SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How to repel foxes?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to repel foxes? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
What's the story with that little guy, Chuck?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Tuckered out from shopping, is my guess.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9144 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Yep, a random internet photo of a baby fox that I knew of. Fortunately or not, not my photo.

Seems so out of place for the fox to be so comfortable that he would nap on the hood of a car in a parking lot.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Fanny Packs.
First post in nearly 8 months and it's a winner. What else you got bottled up?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8614 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
The fox is a scavenger-predator. Can you acquire the scat of a larger predator animal such as a wolf, bear, cougar, lion, or tiger?

https://www.treehugger.com/nat...rding-off-pests.html

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:

Tired of chasing Rabbits

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Fanny Packs.

No posts for eight months and he comes back with a zinger. Well done! Big Grin

yes, well done! A post you could end your career on! Big Grin I was gonna go with Crocs

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, this has been a surprisingly enjoyable thread! Love the baby fox on the car!

It turns out Dicks Sporting Goods sells Coyote Urine. Not my favorite place to shop after their AR-15 fiasco, but they are close by and convenient. I am going to get some and spray around the perimeter of the fence.

Now, for the latest in this saga between my poodles and local wild life...This morning, around 5:00AM, I am still asleep, but Mrs. btanchors is up (she always gets up very early) taking the poodles outside to do their business. Our youngest poodle (10 months old) sees a skunk in the yard and wants to play with it. He got sprayed.

I always thought standard protocol was to bath the dog in tomato juice. But Mrs. btanchors says there is a new protocol. Wash the dog in Hydrogen Peroxide and Baking Soda.

Dog didn't like the bath but there is no odor on the dog at all. But now there is the lingering odor of skunk in my house. We have three scented candles going but so far, the odor still lingers. Any ideas for helping to clear that smell away?

I don't think there is anything unusual attracting these animals to our backyard. We never feed or water the dogs outside, that is all done inside so there is no dog food or water out there. Our garbage cans are in the back, but we never throw away food as that generally goes down the garbage disposer.

I don't mind the wild animals coming into our backyard except for the scat they leave behind - that is the only reason I want to repel them. We will give the Coyote Urine a try...

Posts: 944 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had a fox stalking the chicken coop. It hasn't got in yet but sure its just a matter of time. I have run him off a few times and caught it on a game cam. I am hoping popping him in the butt with a bb gun might be a detterent. Getting a shot at the the little bugger is tough. I haven't seen him while "armed". I told the wife I need night vision for the fox assault rifle but she is not buying it. I will try the urine trick.

Posts: 300 | Location: Canyon Lake, TX | Registered: December 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Apparently buying a Buick doesn't work.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31427 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fanny Packs.

you sir owe me a keyboard. Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 5587 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by F_L:
I have had a fox stalking the chicken coop. It hasn't got in yet but sure its just a matter of time. I have run him off a few times and caught it on a game cam. I am hoping popping him in the butt with a bb gun might be a deterrent...

Tried that a few years ago, nothing worked until I switched to a shotgun. It was a shame, two beautiful red foxes which in better circumstances I would love watching, but I had to protect my brood.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9144 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
Tried that a few years ago, nothing worked until I switched to a shotgun. It was a shame, two beautiful red foxes which in better circumstances I would love watching, but I had to protect my brood.

Shooting it with a real firearm is not an option. Illegal to discharge firearms in my area so have to resort to bb/pellet air gun. These are grey foxes. Looks like a mom and dad, one young one they are teaching to hunt. Beautiful animals I would like to just discourage. Fortunately right now it's just a lonely rooster named Moe in the coop. But in a few more weeks some lady friends will be joining him. I'd like to get the foxes under control by then. If not I will have to fox-proof the chicken run.

Posts: 300 | Location: Canyon Lake, TX | Registered: December 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got some coyote urine granules and sprinkled it around the chicken run. Less than 4 hours later the trail cam sees this.
Pretty obvious the coyote urine has no effect on raccoons. They appear to be sniffing the granules I spread on the retaining wall. Time to build a better coop.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
Foxes keep down the rodent population. The more the merrier.

Also good for parties.

Depending on your location, Fox can be carriers of rabies and fleas. No beuno. Check with your local veternarian on their take. Foxes poop, in part, to mark territory. We used to spray ammonia on it and that seemed to keep them away. Again, ask a vet or local farm bureau/extension service, if you have one available.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Fanny Packs.

No posts for eight months and he comes back with a zinger. Well done! Big Grin

Yeah, where the heck have you been 46&2?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
I love that^^^^^^^^picture. I’d sleep well at night with that guarding my property!

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10908 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post