SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any cub/boy scount den leaders here?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any cub/boy scount den leaders here? Login/Join 
posted
I was wondering if they teach kids about survival stuff ?

besides the building a fire, a snow cave or a lean too.

Is there any education at all about predators , public situational awareness , stranger danger and the like ?

dealing with the general public instead of hunting and fishing, foraging?

Do they offer merit badges for stressful or dangerous persons interaction?

I was only a scout for one summer and no one ever said a word about suburban survival

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54604 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
I was wondering if they teach kids about survival stuff ?

besides the building a fire, a snow cave or a lean too.

Is there any education at all about predators , public situational awareness , stranger danger and the like ?

dealing with the general public instead of hunting and fishing, foraging?

Do they offer merit badges for stressful or dangerous persons interaction?

I was only a scout for one summer and no one ever said a word about suburban survival

Den leader and Assistant Cubmaster here.

The Boy Scouts of America (BSA) requires each boy to take Cyber Safety and parents to go through personal safety, i.e. "stranger danger," etc.

By predator, do you mean like sexual predator, or actual, lions and tigers type predators?

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4876 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
For Cub Scouts, this training is required to earn their first rank and then each year.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yes, sexual predator.

or even an abusive adult, how to recognize, the signs , who to contact or where to go about stuff they can not control.

Posts: 54604 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
yes, sexual predator.

or even an abusive adult, how to recognize, the signs , who to contact or where to go about stuff they can not control.

At the front of every Cub Scout handbook, at every rank, is a 23 page pamphlet, "Youth Protection," that parents are supposed to go through with their Scout. It covers sexual abuse, physical abuse by both youth and adults, emotional abuse, bullying, etc. It includes guidelines for parents to recognize signs of abuse and things to discuss with the Scout. Including who to report, what to report, trusting their instinct, "secrets and surprises" as traps, and their private parts.

Here is a link to the BSA Youth Protection booklet.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4876 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
They didn’t have suburbs when I was a Cub Scout.

We had no reason to fear strangers. There weren’t many of them, anyway.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
We had no reason to fear strangers. There weren’t many of them, anyway.

my sentiments exactly ,

but I have to follow that statement with
" that we knew of"

40 years later storys come out

posted Hide Post
I’m on the pack committee for my son and as of this week my daughter.... I have to take youth protection training every year and for adults it’s not just teaching the kids about predators but also for protecting the adults like having 2 adults for every event and rules for car travel and never being out of eyesight with a child that isn’t yours. Many other youth organizations basically copy the BSA youth protection. Now with girls jointing scouts a new rule is at least 1 female adult has to be present at the meetings/events. The new rules for girls are eveolving weekly

Posts: 4757 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Committee member and Tiger den leader here. The Youth Protection training is required every 2 years for adults. It's required for all Pack leadership before the Pack can re-charter (every year).

Our Pack also had some type of cyber training/video a few months ago at our Pack meeting...for the kids. It was a 20 minute video or so. I was getting other stuff ready so I wasn't paying attention.

Posts: 5759 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I was an Assistant Scoutmaster one year, and active for many years.

Yes, BSA requires adults to be trained in what the call "Youth Protection," which are methods to avoid any situations in which scouts could be abused. It is primarily centered around no one adult ever being with a boy or group of boys. The boys get education in similar topics.

There are no merit badges, but they do get education about protecting themselves.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
The local Council should have two videos available, It Happened to Me is aimed at Cub Scout, A Time to Tell is aimed at Boy Scouts (ages 11-14). Ask the Pack Committee Chair if they have a Youth Protection Advocate designated. Although you need to be careful, these types of questions can be a useful Adult recruiting opportunity.

PS. ElToro, take the Venture Youth Protection online course. It seems to me that most Cub Scout activities will not be greatly impacted with a coed Pack (Dens are supposed to be single sex). Outdoor overnight Cub Scout activities should be a "family camping" experience. So no real changes there. At the Boy Scout level is where things are royally screwed up. I can make coed patrols work, but that does not seem to be the path that many are willing to go.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
is there a rule edict or general understanding that two adults are required , or one adult and no less than four kids should be off by them selves at one time?

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Two deep leadership is the catchphrase. Two adults with any group of scouts, no matter the number of scouts.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MrToad
posted Hide Post
N00b Cubmaster here. +1 to what has been said above. YPT training is required for Scouts and adult volunteers, and two deep leadership is the watchword when working with the kids. The Cyberchip is required for the Cub Scouts as well, which I believe they (currently) have to renew ("recharge") each year.

If you like religion, laws or sausage, then you shouldn't watch them being made.

Posts: 3342 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Two deep leadership is the catchphrase. Two adults with any group of scouts, no matter the number of scouts.

Yes, but no "One on One" contact is the redline. Merit Badge Councilor is the classic example. Two adults are better but not required, but the Youth can not meet one on one with the adult, two or more youth can meet with a single adult. Better to meet at Scouts home with a parent present. But it is not required. Two deep is more about outdoor safety, always having an adult present, even in the event of an accident.
Also traveling in a vehicle does not require two adults per vehicle, but an adult can not be alone with a youth, unless they are a direct relative.
There are other situations, but as long as you follow on "one on one" contact you are within policy.
PS. No one on one extends to electronic communications, email, texting, social media, etc. Our troop website has an email feature, and is the way we communicate rather than email client, it automatically copies parents of a Scout when you send an email on our system.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
this is good news

PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Yes to everything you asked and much, if not all, of it is required for advancement.

Former den leader.

My scout is bridging over to Boy Scouts next month.

0:01

Posts: 4206 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post