New
Find
Notify
Tools

Basmati rice Login/Join 
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted
What is the best way to cook/season basmati rice? I like rice, and I'm looking to try something other than standard long grain white rice.

Thank you for your help.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
This is what I do: for 1 cup of rice, use 16 oz of low-sodium chicken broth; 1 teaspoon of sea salt; 1 tablespoon of minced/diced dried onions; 1 tablespoon of dried parsley; 1 tablespoon of butter.

Cover & nuke in microwave on high for 5 minutes; stir mixture and nuke at 50% power for another 10 to 15 minutes, until all broth fully absorbed. Remove from microwave and stir to fluff up rice; keep covered until ready to serve.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2698 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...ilpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bought one for my girlfriend, one of the best kitchen appliances we own.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll second the Zojirushi ... while not cheap it was money well spent.

We cook different types of rice, including basmati, and all types come out wonderful!

Chuck

Life's tough...tougher if you're stupid

(AKA "cwr" on SIGforum [email account issues])

Posts: 358 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: February 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I prefer Basmati to other rices. I like the flavor, texture and smell. I substitute chicken broth (or beef broth, if I am making a heavier dish) for water, and add 2 tbsp of butter to the cooking water and 2 tbsp of crushed ginger. The ginger is particularly nice if you are serving the rice with fish or a light chicken dish.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12766 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Trader Joe's microwaveable pouches!!
Quick easy and delicious.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
Just substitute coconut milk for half the water.

You can thank me later.

Cheers~

Posts: 905 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
This will not be the low sodium or low fat solution, but is a great standby that folks will love!

1 & 1/3c rice
1 can beef consomme
1 can french onion soup
1 stick melted butter
~4oz mushroom slices (optional)

Mix all together, cook an hour at 350 in covered casserole, fluff with fork halfway through and again when done, top with Parmesan when done.

Seriously good eats, and straight off a bag of Basmati about a zillion years ago.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12399 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
I make it in a rice cooker, it isn't exactly Persian style but it is close. I buy it at the Persian market, aged extra long grain Basmati.

2 cups of rinsed rice
2.25cups water
Salt to taste
2 tbsp butter
Pinch of saffron (I use powdered because I make it a lot)

Turn the rice cooker on, and it is pretty much fool proof.

We sometimes put Dill and Fava Beans but that is typically paired with sea food. On special occasions we will make it in a traditional pot and crisp the bottom for a proper Tahdig.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
We are fans of Jasmine rice here. It's been a while since I've had Basmati, but IIRC, the flavors aren't that far apart.

I just cook the same as white rice (1 1/2 cups water for 1 cup rice, 2 3/4 cups water for 2 cups rice), bring to a boil, then kill the heat and clamp on the lid.

I'll add a pinch of salt to the water.

We normally only make rice here when making chinese/asian dishes, and serve the meat on top of it, as you would find in most chinese restaurants.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
In America's Test Kitchen testing, the twenty dollar Aroma rice cooker beat out the Zojirushi in several categories. And it's way easier to figure out.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I cook rice often, being that I am Indian.

First, I take 2 sponnfuls of Olive Oil, and het it in the pot. When the oil is heated, I put the measured amount of rice , and stir well, making sure that oil coats all the rice. I keep stirring the riice at high temp. for about 4 or 5 minutes. Then, I add 1.5 cups of Water for every 1 cup of rice, and let the water cometo a boil. When the water starts boiling, lower the temperature to 3.5 ( on a stove that goes from 1 to 10), and cover the pot. Let the rice cook at 3.5 for 14 or 15 minutes.
After 14 minutes, remove the pot from the stove, and let it sit for about 12 to 15 minutes, and after that, serve and eat!!!!Smile

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Trader Joe's microwaveable pouches!!
Quick easy and delicious.

Yep. I get my Basmati rice in TJ's frozen Indian dinners. I season it with fresh ground black pepper.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8931 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

Holy smokes! That is one expensive rice cooker. I'm not dissing you. I just can't believe techonology can add much to cooking rice like it's been done for so many centuries for so much more cheaper. Coffee, I can believe. But rice?

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Thank you to everyone for your replies. I'm learning a lot, and I'm glad I asked.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:

Holy smokes! That is one expensive rice cooker. I'm not dissing you. I just can't believe techonology can add much to cooking rice like it's been done for so many centuries for so much more cheaper. Coffee, I can believe. But rice?

If you are like me and can't get rice right it's worth every penny. Load her up and hit cook, 45 minutes later house is filled with the smell of Jasmine or Basmati rice. I love that smell.

Also very helpful because I insist that all food be ready at the same time and served steaming hot. This thing will keep rice warm for days I've eaten three day old rice out of it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
My rice keeps coming out as total mush and I looked up what I was doing wrong. All this time I thought the 1 part rice to 2 parts water was correct but it wasn't apparently.

Last night my wife cooked up some Carolina rice and she rinsed it well first, then used 1.5 CUPS water to the 1 cup rice and it came out really, really good! Not mushy, nice separate firmer grains.

Posts: 33757 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:

If you are like me and can't get rice right it's worth every penny. Load her up and hit cook, 45 minutes later house is filled with the smell of Jasmine or Basmati rice. I love that smell.

Also very helpful because I insist that all food be ready at the same time and served steaming hot. This thing will keep rice warm for days I've eaten three day old rice out of it.

I agree completely. I have a similar Zojirushi that I've had for 5 or 6 years. Mine's a 3-cup. It makes plenty of rice for a family of four using American-sized portions of rice (where rice is a side dish or something to soak up sauce). If you routinely feed more than four people or you serve Asian-sized portions of rice (where the rice is the meal and the other stuff is basically a topping), get a bigger one.

Perfectly cooked rice every time.

You don't have to keep an eye on it or remember when you're supposed to turn the stove off. Just dump the water and rice in, close the top, push start. Done. (If you're cooking not-white rice, you might have to push a button a couple of times to tell the machine you're doing something else.)

Skins mentioned maybe the biggest selling point of all. The machine seals up tight (it does vent steam while cooking rice), so after the rice is done and it switches to "keep warm" mode, it will keep the rice hot, fluffy, and moist for hours (I've never gone three days, but five or six hours later the rice still has the taste and texture of just-cooked rice).

For the tea drinkers out there (or people who use a french press for coffee), Zojirushi also makes the best hot water dispensers in existence. Like the rice cookers, they seal up tight, so they'll keep hot water for weeks without noticeable evaporation. They also have selectable temperatures (175 F if you're doing mix-in-powder instant hot drinks, 195 F for most types of tea, and 208 F for coffee and the few types of tea that are supposed to be steeped that hot). Lately I've left mine on 208 F and just dispense water straight into the french press.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
We love that rice, my wife boils it then lets in simmer with a towel wrapped around the lid,basically acts as a steamer, rice comes out perfect every time.

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
The only bad thing about Basmati rice is that I pronounce it "bassamatic" if I haven't said the word for awhile.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8931 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post