SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Buying another bypass lopper - straight or curved?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buying another bypass lopper - straight or curved? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
Hi, I want to buy another bypass lopper. I'm looking at Felco products. They have both straight and curved cutting heads for bypass loppers. When would I choose one or the other?

For example:

https://www.felco.com/us_en/ou...s/felco-200a-60.html

https://www.felco.com/us_en/ou...s/felco-210a-60.html

Any other high end recommendations?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
ny other high end recommendations?
Corona

Posts: 6455 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
VERY little difference. The "curved" might allow a tiny bit more cutting power by getting the branch a tad deeper in the sweet spot of the jaws, but the "straight" hand has the serrated anvil, which help prevent the branch pushing out.

They have interchangeable/replacable blades and the blades are the only difference. Bot are rated for the same size cut. You could swap them later if desired...

For the best of both styles... I might be tempted to buy the curved and add the serrations myself, if needed, with a file or angle grinder. But thats just me... Big Grin. I might also look for a longer handle pruner.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
The curved blade looks a little more robust, hence the price difference.

Year V

Posts: 2630 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
quote:
ny other high end recommendations?
Corona

I was always perfectly happy with the Corona hand pruners I had, until they disappeared somewhere and I bought some Felco ones. I think the Felco hand pruners are better than Corona. I don't know that the same is true for loppers, but based on that experience I'd be inclined to pick Felco.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Felcos, absolutely.

Differences:

1) The curved one is slightly smaller in profile and so might fit better into tight areas (i.e. get closer to the trunk when pruning) than the straight one.

2) The straight ones are about $8 cheaper on that site.

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I got a 24” curved blade head. Still not really sure the difference but I think my current is curved so I’ll stick with it. This one will be about 5” shorter than current so hopefully it will have enough leverage. I also picked up a Silky curved pruning saw. I hope 10” with large teeth is a good size.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I would get the curved, because of more blade contact in the cut.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
I also picked up a Silky curved pruning saw. I hope 10” with large teeth is a good size.

Silky saws are like magic. If you've never used one before, you're in for a treat.

Japanese saws use a very different tooth geometry from western saws. They are impossible to hand sharpen, but it's OK, because they are impulse-hardened super hard and stay sharp a long time. The blades are replaceable and not very expensive. They cut like nothing else.

The larger the teeth, the faster the saw will cut, but the rougher the cut will be.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:

Silky saws are like magic. If you've never used one before, you're in for a treat.

Japanese saws use a very different tooth geometry from western saws. They are impossible to hand sharpen, but it's OK, because they are impulse-hardened super hard and stay sharp a long time. The blades are replaceable and not very expensive. They cut like nothing else.

The larger the teeth, the faster the saw will cut, but the rougher the cut will be.

This will be my first. Need this to cover thin branches larger than a lopper can handle. Maybe 1-3" max.

I got the Zubat - hope this is a good model. If I wanted one for cleaner cuts, can you recommend a model? (medium teeth?).

Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
You picked the best tools. The Zubat will work just fine. Be careful and make sure none of your body parts are in the path under what you are cutting. Some of my employees have managed to cut themselves with their handsaws. Those blades are very, very sharp.

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Things I learned on SF:
1) buy once, cry once
2) avoid PRC made products, especially metals.

Smile

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I have a folding one ("BigBoy 2000") with 360mm blade and 6.5 teeth per 30mm ("extra large" teeth). I bought a folding one rather than a Zubat because I use it for trail clearing sometimes and didn't want to have to deal with a scabbard. Since I bought it mainly for trail clearing and cutting up downed branches, I bought the coarsest teeth available for the size saw I wanted to get the fastest cut.

The cut of the extra large teeth is fine for my purposes - if you find the roughness of the cut objectionable given what you're using it for, I'd order a replacement blade a step or two finer and see how you like it.

I don't think the cuts are bad at all, but some people want really smooth pruning cuts.