SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tax form question, W-9S
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tax form question, W-9S Login/Join 
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted
I'm taking a German class at the local college. I paid my tuition in full out of my own pocket. I got an email from them stating:

quote:
Good morning,

We are beginning to compile the 2017 Tax Form 1098T and we are missing the following information to complete your file:

Student Social Security Number

This information is needed as the IRS requires us to file a Form 1098T for each student each year. The 1098T contains information about qualified tuition and related expenses which you or your family may be able to deduct for income tax purposes. But regardless of your tax status, a Form 1098T and a correct SSN is required for all students.

Please complete the attached (and hyperlinked) form W9-S Form and return a physical copy to the Business Office located at XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.

Section 6109 of the Internal Revenue Code requires you to provide your correct SSN to person who must file information return with the IRS. If you fail to furnish your correct SSN to the requestor, you are subject to a penalty of $50 from the Federal government, unless your failure is due to reasonable cause and not willful neglect. In order to avoid a possible government penalty, please respond with the requested documentation.

If you have any questions, please contact me.

Thank you for your assistance in complying with IRS rules.

On the IRS website it states:
quote:
Students use this form to:

give their social security number (SSN) or individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) to an educational institution or a lender of a student loan, and

certify that the proceeds of a loan are being used, or will be used, solely to pay for qualified higher education expenses, if applicable.

Since I have no student loans I've wrote back to the business office saying I'm not going to fill out their form.

Now I'll admit this is in slight protest to them requiring me to take an online alcohol education and sexual harassment course if I want to register for any more classes at the school. I'm a 35 year old college graduate already, and not to mention a LEO. I'm refusing to do that too.

Can any tax people let me know if my thinking is right? If I don't have student loans I don't have to fill out their form, right?

And I know they have my social on file already, I had to give it to them to enroll.

Posts: 11165 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Nope. It'll cost ya $50 each year. Please put your SSAN on your check to assure proper credit.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's also the possibility that you may be able to deduct some of your educational expenses if you're taking training that could improve your skills. Might be easier to prove that to the IRS if you have a correct 1098 from the school rather than hoping they take your word for it. Just saying...

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
That's not what I was hoping to get for an answer Jallen. I'll probably end up folding and submitting the form. I've just sent an online letter to my Senator about this. Probably won't go anywhere. All I really want is for someone to explain to me why they need my information for this particular situation. That's all I want.

Posts: 11165 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
That's not what I was hoping to get for an answer Jallen. I'll probably end up folding and submitting the form. I've just sent an online letter to my Senator about this. Probably won't go anywhere. All I really want is for someone to explain to me why they need my information for this particular situation. That's all I want.

There probably is no explanation that makes a lick of sense, except it is too much trouble to delineate those who must and those who need not, and train clerks to apply it.

Most government records are incomplete nonsense. The bureaucrats want your form filled out and signed so the record will be complete nonsense.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Here are some Social Security Numbers that might come in handy when filling in (filling out?) various forms, many of which have no legitimate reason to ask for a Social Security Number:
  • 042-68-4425 Barack Hussein Obama
  • 562-10-0296 Walt Disney
  • 552-38-5014 Theodor “Dr. Seuss” Geisel
  • 536-90-4399 Walter Liberace
  • 567-68-0515 Richard Nixon
  • 409-52-2002 Elvis Presley
  • 078-05-1120 The famous "Woolworth Social Security Number" that came on a SS look-alike card in wallets that were sold by Woolworth

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post