SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Identity Theft Protection
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Identity Theft Protection Login/Join 
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted
A professional organization that my wife is required to belong to got hacked. They got all her info including her SS#. It's almost a monthly occurrence that someone tries to open a credit card in her name. We also get our credit card numbers stolen at least once per year, also related to her getting hacked. Its never cost me a penny yet, banks are getting good at identifying and stopping it. I am thinking it might be a good idea to get some identity theft protection, just in case. I had allclear for 2 years, got it for free when my insurance company got hacked. Didn't like them a bit, absolutely no help ever. Anyone have a company they really like or dislike?

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Credit freeze.
It's easy, free, you can unfreeze anytime you need to open a new account.
The other stuff is a lot of fluff and they charge you lots of money, year after year after year.
You can do it better yourself.
And did mention it's free?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 220-9er,

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
If your wife hasn't already I suggest she signs up for Social Security. Just make an account don't have to do anything besides creating an account. A good buddy who is former Army had his info hacked with the large OPM hack. Someone created an SS account under his name/info and started collecting disability. This went on for awhile before he even found out. Then it took him a long time, money and lawyer to get it squared away.

He was told if he had an account, even though he is nowhere near retirement, it would have made it very difficult for someone else to set one up and collect disability.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I use protectmyid. My employer had a "data breach" and all of its US employees data was taken . My employer stepped up to the plate and purchased coverage from protectmyid for 5 years for all its US based employees. They will re-evaluate at year 4 if they will continue coverage.

I had someone attempt to open a credit card in my name and protectmyid was very helpful taking care of it. They notified the credit bureaus and had everything cancelled and removed. All I had to do was sign a few forms and that was it. My credit score never took a hit and they had fraud alerts placed on my accounts.

Hopefully my company will continue paying for it after year 5 but if they don't I'll pony up for it.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4521 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
If your wife hasn't already I suggest she signs up for Social Security. Just make an account don't have to do anything besides creating an account. A good buddy who is former Army had his info hacked with the large OPM hack. Someone created an SS account under his name/info and started collecting disability. This went on for awhile before he even found out. Then it took him a long time, money and lawyer to get it squared away.

He was told if he had an account, even though he is nowhere near retirement, it would have made it very difficult for someone else to set one up and collect disability.

This is good advice too but you have to unfreeze your credit to set up a SS account (I just set mine up last week) so a credit freeze would prevent that too.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
We’ve been ‘frozen’ for years, stops much of this at square one.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
I had this happen a few years back...is this freeze the same as a "fraud flag" not he account?

JB

quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Credit freeze.
The other stuff is a lot of fluff and they charge you lots of money, year after year after year.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
We’ve been ‘frozen’ for years, stops much of this at square one.

Same here, I've been frozen for about 15 years. While it does not stop all sorts of credit fraud, particularly bogus credit card charges, it absolutely prevents anyone from obtaining any form of new credit in your name, plus other things like opening a bank account. I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I've had to lift a freeze during that 15 years. Registering for an online SS account was one example, mentioned above by 220-9er, but they at least tell you which credit agency they are using, so you only lift on that one (unfortunately Equifax, at least when I did it). Some other places will also do the same, but most do not. Still, you can lift for one entity only, for anyone, or for a period of time, or forever (cancel the freeze outright). These days they have streamlined the process of lifting a freeze. Years ago you had to do it by sending a letter. Now you can do it online, do your business, and be quickly refrozen. It's free in some states; others have a small fee (like $5).

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
Yep - credit freeze with all 3 agencies. I've had a freeze for years as well. It's easy to lift when needed, can be done online, takes about 15 minutes or less for the freeze to be lifted, and you can have it automatically reinstated the next day or just go back in and freeze it immediately online. Easy, safe, and pretty effective too as already stated.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6723 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:
I had this happen a few years back...is this freeze the same as a "fraud flag" not he account?

JB

quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Credit freeze.

No, a fraud alert will put a notice on the three agencies for creditors to see that you have had a problem and notify you before anyone can open a new account. They only last for three months and need to be repeated. As I understand it, that's what these pay sites do for you and they repeat it as long as you are paying. They appear to me to be mostly a highly profitable marketing operation (nothing illegal, unethical or wrong with that).

A freeze will not allow anyone else to access your file or open new accounts of any sort. You put it on and no maintenance is required. The exceptions are; already existing creditors can do the occasional monitoring of your credit as they do without a freeze. They can't open new accounts without you "unfreezing" which you can do yourself with a code they give you at signup.

posted Hide Post
Just a comment on your credit card getting hacked.

Many cards today are "scanned" while still in your wallet and purse. Somebody only has to be within a few feet to do it.

If you carry credit cards in public places, get an RFID Blocker.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
We used to have identity theft protection. But, ironically enough, I'd always felt their security measures lacking. Then, when an associated service dropped the ball, I just let them both lapse. In researching I.D. theft services, afterwards, I found the service we'd had didn't rate very highly.

So I've been thinking of hooking up with another, but haven't been able to decide which one. Currently I'm thinking either IdentityForce, because they consistently review as one of the best, if not the best, or CompleteID through Costco, which is much more affordable and still reviews well.

In the meantime, I've frozen our...

• Credit reporting at all three major reporting agencies
  • Bank account reporting at ChexSystems
  • Telecom (phones, cable, broadband) services reporting at NCTUE

As to why the measures: My personal info has been stolen multiple times, from just about everybody who's been breached.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
Just a comment on your credit card getting hacked.

Many cards today are "scanned" while still in your wallet and purse. Somebody only has to be within a few feet to do it.

If you carry credit cards in public places, get an RFID Blocker.

Note RFID blockers are easy to make. For a typical wallet, cut a piece of a manilla folder or similarly thick paper to be a bit larger than a dollar bill so it slips into the outside pocket where money and checks usually go. Once you have it cut to size, cover that piece with aluminum foil on one side, then cover the whole thing with packing tape so the foil stays in place and isn't torn. Please this in the outside area of your wallet. When the wallet is folded in a pocket, any cards inside are shielded from RFID.

Posts: 2361 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post