SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Doves building a nest... on the air conditioner
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Doves building a nest... on the air conditioner Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
I'm not sure what to do about this. Mrs reported a series of "scratching noises" outside an upstairs window yesterday. I opened the blinds and saw a stick lying on top of the window unit a/c. And then a bird showed up.

Looked like this:

Today there's a "ring" of sticks and twigs, bits and pieces, and so on. Clearly, the birds are starting a nest.

Naturally, Mrs says "don't disturb it! You can't do that!" And the engineer in me says, "I don't want to see a failure in that a/c unit by way of sticks and twigs falling into that vent."

I've relented a bit, giving in to my own curiosity. I'm wanting to watch this nest form. (Side topic: I'm curious now about a camera that can take pictures automatically to get a series of time-lapse pictures of the construction.)

What's proper to do, SF gurus? Let it be, or do a "premature eviction?" Confused

God bless America.

Posts: 13500 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I would turn the AC unit on and let the vibration and noise drive the birds to find a more suitable location.

Posts: 11165 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Never mind the health of the unit itself, the scratching and nuisance of having them right outside the bedroom window would be enough for me to make them move on.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7507 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I understand the fascination, but, unless you don't plan to use that AC unit, I'd suggest it'd be wise to gently persuade them to move on.

Sooner, rather than later.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I understand the fascination, but, unless you don't plan to use that AC unit, I'd suggest it'd be wise to gently persuade them to move on.

Sooner, rather than later.

Bird droppings can carry exotic diseases, possible damage to the A/C unit, stains difficult to remove.

Hope this satisfies the curiosity, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h37EwMc7M5A

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it's too late for me. I've got an overhang over patio by the back deck where I keep my BGE.
I left a 6' step ladder under there this spring and it sprouted a Robin before I knew it. The indentation on the top step, I thought it was for a paint can.

She's watching me smoke beef tenderloin right now.

Posts: 7357 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had doves nesting on my window ledges & roosting in the fir tree next to my townhome. Bird shit all over the place. These do work:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bird-...ols-_-3774089:Bird-X

&

http://www.bird-x.com/stainles...rqJsAnZ46hoC-3Hw_wcB

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:

Naturally, Mrs says "don't disturb it! You can't do that!"

Well, you sure as heck can...And should.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I put up suitable nesting platforms around my house.

All are occupied and no problems with nests where I don't want them.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
In my case, it was the dryer vent, which apparently wasn't closing completely.
They got evicted every time I did laundry, but kept coming back.
Eventually, I had to replace the flap style vent cover with a flush mount louvered design.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3142 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
If there is any bird species that builds a more poorly engineered and located nest than a dove, I'm not aware of it.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The mating pair will return each spring and nest in the same spot. Get rid of them before they get established. I had a pair on my patio for 3 years till a hawk got one of them.

-TVz

Posts: 432 | Location: North of DFW | Registered: May 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
If there is any bird species that builds a more poorly engineered and located nest than a dove, I'm not aware of it.

My Mama says doves cry because they cannot build for themselves, such a suitable habitat, and the other birds laugh at them.

/Bobby Boucher

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
They have built nests on the GF's patio behind a mirror attached to her house for several years now. They raise several families every year. You can see the little ones peeking out if you look carefully. They don't worry about humans in the area and we get a lot of pleasure from watching them.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Get some Irritape. Tie streamers around and the doves will avoid it. Not all birds will, but the doves seem to see it as a threat and won't go near it.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
I put up suitable nesting platforms around my house.

All are occupied and no problems with nests where I don't want them.
Marzy, did you make baskets like the one on pg 19, or did you put up something like this?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
We have birds all over, have various houses up too. If they get to close though, I take the nest down.

I've had mice wreck a conditioning unit years ago, disabled the cooling fan. If the Mrs has a problem with it, just do it when she's out & say 'oh well'.

In most areas doves are abundant, plenty to go around.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
To me doves are a nuisance bird - I chase them away, they shit all over everything. They don't care about the eventual cost to repair your AC.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
Mousetraps under a piece of cardboard or posterboard will dissuade them without injury.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
A little Olive Oil, Butter and minced garlic.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post