SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ok...new laptop time.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ok...new laptop time. Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
I'm looking for laptop suggestions for the best bang for my buck at the $500 mark. I know jack about this, and humbly seek the assistance of those that do (and thank you for prior assistance you've already offered).

Specific wants: Numerical key pad, 256GB+ SSD, and SD card port. Other than that, I want the best I can get at that price point.

Here are two I'm looking at:

Refurbished HP (Much better of the 2)

New Asus

Any obvious issues with either?

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
ha! you just missed my thread, for like 10 more bucks you get a DVD rewritable.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...360064324#8360064324

my Laptop comes wednesday

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I'd go with the HP. The only Asus product I ever had was a motherboard that I put in a medium tower that I built. It didn't hold up. Of course, this was over 15 years ago, so they may be better today. HP on the other hand has been building computing products for much longer. I have one of their laptops from about 10 years ago and it's still running like a champ with Win7 pro on it.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
ha! you just missed my thread, for like 10 more bucks you get a DVD rewritable.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...360064324#8360064324

my Laptop comes wednesday

I searched...I went 6 pages deep in my search...before I posted. I shit thee not Wink

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Avoid the AMD A-series processors. SLOOOOOOOOW.
I would look at a intel proc with a HDD before I went AMD/SSD. You pay out the nose for a SSD in a laptop. Probably almost cheaper to by HDD + Good SSD.
This + This

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I like Deqlyn's ASUS. 15.6" screen AND the winning feature for me is the numerical keypad.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you seen the new Sams ad??
Not sure if the Dell they are offering has the SD card reader but can you get those to attach via USB port?

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
I'd go with the HP. The only Asus product I ever had was a motherboard that I put in a medium tower that I built. It didn't hold up. Of course, this was over 15 years ago, so they may be better today. HP on the other hand has been building computing products for much longer. I have one of their laptops from about 10 years ago and it's still running like a champ with Win7 pro on it.

You almost certainly have had other Asus products. They make about 40% of the world's motherboards, including many that get rebadged with other companies' logos. Asus has been around for a long time but was relatively unknown until pretty recently because they used to be mainly an OEM and most of what they made had someone else's name on it.

E.g., millions and millions of people have bought Apple iPhones and very few of them have probably ever even heard of Foxconn, which is the company that actually makes them (using some parts made by yet other companies that most people have never heard of).

I haven't had an Asus laptop in 10 years, but I had one I was very happy with 10+ years ago. I've also seen Asus machines with problems.

At the time I was in college and working as IT support for students. We did both hardware and software. I developed a VERY negative opinion on the quality of HP hardware. (The business printers were just fine, and their business computers probably were, too. I'm talking specifically about their consumer computers.) Of course, now, 10+ years later, HP's product lineup is completely unrelated to anything they had back then and seems to have developed a more positive reputation over the last few years.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I think we went over most all of this on your last thread but you do not want either of those laptops with the dog meat AMD Processors.
Find one with at least a Gen 6 Intel I-5 or I-7 with a SSD. Better if the ram is DDR4 not DDR3 too. You can thank me later.

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post