SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What's the longest you've had a set of sunglasses?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's the longest you've had a set of sunglasses? Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
On my workbench was a set of classic Ray-Ban aviators that I've had since the mid-90's. I think I bought them for $30 at a PX somewhere.

I just looked and the same glasses are $150-$200.

There was quite the sun beating down on our house yesterday and I didn't feel like going to my car and getting my current Ray-Bans which were gifted to me a few years ago after I lost another set of Ray-Bans. They had a thick layer of dust and I hit it with some alcohol and a rag. The glass was still crystal clear. It's probably been 10+ years since I put those on my face. They felt good.

It's funny how the teardrop classic Ray-Ban aviator style has come back into style. My neighbor's wife was wearing gas-station $10 Ray-Ban knockoff's.

What's the longest you've had a set of sunglasses? What brand?

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Had my Wiley-X SG-1s for over 10 years. Maybe 10-20. I’ve replaced the lenses in them once or twice.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
Porsche Design ( interchangeable lense ) 1991or 92. Was my first buy once cry once. Prior I was breaking or melting in my car. Haven't wore them in years ......... appears they are making a comeback. Mine look new.

Posts: 2876 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
A set of Ray-Ban Wayfarers from about 10 years ago.
I keep them in the truck so that has helped me from losing them.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ranger41
posted Hide Post
Ray-Ban wire earpiece Aviators purchased summer 1960. Still worn daily.

"The world is too dangerous to live in-not because of the people who do evil, but because of the people who sit and let it happen." (Albert Einstein)

Posts: 955 | Location: Rural Virginia - USA | Registered: May 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I’ve still got a pair of Ray Ban aviator style sunglasses, somewhere. I quit wearing them because of their weight and the fact that they slide down my nose; I’ll bet I’ve had those for at least 30 years.

My dad had his Bausch and Lomb aviators from WWII, serving in the AAF. Sometime in the 80s (I guess) he dropped them over the side of a boat on a fishing vacation in Minnesota. Poor guy. I think he mourned those sunglasses for the rest of his life.

Posts: 13257 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Oakley Mars from 1998, and a pair of Oakley Juliet from 1999. I picked up many other pairs along the way, but those two are the oldest.

The Mars are in the first pic, in the back on the left. The second pic are all Juliets, but the Fire Iridium (yellow/orange lenses) are the ones from 1999.

The third pic is my whole case, mostly all Oakley, a few Oliver Peoples, Maui Jim, and Ray Ban mixed in.

Bottom shelf is Jim Jannard’s autograph on my name card from an Oakley event held at Red Camera Studios.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
A pair of Oakley Flak Jackets from 2006ish. Flaks used to be my go-to sunglasses, and I had like 4 pairs. I lost all but 1 over the years (usually on the lake/river), and gradually replaced them with Oakley Valves which are my new favorites.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MrToad
posted Hide Post
I've got a pair of Serengeti polarized from the mid-80s.

If you like religion, laws or sausage, then you shouldn't watch them being made.

Posts: 3342 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I've got Costa Del Mar's from the early/mid '90s, wore them last night.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I've managed to hold onto a few expensive pairs for at least a month each.

So I quit buying nice sunglasses many years ago.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
(pics)

Holy smokes! He's got his own Oakley display case! Big Grin

Heck, I thought I was doing well, keeping a pair of Oakley Tightrope for about 6 years. You guys have me beat, hands down.

God bless America.

Posts: 13497 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I wear Oakley square wire, usually go 2 to 3 years per set.

Been my sunglasses of choice since 1998.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
A month. I buy tinted safety glasses and toss them after a month or so. They get trashed at work. Buy them ten at a time.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gibb:
I wear Oakley square wire, usually go 2 to 3 years per set.

Been my sunglasses of choice since 1998.

I like Square Wire 2.0s. I've bought and lost or broke 4-5 pairs over the years. Great glasses, though.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
some early ray-ban yellow/photochromic shooting glasses since 1976.

Posts: 2213 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
I still have the first pair of Oakleys I got for Christmas in 2000.

Posts: 3660 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
In 1992 I found a pair of "aviator" sunglass (the smaller/squarish style lenses to wear with a helmet), I liked them because I could wear them under my full face motorcycle helmet. But they had a bad scratch on one lens. So I bought another pair and a week later dropped a heavy box on them ruining them. I took parts from both pairs and made a working set, which I'm still wearing today. (wore them yesterday)

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Ive had a pair of Ray-Ban New Wayfarers for about five years....before those I had some Oakleys that I had for about ten years at work..they got damaged in a fight one day. Girl scratched my face and the sunglasses kept my eye from getting scratched.

I tend to keep sunglasses for five years or so...I once had some expensive coasta Del Mar’s go into the drink on a case one day. I went back and retrieved them later.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Serengeti Vedi and a pair of Bolle Parole sunglasses that must be around 15-18 years old. I remember where we were living when I bought them but don't remember the year. They were mostly stored and didn't get much use since I only wore them for short periods at a time when I was using contact lenses. I had Lasik surgery in 2018, so they've had regular use since then.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post