SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Jeep got rear ended this morning
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jeep got rear ended this morning Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
Wife is down at the beach and got rear ended at a stoplight by a 2016 F150. She was fine. Sent me pics of the F150, hood crumpled and bumper dangling off. Grill damage too, I’d expect. Easy $3,000. It hit the Jeep’s rear mounted spare.

She said she didn’t notice any damage to the Jeep. But she didn’t remove the tire to check the mount. Didn’t know to check weld seams, etc.

The Jeep is 5 months old and has 13,000 miles.

Doesn’t get the F150 driver’s name, phone number, address, license information, or tag. I fucking shit thee not. She takes a pic of their insurance card. That’s it. No call to police.

Having worked thousands of wrecks, I was not happy with this lack of information. What pissed me off even more is she used to be a paralegal with a firm that did insurance litigation.

My concerns are damaged spare, which I rotate in with the others every time, along with damage to the tire carrier and body that wasn’t immediately evident to her. I won’t be down there til tomorrow.

I’m sure the other owner will file a claim, with the damage they got. So I’ll have to worry about diminished value, too. Even if there is zero damage found.

I’m pissed that she didn’t file a report as required by law, obtaine the information required by law, or have the decency to call me as soon as it happened to consult with me about what to do about the second most expensive thing I’ve ever owned. She is usually very smart about stuff.

Any suggestions on the potential diminished value situation, if no damage is found but the other driver files a claim?

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my old Tundra got sideswiped on passenger side and hit all 4 panels

the car that hit it was long gone as they jumped the curb in middle of the night then took off, power pole stopped them abruptly, but they were gone

even with this on a carfax report (after it was fixed of course) it didn't seem to affect the trade in at the dealer at all.. they still gave me 23k with 155k miles

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6225 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any suggestions on the potential diminished value situation, if no damage is found but the other driver files a claim?

Wait to hear her explanation about why she did not get the information. Otherwise, your relationship will have DIMINISHED value as well.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No luck with a tag in one of the photos?

Other driver will make a claim on his insurance. I wouldn’t worry about diminished value. I would get some quotes on yours, OEM parts only. Youll need to get it fixed anyway. It would drive you nuts if you didn’t.

Spre tire could be bent, tailgate could be jacked up. It connects to the rear quarter panel, so that could be damaged. Jeeps are tougher than you think, but for peace of mind get it looked at.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1112 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

Wait to hear her explanation about why she did not get the information. Otherwise, your relationship will have DIMINISHED value as well.

“I didn’t see any damage”

There is no confusion about my lack of entertainment in this situation, trust me.

She went back and found the truck in the Walmart parking lot after I flipped my shit over the phone. Still didn’t wait for the people to get their information. Out of state tag, of course.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PM me as much info as you have about them. I'll try to work some angles for you. L90814@hotmail.com

Posts: 847 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
If I recall you have a Wrangler? If it hit the spare be sure to take the tire off and check the tailgate.

Posts: 12917 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:

Doesn’t get the F150 driver’s name, phone number, address, license information, or tag. I fucking shit thee not. She takes a pic of their insurance card. That’s it. No call to police.

Oh my God.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're a cop, right?

She does know that, right?

If she does, she does know cops AND husbands are usually the first called after everything comes to a rest after impact, yes?

Women Smile

The "Boz"

Posts: 1531 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
quote:
What pissed me off even more is she used to be a paralegal with a firm that did insurance litigation.

Chongo,

I've enjoyed so many of your posts for such a long time. I've been married 41 years.

Since your wife has some knowledge, she may have some experience of her own.

You seem to borrow a lot of anxiety from the future - the costs of repair, who is liable, who will report to insurance and many other things.

People settle traffic incidents quietly among themselves all the time - no matter what the law says or the amount of the damage where there are no injuries.

Was the F150 already partly crumpled before he hit her? Is he in existing trouble for a previous accident such that he doesn't want to report anything to anyone?

This may indeed be a teaching moment in your marriage. It's up to you to decide who could learn what. Consider this from a post I saw the other day:

While enjoying their evening cocktails, the wife asks her husband, in very seductive voice, have you ever seen Twenty Dollars all crumpled up?

No, said her husband. She gave him a sexy little smile, unbuttoned the top 3 or 4 buttons of her blouse, and slowly reached down into the cleavage created by a soft, silky push-up bra, and pulled out a crumpled Twenty Dollar bill.

He took the crumpled Twenty Dollar bill from her and smiled approvingly.

She then asked him, have you ever seen Fifty Dollars all crumpled up?

Uh... no, I haven't, he said, with an anxious tone in his voice.

She gave him another sexy little smile, pulled up her skirt,and seductively reached into her panties... and pulled out a crumpled Fifty Dollar bill.

He took the crumpled Fifty Dollar bill and started breathing a little quicker with anticipation.

Now, she said, have you ever seen Fifty Thousand Dollars all crumpled up?

He said, no, trying to contain his excitement. She said, Check the garage.
Wink

Maybe your wife could tell you in a better way when things inevitably arise.

Maybe you might say, "To hell with the garage, what else you got in there?"

Maybe after things settle down, you could send her the above story and say, "Hey, you could have told me better."

Lightening up saves room on the Richter scale for the big ones.

Posts: 3078 | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
quote:
While enjoying their evening cocktails, the wife asks her husband, in very seductive voice, have you ever seen Twenty Dollars all crumpled up?

No, said her husband. She gave him a sexy little smile, unbuttoned the top 3 or 4 buttons of her blouse, and slowly reached down into the cleavage created by a soft, silky push-up bra, and pulled out a crumpled Twenty Dollar bill.

She gave him another sexy little smile, pulled up her skirt,and seductively reached into her panties... and pulled out a crumpled Fifty Dollar bill.

He took the crumpled Fifty Dollar bill and started breathing a little quicker with anticipation.

Chongo, Tube may be on to something here. Wink

Posts: 1824 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
Tubetone, I like the way you think. On the other hand, I'd react and be in orbit like Chongo. I'll try to recall your sage wisdom the next time Mrs aileron doesn't react the same way I would in what may be (un)important life events.

Best, aileron.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tubetone:
quote:
What pissed me off even more is she used to be a paralegal with a firm that did insurance litigation.

Chongo,

I've enjoyed so many of your posts for such a long time. I've been married 41 years.

Since your wife has some knowledge, she may have some experience of her own.

You seem to borrow a lot of anxiety from the future - the costs of repair, who is liable, who will report to insurance and many other things.

People settle traffic incidents quietly among themselves all the time - no matter what the law says or the amount of the damage where there are no injuries.

Was the F150 already partly crumpled before he hit her? Is he in existing trouble for a previous accident such that he doesn't want to report anything to anyone?

This may indeed be a teaching moment in your marriage. It's up to you to decide who could learn what. Consider this from a post I saw the other day:

Wink

Maybe your wife could tell you in a better way when things inevitably arise.

Maybe you might say, "To hell with the garage, what else you got in there?"

Maybe after things settle down, you could send her the above story and say, "Hey, you could have told me better."

Lightening up saves room on the Richter scale for the big ones.

I’m not going to yell and cuss at my wife over this, however it is unacceptable to get into a wreck and not exchange the required information. Especially in a brand new car that isn’t yours (though it’s common property, I pay the payment and the insurance, you get the idea).

The wreck wasn’t settled.

-JALLEN

posted Hide Post
If there's no damage, there's no diminished value.

It's very unlikely there's no damage. Jeeps love to have buckle the tailgate when they get hit in the spare tire.

If he files a claim, get your damage repaired through his company and pursue a claim for diminished value through them.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:

It's very unlikely there's no damage. Jeeps love to have buckle the tailgate when they get hit in the spare tire.

If he files a claim, get your damage repaired through his company and pursue a claim for diminished value through them.

Except I can’t pick up the phone and call the guy, since my wife didn’t get his name. Or number.

Can’t find out if they are filing a claim, without either filing one myself or waiting to see if his insurance tries to contact me...with the phone number they don’t have.

See one of my predicaments?

-JALLEN

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
He could very well claim she backed into him.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34105 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Let me see if I get this right. NC insurance cards don't list any information like agent and policy number? Kentucky insurance cards have insured names, policy numbers, effective date, agents name and phone number, etc. That would be a starting point to call the agent to see if you can ID the driver off of the information obtained from the agent. Easy way to do it is to get a name as a starting point and stalk FB until you find a dude that your wife can ID as the driver. FB is a great investigative tool. (I know you already know this).

In Kentucky, with some really rare exceptions, we always write up the one that DOES THE REAR ENDING as Unit One on the report. Unit Two, your wife in this case, had the right of way, and Unit One failed to yield the right of way to Unit Two. To me, it matters not if the other party files a claim. It is not going to effect you if you have no damage, nor will it effect your insurance rates. She had the right of way (at least in this state).

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
And why do I have to jump through all those hoops?

Ahhh, yes. Because she didn’t get the information.

How many wreck reports have I taken where insurance wasn’t accurate or active? Drivers denied driving or gave some shady BS? Said somebody had borrowed it? I’ve spent weeks trying to pin people down during accident investigations, just in my own city.

Tags bad, for another vehicle, stolen, etc?

Insurance for same make but different VIN?

I’ve seen all that. She has too. Absolutely no excuse to not get the basic information.

And in NC your rates can go up if you are in an accident even if you are NOT at fault. Another reason I’d want to speak to the other driver.

-JALLEN

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah them wimmin-folks be crazy Chongo, no doubt.

Good luck figuring it all out.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:

Except I can’t pick up the phone and call the guy, since my wife didn’t get his name. Or number.

Can’t find out if they are filing a claim, without either filing one myself or waiting to see if his insurance tries to contact me...with the phone number they don’t have.

See one of my predicaments?

Take your spare tire off and check for damage. If none, I wouldn't worry about it.

If there is, call the company on the card and ask them if there is a claim was filed.

I get that you're upset about her not getting the info, it happens. No point in grousing over it anymore, just gotta deal with it.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post