SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    **Mystery solved **Help in identifying the artist and history of this painting. *Update: artist ID'ed page 2* 1910 Magazine found page 3 *:)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

**Mystery solved **Help in identifying the artist and history of this painting. *Update: artist ID'ed page 2* 1910 Magazine found page 3 *:) Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I just learned a bit more about how that Ernest Fuhr Teddy Roosevelt caricature came into my parent's possession. It was originally owned by my paternal grandmother's sister's husband Sebastian Biehres, who was a restaurateur in Syracuse and New York City, and was passed down to my father.

Here's an interesting picture of him with Willie Hoppe, a famous world champion pool / billiards player.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16189 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
A little thread drift. Big Grin

The Willie Hoppe picture stirred up some old memories.

I recall shooting in the huge pool hall area of the Holiday Bowl on Erie Blvd East in Syracuse in the late '60s-early '70s when Babe Cranfield, another world champ billiard player would come in to practice. They'd clear tables two deep around the one he'd play on. The man could shoot! He'd run table after table and then swear like a drill sergeant when he'd finally missed.

The stick I had in those days was an original Palmer Model "I" made the second year of production (circa '67-'68). Had a French tip and was a joy to use being perfectly balanced and with an optimum shaft diameter for me. It still pains me that it was stolen in Kalifornica in the mid '70s. They go for a solid 4 figures on today's used market. My current equipment consists of an early '90s McDermott E-F4 with a spare 1st generation Predator 314 shaft.

Palmer:

McDermott:

Sadly I don't play much at all these days. The sticks sit in my safe in a nice leather carry case.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16189 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
The tape backing on the framed picture had disintegrated (it was at least 60 years old), so I have made arrangements for repair. In so doing the back of the artwork was exposed providing the final information.

Searching for Columbian Magazine history provided the following. Still looking for a clean example of the magazine cover.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
That is pretty cool you were able to track down the additional details.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Smile

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38646 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Neat thread and of course, the SF comes through again. Just wanted to say I knew nothing about the picture or artist, but the sweet neckercheif reminded me of Mr. Furley from Three's Company!

Posts: 239 | Location: San Antonio, Tx | Registered: October 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
BigJnSa,

The taped backing on the frame disintegrated as I previously posted. Been working with a framing shop to select a new frame and mat. The young folks there simply refer to the artwork as "the lion." When questioned they had little knowledge of Teddy Roosevelt to include why this caricature is so fitting. At least a few older folks there knew history. Big Grin

Updated May 29 2019. Here's the work in its new frame and matting.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

USN (RET), COTEP #192