine a goal...Get fusion reactor operational!

I can relate. That IS totally awesome to have in your goals.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post