SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Internet/Email help
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Internet/Email help Login/Join 
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted
My email software (outlook 2016) took a dump and I cannot recover. Tried doing restore, 4 times with different dates.

Can't do email.

Seems I have 2 choices.

1. Find the name of the company that Verizon transferred their email service to

2. set up a new account with microslop with all the attendant crap that goes with anything related to microslop.

Question: Does anyone recall the name/address of the organization that took over Verizon's email service?

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
Why not get a gmail account? Best email service around. Though, I'm not overly sensitive about the privacy of my email with gmail. I use this for routine communication with family, friends and businesses.

That being said, I also use Protonmail (encrypted) for all my financial emails along with anything of a sensitive nature.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what type of "dump" your outlook may have taken...but.....
have you tried scanpst.exe?
It is on your HDD somewhere (you can search for it).
From there, you will need to know where your .pst file is located. I have used this tool to repair several outlook files in the past.

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Sounds more like Verizonslop than Microslop, eh?
Or maybe Elkslop. Eek

FYI, system restore is not the way to fix an email issue.

Verizon has retired their email service.

At any rate sounds like the problem is not Microsoft generated if you email company quits.

Posts: 22906 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
The immediate think I would do is see if you are able to log in via direct to the Verizon email service. It looks to be right here?

https://myverizonid.verizon.com/amserver/UI/Login
Use the info smschulz provided instead - https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/email

From there, at least you have access to your email.

If Outlook was set up in an IMAP configuration - that leaves your received and sent email on the server - you should be able to recover.

If you have your contacts and calendar in Outlook on your local machine, that's going to be an issue if you are unable to recover a good Outlook .pst file.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4990 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Someone here may be able to talk you through resolving the issue with Outlook, if you're interested.

That being said, you may be able to log into your Verizon account via their website and just use that as your email client. If you know your username should be your email address, and you'll have a password you set up with them.

Edit: it looks like they are using AOL's mail system: https://help.aol.com/products/aol-mail-verizon

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
I have an AOL e mail account whichI like pretty well. My main e mail is my internet provider TWC. I also have a proton account which I guess I really should use but just have never gotten used to.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBTRS:
Why not get a gmail account? Best email service around. Though, I'm not overly sensitive about the privacy of my email with gmail. I use this for routine communication with family, friends and businesses.

That being said, I also use Protonmail (encrypted) for all my financial emails along with anything of a sensitive nature.

If you want on-demand encrypted email built in to your gmail, check out Virtru. We've been using it for a few years now without issue. (We don't use the encryption a ton - just occasionally)

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBTRS:
Why not get a gmail account? Best email service around. Though, I'm not overly sensitive about the privacy of my email with gmail. I use this for routine communication with family, friends and businesses...

If you like SPAM.

I was getting SPAM from Nigeria, Russia, the FBI, IRS, Mother Theresa and even Mrs. Obama offering me millions in cash, provided I gave them my Bank account numbers.

I completely deleted Gmail and went to outlook.com and icloud.com (Mac) for more reliable email accounts.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
^^^ I have over 100 business users on gmail (paid version) as well as a free personal account. Their spam filters work well, IMO. That being said, how much spam you get is strongly correlated to how many people/companies have your email address. I don't think you're any more likely to get bombarded on a gmail account more than any other account, so long as your email address doesn't fall into the wrong hands too often.

Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Verizon sold their customer operations to Frontier. I wish you luck with that. Last I heard you would be better off trying to get information from a retarded naked mole, but maybe they’ve improved. Smile

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
^^^ I have over 100 business users on gmail (paid version) as well as a free personal account. Their spam filters work well, IMO. That being said, how much spam you get is strongly correlated to how many people/companies have your email address. I don't think you're any more likely to get bombarded on a gmail account more than any other account, so long as your email address doesn't fall into the wrong hands too often.

For many months I tried tweeking the Gmail Spam filters to stop the deluge of Spam I was receiving. I don't know if my account was being hacked, but I just couldn't make it work.

I get no Spam with outlook.com and icloud.com accounts.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I just yesterday had Outlook stop sending e-mail through my Yahoo! Mail server. (Receive worked OK) I jumped through a lot of hoops, some of them several times, and eventually the Send function began working again. This is a recurring problem between Yahoo! Mail and Outlook 2016--it's happened at least 3 times that I remember.

flashguy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: flashguy,

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post