SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Florida Wild Fires
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Florida Wild Fires Login/Join 
posted
A close friend has his winter home in Naples.

News stories said fires were burning all over the state, including near Naples, so I tried to call him with no luck. Trading e-mails, it turns out there's one fire within 2 miles of his home that so-far has burned 5,200 acres and several homes. He said 6,000 residents are under mandatory evacuation orders, but I guess he's not covered by that as of now.

Since the fires stretch pretty-much straight north from his location, I'm not sure how he'd get out if he had to, though no-doubt he'll find a way. He doesn't have a boat there, so no water escape.

I've known this guy for nearly 50 years, was Best Man at his wedding and he was Best Man at mine, so it really sucks to be over a thousand miles away and unable to help.

I hope the Florida contingent of SigForum is holding out. Looks like a lot of fires.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9143 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Yea sucks. Sorry to hear anyone going through this type of thing. Got to be the most helpless feeling.

Wish I could send him some of our rain... over 5 inches in the last 24 hrs. Looks like at least some chance they will get some.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live north of your friend, there are several fires that have destroyed home throughout the area, over the past few days. Prayers for your friend and all those involved; we have rain here for the first time in a LONG time, hopefully it is helping.

Posts: 713 | Location: SW. Florida, USA | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I'm in Naples. My place is not in the danger zone, but I can smell the fires every morning when I walk the dogs. I also get the occasional bit of ash in my yard. I have several friends who are under voluntary evacuations - so it's definitely no joke.

Had some good rain yesterday and looks like we'll get some more today. We're heading into rainy season where it will soon be raining every day - so now it's a race against time.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
Looks like some good rain for you guys down there. We could use some of that in Central FL. Hope everybody is safe.

Posts: 1315 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
It's coming down in the bucket loads here along the SE coast!

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
It's coming down in the bucket loads here along the SE coast!

Yup pouring in Pompano Beach. It's been a few months since we got any decent rain. Unfortunately it cancelled my boat trip with 7 hotties to Boca Bash today.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
This past Tuesday I was visiting customers in the Space Coast area.

The 528 Toll Road (BeeLine, or BeachLine, or whatever new name they've picked for it this week) was closed to traffic, west of Titusville, due to smoke.

Had to take a bunch of detours.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30643 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My friend reports that he, his wife, and their home are all OK as of this morning, no word since then. Some pics he sent weren't as bad as I feared they would be, I'm pleased to add. He hasn't yet responded to another e-mail I sent about 1pm eastern time.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9143 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain OP. One of my best friends has his main home in Naples. He has another home here and he and his wife are here now. He was telling us about the fires last night when we had a get together at his house here. He does not seem too worried. He also has his personal airplane there too. I would think if he was really worried, he would at least return and fly his plane here to keep it safe.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post