SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Life's Simple Pleasures - Vine Ripened Maters and a Shaker of Salt
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Life's Simple Pleasures - Vine Ripened Maters and a Shaker of Salt Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Those maters look good! I like ‘em with a dollop of mayo.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8936 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Picked the first cherry tomato of the year last night. Regular ones are still a ways off.

Posts: 1960 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
The tomatoes were on the vine 3 minutes before the pic of yesterday's BLT:

I have been on a keto diet since mid-February so I haven't been eating bread. Found out yesterday that HEB's bakery makes keto bread on-site so I picked up a fresh loaf yesterday along with a small bottle of Duke's mayo. No final pics as I rapidly lost interest in photography and devoured the 2 sandwiches.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23221 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^NOT Enough Bacon! I can still see bread....You need at least two more slices to be full 'Keto Compliant'! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8870 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Living on the Gulf coast of SW Florida, gotta say our tomatoes suck! Grew my own for few years, but birds, rabbits and humongous tomato caterpillars convinced me it was way too time consuming. My daughter in law brings me 24-36 bottles of home canned ones as well as a sack of fresh picked ones when she visits from SC.

"All warfare is based on deception" Sun Tzu, The art of War

Posts: 552 | Location: Gulf Coast of SW Florida | Registered: August 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Stupid Tomato Hornworms got mine this year and started feasting on our pepper plants.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Stupid Tomato Hornworms got mine this year and started feasting on our pepper plants.
Bacillus thuringiensis (B.t.) kills the shit out of 'em and it's organic. Spray them top and bottom of leaves every 5 to 7 days a few hatch cycles in a row. You'll know they're dead when holes quit appearing and their poo quits appearing.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23221 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Yum! Ours aren't ripe yet, but they're getting there. Probably late this week or next. I'll eat them plain, with salt, in a BLT, in salsa...you name it. Love me some fresh 'maters.

Posts: 8545 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Only put two plants in the ground and they're the variety you can keep in the pot (smallish plant, smallish fruit) but I put Miracle Grow on them every week and they are pumping out tomatoes.

Very satisfied with the production as when I lived in TX the rats ate the green ones and the birds ate the ones the rats missed.

Peronally I don't really care for raw tomatoes but wife is super happy!!

Next year I'll have a bunch of plants and flood the world with Better Boys and Romas!!!

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I like them on the green side, also love picking the small cukes and eating them right out of the garden. just add salt.

Posts: 5590 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
We are several weeks behind you here in NC, we have a lot of young ones but no where near as nice as yours.

I can't wait.!

Posts: 3850 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
... want some ... shoot

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Bacillus thuringiensis (B.t.) kills the shit out of 'em and it's organic. Spray them top and bottom of leaves every 5 to 7 days a few hatch cycles in a row. You'll know they're dead when holes quit appearing and their poo quits appearing.

Thanks! The remainder of this season we are doing a morning recon, and removing them by hand. Our pepper plants are going crazy! Over 3 feet tall and so many blooms it looks like a flower market.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jealous! Damn squirrels eat mine before they get ripe.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Those look great and bring back great memories. It’s been way too long since I ate one of those with nothing but salt.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post