SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Going to be in Cancun for two weeks any tips?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Going to be in Cancun for two weeks any tips? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
My wife and I have an opportunity to go to Cancun for two weeks...any tips?

Find a different travel agent/agency than the one that recommended that to you.

The one that did...not your friend.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I live close enough to the mexican border to give me a daily dose of their citizens' third-world ways. People who think the floor of the bathroom is the proper disposal site for their used toilet paper get none of my tourist dollars.

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fwiw, just thought of this.

I hear that North Korea is planning to build a whimsical tourist resort where they have tested ballistic missiles. If you could wait a couple of months until it's open for business...

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
We have not been in several years.

That said, I would take stacks of singles an five dollar bills. Also, buy all meds you think you may need and take them with you, ie... Tylenol, aspirin, advil, immodium,. pepto, etc..... It is all available there, but was significantly more expensive the last time we were there. The sandwich bag full of meds we took with us, would have cost a couple of hundred dollars to duplicate there.

We just returned from Punta Cana and I am not sure if they do the same things in Cancun now, but all of the ice is made with purified water, all of the fruit and veggies are rinsed with purified water. We ate everything at the resort and had no problems at all.

There are signs and everyone tells you to not brush your teeth with tap water and do not let water get in your mouth while in the shower.

Go and have a good time, just remain very, very aware of your surroundings.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:
Go across the channel to Cozumel...and stay there.

Agree Cozumel is awesome. Great little island.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Wow, has me thinking now. An elderly couple we take care of stays at a time share resort they are going down there with their son and wife for the first two weeks, they have someone coming down there for the third week and have asked us to help them the last two weeks, then fly back with them. They have been doing this every year for some time. He is battling cancer and the doctors gave him a two week extension from chemo so he can spend the 5 weeks. They have some native friends down there.

Now this has me rethinking weather we should go down there.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4829 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lcbjr77
posted Hide Post
Went there about 10 years ago for a destination wedding, resort was nice and clean, had great food.The local shopping area just outside the resort was nice as well. If you stray out farther than that be careful, like some other members said there are some shady characters that will take advantage of you.

----------------------------------
Walther PPS M2

Posts: 1863 | Location: CT | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been there and would not use the word "opportunity". There are far better places right here in the good ole USA that I would go to before I would even think of Cancun.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
You guys are a bunch of pussies. I’ve been to Cancun several times. It’s fucking fine. I have traveled through some 3rd world shitholes that truly make Cancun look like Paris. Are you staying at a resort? If so and you are worried don’t leave the resort. Ice that has a hole through it is made with filtered water and generally ok to drink. If you are staying at a ritzier resort salad and fruit is fine to eat. They have some amazing local exotic fruits. I would eat it everyday when I was there last in 2016. These places make their money by offering a good time not poisoning you. If you do make it out of the resort and head to Downtown Cancun to the shops during the day just be aware of your surrounding and keep your wallet and phone I’m areas not easily reache my pick pockets. I would leave the resort every morning to run on the strip. No-one batted an eye. The place is 100% supported by tourists so seeing a bunch of gringos around isn’t exactly out of place. The police also know where their bread is buttered and don’t really fuck with you. I have also known friends who have done the whole timeshare thing in condos with no issues.

If you can make it to the Mayan ruins in Tulum it’s pretty cool. Enjoy

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let's be clear, Ozarkwoods. Chances are that you will have a lovely time there. There is the chance, also, that it might not be a lovely experience. http://www.chicagotribune.com/...-20171030-story.html Unfortunately, bad things happen in spurts and if you are caught up in one of those spurts, there's little consolation remaining for you.

We all take chances. Every day. Thing is, some places are more welcoming than others. And if given a choice, most would prefer comfort over anguish.

And right now, Cancun is a shot in the dark. Let me put it this way. When it is not a preferred destination by college students that tells you something.

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ I guarantee you that the “wave of violence” is probably worse in Chicago when Cancun lol.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is the thing, Dusty78.

When Chicago blurts that as news, that tells you something. Or should.

When the drug gangs quiet down their turf wars, I'm certain they will publish it also.

posted Hide Post
The cenote diving is spectacular

Posts: 767 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I've been to Cancun probably 15 times. Cancun has it's own water purification system, the water is fine. Fresh fruit and veggies are also fine.

You can take the bus for about 6-8 pesos. Well worth it. The only thing I don't like about Cancun is it is very Americanized. Back in the mid 90's you could find many mom & pop places to eat owned by locals. It's mostly big chains now...At least in the hotel district. Most people don't go to downtown Cancun...near the Wal Mart. I've been there at night, but daytime is definitely better.

The cops keep Cancun very safe. They do not want anything to happen to discourage tourism. I've never felt unsafe anywhere in Cancun. You'll see the cops driving around with their lights on...that's normal.

Have fun. We were in Playa del Carmen in November (about 40 minutes away from Cancun) Both areas are great.

The 19ish : 1 exchange rate is great as well!

My email is in my profile. Email me with any questions you have or we could also do a phone call. I would not hesitate to go to Cancun this time of year. There are only a few places in Mexico I would ever consider going, and Cancun is one of them.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I've been to that area of Mexico a few time but a little further south. We would stay in Akumal and spend most of our time there and Tulum. Smaller cities then Cancun and more laid back. Mostly diving with a mix of ocean and cenotes.

Always enjoyed the area. We got to know many of the places in Akumal and knew drinking the water and ice in the places we went was safe. With that said unless you know for sure where it comes from use bottled water and stay away from ice you don't know where it came from.

We stayed in a house and would hit the grocery store in Tulum first day for water, food and beer.

I've been to the Mayan Ruins in Tulum and Coba. Both where fun to visit. We did a tour at Coba and learned some interesting facts. Tulum ones are smaller but right on the water which gives some amazing views. Both will be a ride from Cancun so I would look for a sight closer to you.

We always had a car so we would hope in and drive wherever we wanted to go. Use common since and you should be fine.

Food has always been amazing in Mexico and I never had an issue with it being safe. Again use common since.

No specified recommendations for Cancun as I spent very little time in that city itself.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jack32586
posted Hide Post
We own a place in Cancun. We love and go every year, sometimes twice a year.

Try Lorenzillo's restaurant. World class dining, and you get to watch the alligators swim around while you eat. Depending on when you go, it can be very tourist heavy in the resort/club area. My wife and I have actually played- try to spot a Mexican thats not working. Its not very culturally diverse unless you count Canadians. La Isla is a nice mall.

Posts: 206 | Location: S/W Florida | Registered: October 10, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
Well, you can listen to all the doomsayers, or you can go and have a great time.

I second the mention of visiting Tulum, I really liked it.

Also, if you have a chance I would recommend spending a day at the Xcaret Ecological Park. It is well worth it. Especially floating through the underground river.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
You are gonna have a great time! If you stay at any reasonable resort or hotel the water will be purified, the fruit will be rinsed with that purified water, so do not worry about that. Anywhere offsite drink bottled water (or bring it from the hotel), don’t eat the ice cream from street vendors, otherwise relax&enjoy the fun - we go to Cozumel every year and never have any trouble.
Remember, Cozumel and Cancun are tourist destinations. The locals know and understand that. They are not going to jeopardize their livelihood. That being said, stay in the touristy areas. Just common sense. Post pics when you return!

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5308 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
We liked the Hard Rock and Senior Frogs. The trips to Cozumel, Tulum and Coba were a lot of fun.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Went to Tulum on a cruise in 2009--ate and drank on the ship. Pictures of the ruins here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/...s/72157622894240716/

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post