SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Doves building a nest... on the air conditioner
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Doves building a nest... on the air conditioner Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Had a bird get into my compressor on my A/C last year. The bird lost. Didn't even damage the compressor. The bird parts in the grill was a little disturbing though.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Dove Cam!

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:
A little Olive Oil, Butter and minced garlic.
Their breasts are definitely tasty. Smile

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15481 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2012BOSS302:
To me doves are a nuisance bird - I chase them away, they shit all over everything. They don't care about the eventual cost to repair your AC.

Plus their incessant Cooing.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Doves have the worse sense about where to put nests, just dumb.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
It is illegal to disturb nesting migratory birds. link

I enjoy shooting doves during the fall season when it's legal. There are many millions in Texas and probably more that move through from Oklahoma a points north during the fall migration, usually pushed down by a cold front.

I used to enjoy them in my bird feeder, but they've become worse than the damn squirrels. During the summer they come in flocks of 10 or more and empty the feeder in a day. Thankfully none are nesting in my yard yet. Too many hawks around.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I built an A-frame roof, out of some plywood, and stuck it on top of my father-in laws window a/c. Obviously you have to cover the front and back of the A-frame, but it worked.

Posts: 60 | Registered: January 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
I put up suitable nesting platforms around my house.

All are occupied and no problems with nests where I don't want them.
Marzy, did you make baskets like the one on pg 19, or did you put up something like this?

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where I lived in Dayton, there was a space between the front porch and the support pillar.
A Dove nested in it every year. It was poopy but I liked watching the babies hatch out.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:

That refers to an "active nest". What is the def. of an active nest?
I guess I'm reading your post as suggesting he has to act immediately.

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
I intend to evict before construction is complete....

God bless America.

Posts: 13494 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
^^^^^
I intend to evict before construction is complete....

I'm all for loving birds and any other (relatively) defenseless creature as much as the next guy. Until their inability to understand English or law leads them to trespassing, vandalism and other mischief. Then, they gotta go. As nicely as possible, but it they are persistant I'm gonna just keep evicting them, no matter how much reconstruction and starting over they have to do.

And seriously, how many times must we keep retrying the same spot after watching that mean ol' giant biped take down the foundation of our latest effort? You've never successfully started a family here, or even made it to move in. I'm looking at you barn swallows slinging mud and bird shit in my doorway and wrens on my patio speaker already surrounding by about a zillion bird spiky repellent thingies.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:

That refers to an "active nest". What is the def. of an active nest?
I guess I'm reading your post as suggesting he has to act immediately.

I'm not an expert on this subject and don't think I suggested any action or inaction was necessary. What I posted was just some information relative to the subject being discussed.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Barn swallows?

I gots two nests now.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:...

And seriously, how many times must we keep retrying the same spot after watching that mean ol' giant biped take down the foundation of our latest effort? ...

Sort of like God and trailer parks in the midwest.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:...

And seriously, how many times must we keep retrying the same spot after watching that mean ol' giant biped take down the foundation of our latest effort? ...

Sort of like God and trailer parks in the midwest.

Also New Orleans and the entire Gulf coast... Or Venice. Or Vanuatu!!! Eek

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I'm not opposed to good homes for birds (nice job, Marzy, on the work you do), but I just don't want to provide one of them.

I executed the eviction a few minutes ago... we'll see how long before they try to move in again.

God bless America.

Posts: 13494 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Well. Now that the dove nest is gone, Mrs wants to put up a hummingbird feeder.

She was as enthused about me rejecting that as I was to hear it proposed in the first place.

After evicting a couple of birds on account of mess, poo, and so forth, why in the world would I invite a batch of birds to make a mess, leave poo, etc? Confused

God bless America.