SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dehumidifier woes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dehumidifier woes Login/Join 
posted
Are there any good dehumidifiers available to buy in the United States now?

Last year I bought a 70 pint Frigidaire dehumidifier. It lasted 1 year and 2 days.It had the best reviews from any I could find. I had read they are all junk now so I bought the extended warranty and they are going to reimburse me.

So every year do I have to be looking for a new one, or will a company make one that will last?

I am getting reimbursed but that does not include the money I spent on the extended warranty.

Posts: 12577 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FYI, I bought a Danby that is no longer made I've had for 6 flawless years. It is in a much bigger space than it was designed for, yet it keeps chugging along. It was a 25 pint model which they discontinued. BTW, I own that Frigidaire model that Consumer Reports rated number 1. ( it came with a house we bought). Don't like it. Runs all the darned time. The Danby shuts off when not needed and it tells me the humidity. The fridge does neither, wonder if the CU rater folks were stoned when they rated it.

Edit, looked it up, Bought in 2008 - OPPS 10 YEARS OLD!, and I live in a wet place with a leaky brick foundation basement.
Ordered: 1 MAS009 Danby 25 pint dehumidifier DDR2506 $157.95

I'd buy another in a heart beat, but I have a Fridge as backup now of course.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Just saw something the other day that I didn’t know existed. They were bags with the activated product inside that collected water. A relative had several in a damp, lower area of her house.

They may of been slightly smaller than the average Walmart bag. They seemed to have almost a quart of water inside, still collecting. Of course they may not take the place of a good dehumidifier, just a supplement.

Posts: 6130 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Interesting.

I’ve got a Frigidaire that has been running almost continuously at 50% or less setting in an uninsulated leaky cabin with only a window unit in rural Alabama for 3 years now.

Won’t last forever, but they may be the best option available and worth another shot?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my Frigidaire is going on 5 years and still chugging along. Besy one I have ever had

NRA Life Member

Posts: 240 | Location: Kiawah Island, SC | Registered: July 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OP,

I think I have the same (or very similar) Frigidaire model. Mine has been working for about 3 years straight. I haven't yet tried it this season.

All of these types of units are made in China now. I consider them disposable appliances - you don't repair them, you just toss them. I think if you get more than 3 years out of them, you're doing well.

If the extended warranty is at a reasonable price and you trust the vendor to live up to the terms of the warranty, it's probably worth it.

There are quality commercial units you can buy that would last a lot longer, but they start at $1,000 and go up from there. For that price, I'd rather buy the cheap ones - you can buy four cheap ones for that price.

Posts: 941 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post