SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    **Mystery solved **Help in identifying the artist and history of this painting. *Update: artist ID'ed page 2* 1910 Magazine found page 3 *:)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

**Mystery solved **Help in identifying the artist and history of this painting. *Update: artist ID'ed page 2* 1910 Magazine found page 3 *:) Login/Join 
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
I cropped the photo to just include the caricature and did a "google search for image". Image was not found ... except here on SF of course.

"Search by image on google" is an add-on extension for FireFox.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:
I cropped the photo to just include the caricature and did a "google search for image". Image was not found ... except here on SF of course.

Yeah I had the same result. The online archives for magazine covers are incomplete which is why I'm sure.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you looked at some of the online appraisal sites like www.valuemystuff.com or mearto.com?

Posts: 266 | Registered: June 03, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Turning_gal:
Have you looked at some of the online appraisal sites like www.valuemystuff.com or mearto.com?

I'm not so much interested in the value, but more in the history that's been lost.

But thank you for those links.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bald- I am friends with the guy who is the Director of the Univ of Michigan Museum of Art. So, I will show him this post of yours, and let's see what he has to say. Even if he does not have the info himself, he will know where to turn to for credible advice. I will email you as soon as I hear from him.

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sidss1:
bald- I am friends with the guy who is the Director of the Univ of Michigan Museum of Art. So, I will show him this post of yours, and let's see what he has to say. Even if he does not have the info himself, he will know where to turn to for credible advice. I will email you as soon as I hear from him.

Fantastic! Thank you so much!!!

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
A little bit to share as to why this painting means so much to me.

Back in my youth I missed a whole summer little league season due to pneumonia. During that bed ridden time I did a lot of sketching and drawing to include a pencil rendition of this painting. Used a bunch of techniques like making small inverted "v's" and then rubbing them with my finger to create a fur like texture in the drawing. A year or two later I was selected for a summer youth art development program at Syracuse University. I believe I was 11 as I recall folks in the class singing the theme to the then new TV series Rawhide. Big Grin Several of my works from that program went on tour in NY State (as an aside one that I remember was an underwater seascape with remnants of a shipwreck), mostly libraries, but still...

One of my life's great regrets is not having developed this talent God gave me.

Regardless I think you can now understand why this painting has such deep sentimental value and why I seek its lost history.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
And now I've now heard back from the local Dahl Arts Center. A rather curt "Don't recognize the style; don't recognize the signature." Oh well, I didn't expect much from them.

Still hoping to hear from the Theodore Roosevelt Center at Dickinson State University, and, of course, from whatever sidss1 is able to garner.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I've heard back from the Director of the Theodore Roosevelt Center at Dickinson State University. She is going to check with both her staff and friends of the Center about identifying the artist and the caricature's history.

:fingers crossed:

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
A friend of the Theodore Roosevelt Center suggested that Ernest Fuhr was the artist of my painting but was not familiar with my painting.

Here's a signature from a February 1914 Life Magazine cover:

And that found on my painting:

Biography Ernest Fuhr
Born: 1874 - New York, New York
Died: 1933 - Westport, Connecticut

Ernest Fuhr, a magazine illustrator and creator of World War I posters, was born in 1874. He was illustrator for the "New York Herald" and the "New York World" newspapers as well as for magazines. He was also founder of the Westport Art School in 1933 in Westport, Connecticut.

Fuhr studied at the National Academy of Design in New York and in Paris at the Academie Colarossi, and William Merritt Chase and Thomas Eakins were among his teachers.

The search for more information continues! Big Grin

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
A friend of the Theodore Roosevelt Center suggested that Ernest Fuhr was the artist of my painting but was not familiar with my painting.

Here's a signature from a February 1914 Life Magazine cover:

And that found on my painting:

Biography Ernest Fuhr
Born: 1874 - New York, New York
Died: 1933 - Westport, Connecticut

Ernest Fuhr, a magazine illustrator and creator of World War I posters, was born in 1874. He was illustrator for the "New York Herald" and the "New York World" newspapers as well as for magazines. He was also founder of the Westport Art School in 1933 in Westport, Connecticut.

Fuhr studied at the National Academy of Design in New York and in Paris at the Academie Colarossi, and William Merritt Chase and Thomas Eakins were among his teachers.

The search for more information continues! Big Grin

That's awesome that you found someone information on the artist!

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

and now,
we know,
the rest,
of
the story,

Good Day!

thats good news

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54604 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
It would be good to get an appraisal for insurance purposes. Not that you would ever sell it but so you could protect your property.

Askart has 4 records of Ernest Fuhr art at auction of course you have to be a subscriber to see all information.
Askart

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4829 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cool story!

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ozarkwoods:
It would be good to get an appraisal for insurance purposes. Not that you would ever sell it but so you could protect your property.

Askart has 4 records of Ernest Fuhr art at auction of course you have to be a subscriber to see all information.
Askart

Yeah I found that site as well as a number of other art related ones but all of them require subscriptions to view their information. Frown

If anyone here has access, I'd certainly appreciate whatever they could share.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
The Antiques road show will be in Fargo on June 1st ( Bonanzaville),

even if you do not get on tv, they would give you some good info.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54604 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Exciting story! Glad to hear you're getting answers!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38646 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:

Me too! Now again is to find the magazine issue that this art appeared on. Smile

quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
The Antiques road show will be in Fargo on June 1st

That's 580 miles away from me. Frown

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:

Me too! Now again is to find the magazine issue that this art appeared on. Smile

quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
The Antiques road show will be in Fargo on June 1st

That's 580 miles away from me. Frown

Sounds like a great road trip Cool

While your at it stop at the Terry Redlin museum in Waterville

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4829 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
When I looked at the Roadshow site it said all the tickets for 2019 show dates were sold out.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post