SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Convention of the states
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Convention of the states Login/Join 
posted
If a convention of the states can be truly accomplished, what items should be included? Personally, I would be in favor of term limits for all congressmen and a balanced budget amendment. What would you like to see on the docket?

He Is No Fool Who Gives What He Cannot Keep,
To Gain That Which He Cannot Lose!

Posts: 593 | Location: central nebraska | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
According to Article V, a Convention of the States can be called to propose Amendments to the the Constitution, but there doesn’t appear to be any restrictions upon what those Amendments can be (the “slavery clauses” are no longer applicable, and no State would logically and voluntarily give up its votes in the Senate). In other words, any and all of the Constitution is open for change.

Just remember that the Constitutional Convention in 1787 started out as amending the Articles of Confederation, the then form of a national government for the United States that had existed from the Revolution. Although the States' representatives to the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia were only authorized to amend the Articles, the representatives held secret, closed-door sessions and wrote and designed an entirely new version of a government.

There is a story, often told, that upon exiting the Constitutional Convention Benjamin Franklin was approached by a group of citizens asking what sort of government the delegates had created. His answer was: "A republic, if you can keep it.”

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just remember that the Constitutional Convention in 1787 started out as amending the Articles of Confederation, the then form of a national government for the United States that had existed from the Revolution. Although the States' representatives to the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia were only authorized to amend the Articles, the representatives held secret, closed-door sessions and wrote and designed an entirely new version of a government.

It's true....
You never know what people will talk about when they get together and start talking!

Still, I'm in favor of an Article V Convention of the States.
At this point, we need to shake things up and make some changes.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24108 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
First item: clarification of the 14th Amendment and the basic Constitution about the definition of "natural born" as regards eligibility to be President (and VP).

Second item: clarification of the 14th Amendment to confirm that children born in the country to non-citizens ("Anchor babies") are not automatically conferred US citizenship. I believe citizenship should be extended via parental relationship, not place of birth. There was a time when the country needed to expand its number of citizens and this was one way to achieve it. IMO, that necessity no longer exists.

Third item: declaration that the 2A means what it says ("shall not be infringed") and that its protections extend to all governments (state, local, etc.). "Keep and bear" perhaps also need additional clarification, specifically regarding carry outside the home.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by prairiefire:
If a convention of the states can be truly accomplished, what items should be included? Personally, I would be in favor of term limits for all congressmen and a balanced budget amendment. What would you like to see on the docket?

Get those two done, the rest falls in line!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Repeal the 16th and 17th Amendments.

That'll do for now.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post
In the past, I’ve always been a proponent of term limits.

Lately I’ve been rethinking what this would actually accomplish. I think it would give more power to the Democrat and Republican parties than ever before as the party will become more important than the actual representatives.

This is not a good thing.

Instead, clearer and more enforced limits on the power of the federal government to pass laws that interfere with individual freedom, states rights, and authority to tax and spend would likely have more impact.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Mulling this over from time to time, my current concern is whether I actually can trust them bastards to actually make National improvements the focus and goal, rather than partisan advantages.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
Mulling this over from time to time, my current concern is whether I actually can trust them bastards to actually make National improvements the focus and goal, rather than partisan advantages.
My conclusion has always been "No, you can't!" That's why I've never really supported having such a convention.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
My conclusion has always been "No, you can't!" That's why I've never really supported having such a convention.

flashguy

The Constitution isn’t being followed or enforced now, why would that change just because a “convention” were held. We need patriots with conviction to enforce what we have today. There is nothing wrong with the U.S. Constitution and the Bill of Rights, we just have to quit screwing around and actually follow them and we’d be all right.

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
I hope we NEVER hold one. Once it starts, as was said earlier there are no limits as to what can be done. And as we've seen, the left is fully comfortable with weaponizing the entirety of the US gummint to oppose their own citizens wanting to protect their own liberties. They would blackmail every opponent who stood against giving us a 'constitution' like the Soviets had. We'd end up with something the likes of which even Pistachio Ocommunist Cortez Macarena hey Macarena hasn't even dreamed up.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post