SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Generator transfer switch
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Generator transfer switch Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Thanks skins. The bulldog is in perfect looking condition, from what I can tell with my untrained eye.
My thought is this is the ideal place to do a transfer switch set up since it is right by the back door and i could run a cable from the generator right to the switch. I could have the switch feed my main panel and turn off whatever circuits i don't need.

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScorpionBoy:
Thanks skins. The bulldog is in perfect looking condition, from what I can tell with my untrained eye.
My thought is this is the ideal place to do a transfer switch set up since it is right by the back door and i could run a cable from the generator right to the switch. I could have the switch feed my main panel and turn off whatever circuits i don't need.

I left of it needs to be fused as well. Also that install requires permit and possibly coordination with power company depending on if they let electricians pull meters out.

***Not a homeowner install, may need to replace cable from meter to disconnect and/or disconnect to panel. Hire qualified local electrician to insure grounding is correct and install is feasible.***

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks again. I would definitely go to the pros. Now I sort of know what to ask.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:

I left of it needs to be fused as well. Also that install requires permit and possibly coordination with power company depending on if they let electricians pull meters out.

***Not a homeowner install, may need to replace cable from meter to disconnect and/or disconnect to panel. Hire qualified local electrician to insure grounding is correct and install is feasible.***

ALSO- code in my state is that the transfer switch has to switch the neutral as well to the generator, not just the 2 lines.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Skins.

Still thinking about installing the outdoor transfer switch. While the breaker box is easily accessible, I just don't feel like walking from outside to the basement, back and forth, to switch to genset power. Would rather just wheel out the generator plug it in and flip the switches from there.

I guess it varies State to State, but are there any general codes about distance from the main panel? I should be able to place it within 5 feet or so.

Also, I've heard that I can rough it in and have an electrician make the final connections. While not an electrician, I can complete the box install and wiring myself. I'm sure I can do the entire install myself. But, how far am I allowed to install before calling in a professional?

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sock Eating Golden:
Thanks for the info Skins.

Still thinking about installing the outdoor transfer switch. While the breaker box is easily accessible, I just don't feel like walking from outside to the basement, back and forth, to switch to genset power. Would rather just wheel out the generator plug it in and flip the switches from there.

Either way you need to go to the basement twice. Once to turn off all loads and a second time to turn on what you are planning to use.

I guess it varies State to State, but are there any general codes about distance from the main panel? I should be able to place it within 5 feet or so.

Nope. Good to go for any distance. Extremely long cords will result in some voltage drop.

Also, I've heard that I can rough it in and have an electrician make the final connections. While not an electrician, I can complete the box install and wiring myself. I'm sure I can do the entire install myself. But, how far am I allowed to install before calling in a professional?

Around here you can do from start to finish. It's a pain in the but, go to county to get permit, figure out how install it, screw up a couple times, make runs to home depot for forgotten items, call in inspection, wait for inspector. Most of the interlock ones are installed with out permits, the collar ones too, but if you follow the letter of the law you have to pull a permit every time you sneeze.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could I do something like this? I think messing with that Bulldog is not such a good idea now.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B...pa_dk_detail_4?psc=1

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Could I do something like this? I think messing with that Bulldog is not such a good idea now.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B...pa_dk_detail_4?psc=1

I believe that is a single 2 pole circuit transfer switch.

The path of least resistance is using a prebuilt 10 circuit transfer switch. The downside is no larger two pole circuits, so an electric hot water heater is out of the question, well pump, if you have one, may or may not work with it either.

Lastly it will stick out of the drywall as they are not designed to fit flush like an electrical panel, and it will be hard to patch around it. I would build out the wall slightly and put a door over it to hide it.

In the end it's most likely the least costly way to do it. I am guessing from the picture of you panel you have mostly gas appliances? If that is the case you will be able to run a lot of stuff with the prewired set up. It also has a built in watt meter so you can have an idea of how much load you are using.

Trans Switch

Inlet box

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Hey Skins. What would happen if current was sent to a generator from your electrical panel with the generator running or not running?

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Unsure. Either ruin generator or just trip breakers on panel and generator. Door #3 - something blows up.

This is why transfer switches and interlocks exist. So you don't make your stuff go kaboom or kill a lineman up stream of your house. Power company transformers work both ways. If they have no high voltage and you put house voltage through PoCo lines high voltage comes out transformers. If a lineman is working on it he can be killed.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmnut:
Hey Skins. What would happen if current was sent to a generator from your electrical panel with the generator running or not running?

If the generator is running, a lot of smoke and sparks and melted wiring and sometimes fire on the generator end.

If it's not running generally smoke and sometimes melted windings on the generator end.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Just wondering.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post