SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What's the longest you've had a set of sunglasses?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's the longest you've had a set of sunglasses? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Black Oakley Eyeshades purchased 6/27/1987 for $59.95. Still have box, etc. Nose piece has become deformed. They were glued to the frame back then. Not sure if replaceable.

Posts: 607 | Location: Washington State | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
That I use? Rayban Wayfarers I bought in 1999, which replaced the Wayfarers I broke that year, which I bought in 1984.

I have other Raybans fro 1984- Wings, Outdoorsman, Boleros. Others I can't recall, all from 1984.

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got a pair of Ray Ban Ambermatics that I used for duck hunting that I have had since the mid'70s.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 240 | Location: Kiawah Island, SC | Registered: July 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of black frame RAY BAN Aviator sunglasses that I bought in 1981. Three years ago I bought an updated version but they don't feel the same.

SPORTSMAN'S WAREHOUSE has a good selection of inexpensive sunglasses. I buy a couple of pairs of those every couple of years to wear on the acreage. Not such a big loss if they get lost or scratched.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of pairs of Walmart Aviators I bought 5 years ago. Cost about $12 each as I recall.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Anywhere from two to five years for the lenses, until my prescription changes enough to replace the lenses.

I might or might not re-use the frame, depending on how well I like it and its condition.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I had a pair of Baush and Lomb sunglasses I had for about 20 years. The frames just crumbled one day. Since then, nothing more than a couple of years.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I have a set of Ray Ban Wayfarers from the early 80's, guessing 82 or so,

bright red, with BUDWEISER on one side,

got them out of the catalog Bud used to send out annually,

wore them just the other day

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Rayban Aviators my uncle gave me in 71 or 72 when he was teaching me to fly.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
You guys crushed me! I saw the thread title and thought for sure I had a contender...Not even close! Smile

I got these Bolle's sometime between 1990 and 1995 at the latest. I still wear them doing farm chores, I got a new pair of Bolle for the car a few years ago.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I have 2 pair RayBan shooting glasses since the late 50s. One green lens for rifle use. One yellow lens. Also have a daily use RayBan old enough to have the springy ear bows I got in the early 70s.

Also have an American Optical Blues Bros glasses I found the day RFK flew into town the week before he was .......

Now my favorite daily wear set are Maui Jims in brown lenses

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I have a set of Ray-Ban "Classic" metal aviator frames in gold that I use for my prescription sunglasses. I've had those frames for at least 25 years, if not 30. I've changed the prescription lenses in them probably 2 or 3 times through the years with the classic green G-15 lens. They've been GREAT sunglasses for driving and casual wear when I'm not wearing my contacts.

I always wear contacts when flying, so my sunglasses of choice are Serengeti's with "Drivers" lenses. They "wrap around" my eyes, as opposed to a "straight" Ray Ban frame, and offer protection from peripheral light/glare...helps see the instrument panel better. The last model I bought was the Velocity in 2017 because I left my original pair from 2000-ish on the flight deck and no one EVER returns anything that's not theirs...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I have two pair of Arnette Aviators from 1995, still going strong.

Posts: 9506 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OAKLEY Bottle Rockets with amber Fire lenses. Had a bad fall about a year ago that really scratched the lenses, called Revent Optical and they sent me a new set of lenses, they are easy to install.
They are my daily wear sun glasses.

"All warfare is based on deception" Sun Tzu, The art of War

Posts: 552 | Location: Gulf Coast of SW Florida | Registered: August 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Revo blue aviators from 1988.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray-Ban Aviators (I was a cop) and Wayfarers are 20+ years old.
Gargoyles (Clint looked cool in them, I tried to) are 20+.
Maui Jim 20+.
Costa Del Mar 10+.
My current daily wear are safety sunglasses from SafetyGlasses USA. Which enable me to keep my high $$$ shades safe from wear and loss.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Ray-Bans I bought at the Navy Exchange in Atlantic Beach, FL about the late nineties. It will be a sad day when something happens to them. Most sunglasses annoyingly rub my right eyelashes. I must have tried on a dozen pair and several models before settling on those.

Posts: 4698 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:
I've got Costa Del Mar's from the early/mid '90s, wore them last night.

You wore them last night? Are you 106 miles from Chicago? You must have a full tank of gas and a half pack of cigarettes too.

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
12-year-old Ray-Ban Aviators right now.

Posts: 5585 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one of the original Serenghetti Drivers from around 1980. I also have a pair of early Maui Jim's (late 80s?) and a pair of Juarnets I found at Mammoth Mountain in 1984

Posts: 122 | Location: N. TX | Registered: June 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post