SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Remember the Illinois bill (SB1657) Springfield helped along....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remember the Illinois bill (SB1657) Springfield helped along.... Login/Join 
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted
Well it's back. Placed on the docket for a third reading in the house. It already passed in the senate after Springfield and Rock River's rep got them written out of its control.

The bill would set up an Illinois version of the ATF for all dealers to register with, and of coarse it would be made up of anti gun folks who will have the power to turn down those requests.

I have divested myself of all Springfield Armory products and shortly will have what remains of Rock River firearms gone as well.

SB1657
Synopsis As Introduced
Creates the Gun Dealer Licensing Act. Provides that it is unlawful for a person to engage in the business of selling, leasing, or otherwise transferring firearms without a license issued by the Department of Financial and Professional Regulation. Provides that a dealership agent other than a dealer licensee-in-charge may act on behalf of the licensed dealership without being licensed as a dealer under the Act. Creates the Gun Dealer Licensing Board consisting of 5 members appointed by the Secretary of Financial and Professional Regulation to recommend policies, procedures, and rules relevant to the administration and enforcement of the Act. Provides that the holder of a dealership license issued under the Act may employ in the conduct of his or her business dealership agents. Establishes qualifications for obtaining dealership licenses and for being employed as a dealership agent. Establishes penalties for violations of the Act. Provides for rulemaking, including emergency rulemaking. Amends the Regulatory Sunset Act. Provides that the Act is repealed on January 1, 2028. Amends the Illinois Administrative Procedure Act. Makes conforming changes.

Senate Floor Amendment No. 1
Replaces everything after the enacting clause. Reinserts the provisions of the bill except: (1) provides that "dealer" includes the following Federal Firearms Licenses: Type 01-dealer in firearms other than destructive devices; Type 02-pawnbroker in firearms other than destructive devices; Type 09-dealer of destructive devices; (2) defines "collector" and "licensed collector"; (3) defines "importer"; (4) provides that "manufacturer" includes the following types of Federal Firearms Licenses: Type 06-manufacturer of ammunition for firearms other than ammunition for destructive devices or armor piercing ammunition; Type 07-manufacturer of firearms other than destructive devices; Type 10-manufacturer of destructive devices, ammunition for destructive devices, or armor piercing ammunition; (5) provides that the exemption from licensing under the Gun Dealer Licensing Act for transfers of pieces or parts of a firearm that do not themselves qualify as firearms under the federal Gun Control Act of 1968 by a person who is actually engaged in manufacturing and selling those pieces or parts but only on the activities which are within the lawful scope of that business applies only to the manufacture of which do not require the manufacturer to hold a Federal Firearms License; (6) provides that a person licensed as an auctioneer under the Auction License Act may facilitate a transfer permitted under the Gun Dealer Licensing Act without being registered as a dealer under the Act; (7) provides that a dealer holding a Federal Firearms License Type 01-dealer in firearms other than destructive devices; Type 02-pawnbroker in firearms other than destructive devices; or Type 09-dealer of destructive devices on April 1, 2017, is not exempt from the Gun Dealer Licensing Act by obtaining a Manufacturer Federal Firearms License or Importer Federal Firearms License; and (8) exempts from the requirements of licensure under the Gun Dealer Licensing Act, transfers of firearms by a dealer in which 20% or less of the dealer's annual sales are from the sale of firearms.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislatio...=104404&SessionID=91

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Yes really bad news if it goes through and guaranteed to shut down home based FFLs due to added license fees and regulations. Also gives the licensing board, which will be packed with gun hating liberals, emergency powers so that they could shut down a gun store for any reason they want for any time period. This will almost certainly be used to shut down close in to Chicago suburban gun stores and prevent any gun stores from opening in or near Chicago which is really what this is all about. Around here most of the gun ranges are also gun stores which means the gun ranges will be gone too.

If passed I hope there is a legal challenge as this would spread quickly to other blue and maybe purple states.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Killer
posted Hide Post
I saw this and it doesn't surprise me. My two main carry guns are Springfields, and while I won't be selling them, I certainly won't be giving them anymore of my money.

Posts: 321 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: December 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does Illinois really have enough money to keep paying all of these morons to keep making up new unnecessary laws?

Posts: 1350 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Probably cheaper and easier than truly dealing with Chicago's problems.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Some Shot:
Does Illinois really have enough money to keep paying all of these morons to keep making up new unnecessary laws?

I just assumed that's what was all about. Less about control, more about revenue.

My state already has similar laws, some state, some county. You need an additional license to sell handguns, and to be a gunsmith.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
The libtards in Chicago have tried to close all gun shops in a 120 miles radius for years. They’ve not been successful in the past by either the courts or legislative means because down state dems knew better. That’s why the sellout by Springfield and Rock river hurts so much.

Never mind that the majority of firearms used by gang bangers are stolen. A good portion of those from Indiana.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
Sir's I must stop you all from posting logical arguments. Guns stolen from Indiana? How dare you insult these fine upstanding young folks who where just misunderstood youths. Roll Eyes

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post