SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How to repel foxes?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to repel foxes? Login/Join 
posted
I have a fenced in back yard where my poodles play. I keep finding fox scat in my yard. I am pretty sure it is from foxes as they are common in my area, and my fence is not high enough to keep them out.

It is an annoyance since my poodles want to either roll in it, or eat it.

I don't want to harm any foxes, and at any rate, I think they are mostly nocturnal anyway, so I don't see them when they come.

Is there anything I can use to repel the foxes without harming them?

Posts: 941 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Fanny Packs.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Fanny Packs.

Big Grin

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
Are you sure they are going over the fence? Around here they seem to dig under them.

If they are digging under it, attach some chicken wire to the bottom of the fence and then bury it to keep the from digging under the fence.

I've not found any repellent that works well for them.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6476 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fanny Packs.

And those glasses they used to give out in navy bootcamp.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Looking something like this pretty much almost always results on "Fox On The Run"...especially with fanny packs and boot camp glasses tossed in Big Grin...

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
As with 93flhr, I wonder how the are getting in.

Perhaps it’s a different critter? Ask around and see what your neighbors have. I’d first suspect raccoons or possums. Then there’s a game camera. I’m always surprised at what goes on at night.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
It would be really unusual for a fox to come into a yard where there are dogs unless there is a source of food they are after. I would put up a trail camera to find out who you are dealing with. Maybe raccoons or opossums?

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fanny Packs.
Very good. Big Grin

I was gonna say varicose veins or toupees but I like yours better.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Hell at my age I have no desire at all to repel any foxes! They're all welcome! Big Grin Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Foxes keep down the rodent population. The more the merrier.

Also good for parties.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Foxhounds.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fanny Packs.

No posts for eight months and he comes back with a zinger. Well done! Big Grin

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fill your hands
you son of a bitch
posted Hide Post
Go to a sporting goods store and get some coyote urine and sprinkle it around. Chases away foxes, raccoons, skunks,deer and most people.

Posts: 456 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hooch:
Go to a sporting goods store and get some coyote urine and sprinkle it around. Chases away foxes, raccoons, skunks,deer and most people.

Yurn...works every time!

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, pretty sure they are foxes. The neighbor across the street is complaining they actually come onto his deck and sleep on the deck at night.

Our fence is a typical split rail fence. Not very tall. We've even seen deer jump over it into our back yard. Mrs. btanchors has even seen foxes walking along the top rail of the fence! Pretty amazing they keep their balance.

Posts: 941 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fanny Packs.

Post of the day.

Posts: 8603 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
We have been coexisting with a Family of red foxes here for about 20 years. They have their kits about 300 yds from the house, in a den dug into a hillside. Then we see them hunting in our hayfield occasionally.

Few days ago one came into the yard to hit the outside dog/cat water bowl and our big tom cat CHASED the fox away.

Frankly they don't do much, short of leaving little fox turds here and there.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post