SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Optima Batteries
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Optima Batteries Login/Join 
posted
Are the red & yellow top Optimas worth the near double price of a normal battery for a daily use battery. I can understand for heavy use, track day, etc.
Looking for a battery for a truck that doesn't get driven much, possibly to be relocated to the inside of the bed as well.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Short answer, yes.

Have them in both of my cars. Never had an issue with heat or battery sapping cold temps. My jeep that I do not drive on a regular basis I wood go through batteries like skittles. My fault for not having my trickle charger on it, but damn it. They should should last longer than that and be able to be at least jump started.

Put an optima on it like I have on my F150 and no problems since. You do get what you pay for in this instance.

Eta: Put the Optima on my jeep 3 and half years ago. Truck right after I bought it in 5 years ago. So my experience is good.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1110 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Optima quality has gone done in the last 5 or so years. Look at Odessey or Sears platinum....same thing, 1100cca.

But honestly, just unhook the battery when not in use, it may work for your needs. My Odessey was $300+, but I use alit of accessories and am planning to put a winch in.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
Optima quality has gone done in the last 5 or so years. Look at Odessey or Sears platinum....same thing, 1100cca.

But honestly, just unhook the battery when not in use, it may work for your needs. My Odessey was $300+, but I use alit of accessories and am planning to put a winch in.

THIS. Optima's these days are not great batteries. Odysseys and AGM lifeline are both very good......sears AGM too but I think they discontinued them.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
In a marine application they are pretty awesome. My buddy has three blue top batteries in his bass boat for his trolling motor. They were purchased in 2010 and are still running strong. Pretty awesome.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
I went with a Bosch AGM battery for my truck and that thing is amazing. I've left things on by mistake for a long time and the truck has never failed to start.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig77:
In a marine application they are pretty awesome. My buddy has three blue top batteries in his bass boat for his trolling motor. They were purchased in 2010 and are still running strong. Pretty awesome.

Uhhhh Yeah, that's longer than 5 years ago when they gained that "made in mexico" stamp on the case.

I changed out a set of 3 year old blue top optima's from a 25' Grady White that were totally shot.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by sig77:

Uhhhh Yeah, that's longer than 5 years ago when they gained that "made in mexico" stamp on the case.

I changed out a set of 3 year old blue top optima's from a 25' Grady White that were totally shot.

Not sure what to tell you. I want my buddy to replace them, but they continue to perform. It is impressive.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
DEKA/East Penn Manufacturing makes the Intimidator AGM line - very reliable:

http://www.remybattery.com/bat...dator-batteries.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2xTFTgRfWs

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4570 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
I had an Optima that failed and left me stranded when it was only a year old. I have had Odyssey batteries in my skid loader and motorcycle, which get infrequent use, and they haven't failed after four years. I believe Odyssey batteries are designed to have a ten year shelf life. I think they also have more lead in them because they are significantly heavier. The price reflects that as they are expensive.

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I heard the same quality stories about Optima when I need two new batteries for my F250 diesel last year. I ended up buying the Advance Auto Parts AGm batteries, I bought them online (to pick up in store) at 20% off with one of their sales and at the time they gave a $50 gift card after buying. So far I have been pleased but it has only been 8 months or so. I buy a lot of my auto parts from Advanced sine they normally run 20% off sales and sometimes give you $20 in their "Speed Perks" after purchase. You can order online and the order is ready when you go to their local store. I used to use the 20% online deals with synthetic oil but the stopped allowing the purchase online of their oil that I use.

Posts: 4098 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't touch a current Optima with a ten foot pole. Definitely living off of their past reputation.

Lots of other AGM batteries out there to choose from.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
NO NO NO AND NO!! Did I mention NO?
Had a red top in my 96 Mustang when it was a second car. It was constantly dead only good thing about them is their no questions asked warranty. I think I had 4 replacements in the 3 year warranty period. As soon as the warranty was expired I put a Motorcraft back in it and started every time until I sold it years later.

I just bought a NAPA Legend AGM battery for my Sienna. I have had nothing but a great experience with all other NAPA parts so I am hoping that continues.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25403 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
First one I had lasted 7 or 8 years. The replacement made it to three. I wouldn't buy another one.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a stinking shame it is when a good company with a good product decides that short term profit beats long term viability. How many decades of future purchases did they lose to get a few years of cheap labor in Mexico? Idiots!!

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
20yrs ago, sure.

Not today.

I'd go with an Odyssey AGM.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also be aware the AGM batteries are designed to be charged to a higher voltage than a lead acid flooded cell. Some folks have had starting problems due to undercharging. Unless your car had one in originally I would not install one. I had a Moto Guzzi motorcycle that had AGM as original equipment and had to buy a specific charger for over the winter maintenance. That charger was also not compatible with normal batteries.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2885 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have an agm type in my atv. Its a no name off eBay that will still kick the motor over after setting for 2 years in my garage. Guess I will look further then. Will check out the Napa and auto zone options. I run Interstate in everything currently, I just don't have easy way to trickle charge as vehicles all reside outside, street parking.

For info, looking to install in a 4cyl s10. I believe stock replacement is in the 450 CCA range. I think I could almost start it with a rope around the crank pulley (not really, but u get what I mean).

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
AGM batteries are worth the extra money but there are many these days that are better quality than Optima. They're also a touch cheaper as well.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
Are the red & yellow top Optimas worth the near double price of a normal battery for a daily use battery.
In a word, 'No'. As already noted, when Optima moved manufacturing outside the US, quality went down substantially. Also, their warranty sucks compared to pretty much everyone else.

I had a red top at one point, but never again. Give me a Walmart Everstart battery with their warranty for my daily driver truck and I'm good to go. And if it does fail in the first 36 months, Walmart will replace it for free (I know this for fact).

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post