SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Going to be in Cancun for two weeks any tips?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Going to be in Cancun for two weeks any tips? Login/Join 
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted
My wife and I have an opportunity to go to Cancun for two weeks do you have any suggestions on places to visit, restrauants, best beaches.

Places to stay away from?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Don’t drink the water, don’t brush your teeth with it, don’t drink anything with ice in it. Love Mexico, but don’t drink the water.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
Go across the channel to Cozumel...and stay there.

Posts: 2935 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig77:
Don’t drink the water, don’t brush your teeth with it, don’t drink anything with ice in it. Love Mexico, but don’t drink the water.

Eat cooked food. Do not eat a salad or fresh vegetables/fruits.

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2673 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Don't buy ceviche from a beach vendor.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you go to walmart make sure you get off the bus before its final stop, maby chongosuerte will stop by and tell that storie...

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
Damn sounds like it's better to stay home

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjp:
If you go to walmart make sure you get off the bus before its final stop, maby chongosuerte will stop by and tell that storie...

At midnight, in Cancun shanty-town. Truly the end of the line!

Try getting a cab to stop in shanty-town looking like a fresh-off-the-boat Gringo, as you hike back to the hotel district, trying not to get robbed Frown

It's a long and funny story. That ends with a return trip, at 2am, getting equally as lost, and winding up in a Mexican gay bar.

All just to try to find a GD phone charger, for a cell-phone that magically decided to work in Me-he-co, so I could text with my now ex-wife (then girlfriend) as she and all my buddies partied in my (mom's) house.

That should have been a sign...

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
that funny right there.
about 2 weeks after 9/11 we flew there. stayed in my MIL timeshare. so we take the bus to Wal Mart. thankfully a very nice man told us what stop to get off at. He also warned us we did not want to go any further down the line than the walmart stop. we bought some groceries, each carrying 2 bags of food for the week and the the bus driver coming back dropped off right in front of our timeshare resort even though there was no bus stop there. other wise it was pretty nice. beaches not so much.

definitely check out Chitzen Itza and Xcaret water park.

Posts: 4765 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
That very nice man knew his shit.

I’ve been in some bad spots. Bad-breath distance from real bad guys, wrestling over guns. Even Caught a serial killer the size of John Coffey on the prowl all alone one night. Bad spots.

That moonlit hike in the Cancun hood was probably the most F’d I ever thought I’d gotten myself, before or since.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
I picked up both Cryptospiridium and Salmonella while in Cabo San Lucas in 2013. Lab confirmed, once I got home.

I was shitting for 3 weeks straight.

My tip would be to not get either of those Big Grin.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig77:

AND... don't eat any salads. If you eat any salad, you might as well drink the water that they used to rinse the salad items with.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19662 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Don't buy "genuine Cohibas" from a beach vendor.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
It can get hot there. Be sure to stay hydrated. Doing a lot of water.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30668 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by charlie12:
Damn sounds like it's better to stay home

I'd agree.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Stay in the resort and DRINK BOTTED WATER.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never been there, so maybe someone can fill me in. What is the benefit of Mexico that justifies going to a third world country where you are far more likely to get sick, be subject to criminal activity, etc vs Florida, South Texas, California?

Cheaper? Sun THAT much brighter??

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
https://travel.state.gov/conte...travel-advisory.html

I cannot put my finger on it but something in this article would tell me to avoid Mexico at all costs.
Quintana Roo State would apply here.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1852 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
I've never been there, so maybe someone can fill me in. What is the benefit of Mexico that justifies going to a third world country where you are far more likely to get sick, be subject to criminal activity, etc vs Florida, South Texas, California?
Yup. South Florida (Miami area) might still be subject to criminal activity, but you're not as likely to get the runs from drinking water or eating fresh food, and depending on where you got your permit, you might be able to carry protection legally.

You can probably trust the police there, too.

You still might have to speak Spanish, though.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30668 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
Dont go? Stop by for a cruise alone? Carry everywhere. Oh, did I mention not going?

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post